Paul Lambert

limpid

5th longest-serving implies that he's been in the job a long time but really it's not even been 2 years. There's been a high turnover of managers recently in the PL.

It implies that he's the 5th longest serving manager in the league. The point is he hasn't just been here a few months.

And neither has he been here for a particularly long time.

5th longest-serving implies that he's been in the job a long time but really it's not even been 2 years. There's been a high turnover of managers recently in the PL.

A 'long-time' is contextual though. In the current Premier League managerial climate, he has been given quite a bit of time which is why he is 5th on the list.

One could argue that he hasn't had a massive amount of time to sort out the problems at Villa.

One could also argue that he has made those problems worse on the playing side.

And I can't put it any simpler without coming across as a patronising wotsit.

Good night then I suppose.

Stefan - It's way way best your bed time :P

Sweet Dreams :P

ps - it's way past my bed time too. :P

Cocoa anyone? :)

I should be hitting the sack too, with it being another school night and all ;)

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

This must be the toughest managerial job in the Premiership, I cannot think of any other manager who would be an immediate success without an open cheque book.

Rubbish. And he doesn't have to be an immediate success, we just need to see improvement and progression to show that he can be a success. He's failed.

Who are you kidding John?  :P I think our excellent record against the top four is a good sign for the future, we just need a little tweak and polish in certain areas.

• Like 1

One could argue that he hasn't had a massive amount of time to sort out the problems at Villa.

They could. I believe two seasons is enough time though.

Edit: By 'enough time' I mean to have acheived a lot more progression than he currently has, not that it's enough time to reach the final step or anything.

With the current financial restrictions I'm not so sure. Hasn't been helped this season by horrendous injuries either.

We have a squad though. For example, Lambert chose to give Clark and Baker new contracts in the summer so if neither are good enough to offset Okore's* injury then that is a result of a failure in his judgement.

*And although he is a promising talent, we can't know how much of a success he would've been this season anyway in truth.

Unfortunately Lambert has had to assemble a squad of players while at the same time not being able to offer what most other clubs in the league can offer in terms of wages.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Lambert has had to assemble a squad of players while at the same time not being able to offer what most other clubs in the league can offer in terms of wages.

Well Clark was in all likihood on relatively competative wages given that he signed his former contract in 2010 when a lot of the academy players (Fonz, Albrighton, Bannan etc.) were given substantial contracts to keep them from the clutches of bigger teams. If Bannan was on £20-25k per week, then so was Clark.

The new contracts given in the summer were reported to be in the region of £20-30k per week so Baker's was most likely between this also.

It's all about building gradually

But that's the problem. We're not. There's been no progress built on last year and really we're not much different than when McLeish left.

At this rate it will take us another 5 years to finish in the top half.

BJ riddle me this before I go to bed.

Earlier in the season when people used league position as a barometre of progress, you immediately shot them down because "league position is a misleading stat." However, when somebody uses a 'manager time in job' league table (of sorts) as a reason to show that Lambert should be doing better, it suddenly isn't a misleading stat. Surely you should remain consistent with your approach that both 'league tables' are misleading without context?

Just a bit baffled that's all.

A league table shows how you're doing compared to everyone else. It shows he's been here longer than most. Its not proof he's been here for ages and ages but it does show that in modern football he's had a while in charge now.

But that's the problem. We're not. There's been no progress built on last year and really we're not much different than when McLeish left.

We're 7 points off the relegation zone, 6 points off top half, I'll take top half next season thanks.

Earlier in the season when people used league position as a barometre of progress, you immediately shot them down because "league position is a misleading stat." However, when somebody uses a 'manager time in job' league table (of sorts) as a reason to show that Lambert should be doing better, it suddenly isn't a misleading stat. Surely you should remain consistent with your approach that both 'league tables' are misleading without context?

A league table shows how you're doing compared to everyone else. It shows he's been here longer than most. Its not proof he's been here for ages and ages but it does show that in modern football he's had a while in charge now.

If the job was your usual premier league managers job then you'd have a point. Jeez, I was speaking to a Derby fan who understands what Lambert has had to do better than some on here do.

If the job was your usual premier league managers job then you'd have a point. Jeez, I was speaking to a Derby fan who understands what Lambert has had to do better than some on here do.

Probably because he doesn't have to watch this shit.

So when are we allowed to question Lambert, once we are relegated perhaps? Yes, he has had the lowest budget in the league, but he has not made the job easy with some of his decisions. He has been here for a year and a half and people can quite rightly question him.

Edited by dodgyknees

We're 7 points off the relegation zone, 6 points off top half, I'll take top half next season thanks.

We'd all take top half next season. Just there's not much evidence to suggest he will get it.

This must be the toughest managerial job in the Premiership, I cannot think of any other manager who would be an immediate success without an open cheque book.

Rubbish. And he doesn't have to be an immediate success, we just need to see improvement and progression to show that he can be a success. He's failed.

Who are you kidding John?  :P I think our excellent record against the top four is a good sign for the future, we just need a little tweak and polish in certain areas.

It's a shame our record against the other 15 is so dire then.

• Like 1

So when are we allowed to question Lambert, once we are relegated perhaps? Yes, he has had the lowest budget in the league, but he has not made the job easy with some of his decisions. He has been here for a year and a half and people can quite rightly question him.

Can question him whenever you like. It just seems you can't defend him whenever though.

.....of the Championship

Can question him whenever you like. It just seems you can't defend him whenever though.

I have been defending him for months, I'm now struggling to find ways to defend him. Yes he has been restricted with finances compared to other clubs, but he has not helped himself.

Even if/when we are relegated, the pro lambert collective would probably argue we should keep him as he's the best man to get us promoted

• Like 1

That's probably due to not having to pay to watch the dross served up by Lambert and his team over the last two seasons.

Â