Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm not sure its a quesiton of "defending" Lambert some of his tactics have not been defensible.

Its more a question of trying to add balance or context to his situation. The is so much more WRONG at Villa than the manager, he is not the priority change.

• Like 2

So when are we allowed to question Lambert, once we are relegated perhaps? Yes, he has had the lowest budget in the league, but he has not made the job easy with some of his decisions. He has been here for a year and a half and people can quite rightly question him.

Can question him whenever you like. It just seems you can't defend him whenever though.

Of course you can defend him but that defence has become as brittle as the teams due to Lambert's record with us.

BJ riddle me this before I go to bed.

Earlier in the season when people used league position as a barometre of progress, you immediately shot them down because "league position is a misleading stat." However, when somebody uses a 'manager time in job' league table (of sorts) as a reason to show that Lambert should be doing better, it suddenly isn't a misleading stat. Surely you should remain consistent with your approach that both 'league tables' are misleading without context?

Just a bit baffled that's all.

A league table shows how you're doing compared to everyone else. It shows he's been here longer than most. Its not proof he's been here for ages and ages but it does show that in modern football he's had a while in charge now.

If the job was your usual premier league managers job then you'd have a point. Jeez, I was speaking to a Derby fan who understands what Lambert has had to do better than some on here do.

That's probably due to not having to pay to watch the dross served up by Lambert and his team over the last two seasons.

Was it dross when we beat Arsenal, Man City or Chelsea? When we smashed Sunderland 6-1?

Yes there has been a great deal of dross but to say that the entirety of Lambert's tenure has been rubbish is ridiculous.

Earlier in the season when people used league position as a barometre of progress, you immediately shot them down because "league position is a misleading stat." However, when somebody uses a 'manager time in job' league table (of sorts) as a reason to show that Lambert should be doing better, it suddenly isn't a misleading stat. Surely you should remain consistent with your approach that both 'league tables' are misleading without context?

A league table shows how you're doing compared to everyone else. It shows he's been here longer than most. Its not proof he's been here for ages and ages but it does show that in modern football he's had a while in charge now.

If the job was your usual premier league managers job then you'd have a point. Jeez, I was speaking to a Derby fan who understands what Lambert has had to do better than some on here do.

That's probably due to not having to pay to watch the dross served up by Lambert and his team over the last two seasons.

Was it dross when we beat Arsenal, Man City or Chelsea? When we smashed Sunderland 6-1?

Yes there has been a great deal of dross but to say that the entirety of Lambert's tenure has been rubbish is ridiculous.

Point out where I've said that.

Point out where I've said that.

people need to put Lambert into the context of what he has to work with. Cardiff the 2nd bottom team have spent about the same this season than Lambert entire reign. Could Mourinho or Ferguson so wonders with his budget, its hard to tell especially when even if he wanted experienced Premier League players they cost about 3 or 4 million more because they come from same league or are English

I'm not sure its a quesiton of "defending" Lambert some of his tactics have not been defensible.

Its more a question of trying to add balance or context to his situation. The is so much more WRONG at Villa than the manager, he is not the priority change.

Completly agree. He's the easiest change though and still needs to be made.

So when are we allowed to question Lambert, once we are relegated perhaps? Yes, he has had the lowest budget in the league, but he has not made the job easy with some of his decisions. He has been here for a year and a half and people can quite rightly question him.

Even if/when we are relegated, the pro lambert collective would probably argue we should keep him as he's the best man to get us promoted

This is the kind of rubbish that has people banging their heads against a wall. We've not been in the relegation zone all season, I'm not saying that's an achievement but I don't see why this should be discussed when were actually closer on points (which we've all learnt is the most important thing) to the top half.

Ah the paying argument again, do we have to go over this again?

Can question him whenever you like. It just seems you can't defend him whenever though.
I have been defending him for months, I'm now struggling to find ways to defend him. Yes he has been restricted with finances compared to other clubs, but he has not helped himself.

And this edefneding him have also said he hasn't helped himself but believe they've seen enough to suggest he is worth sticking with. The 3rd season was also make or break for me, nothings changed that.

I don't really like Lambert all that much, I've never warmed to him. I don't know why! Maybe it's because he comes across as dour and uninspiring; and his general demeanour irritates me.

I was kind of glad when he came though because he wasn't Alex McLeish. I think at that point, however, they could have stuck my old girl in the dug out as manager and I'd have rejoiced. I hated that negative, ginger word removed so much that I'd have considered anyone an improvement.

But...saying this: I'm resigned to the fact that he'll almost certainly be here next year. I'm pretty certain he'll get another £20 odd million to spend. I can't do anything other than wait to see what he does with the money and how we perform again next season.

The debate has been done on him - it's a pointless war of attrition now and nobody will reform their opinion.

• Like 2

To the pro-Lambert fans, I'm assuming you want him to have a 3rd season. At what point in the 3rd season would you say he's either succeeded or needs replacing ? I mean if he marginally improves our home form next season will that represent progress ?? He's starting from a very low base which he has set himself

To the pro-Lambert fans, I'm assuming you want him to have a 3rd season. At what point in the 3rd season would you say he's either succeeded or needs replacing ? I mean if he marginally improves our home form next season will that represent progress ?? He's starting from a very low base which he has set himself

I'd consider myself Pro-Lambert I suppose as I believe the ball drops firmly with the CEO...

But results wise, I think December. I want to see what he can do with a CAM and maybe a CDM too. I do believe those two positions would make a massive difference but alas, I'm not sure I'll get my wish.

Plus by then, I'm guessing Benteke might have left.

Sigh.

Ah the paying argument again, do we have to go over this again?

You don't think its valid when your big argument was what a derby fan thinks?

If there is no progress BEFORE christmas - ie persistent terrible football, no improvement in results and performances. We should be around 10th in the league playing something that represents positive attacking football.

BUT there are other factors that will affect this. The fans need to get behind him, as difficult as it maybe nothing will change with the undercurrent of whining and moaning. Lerner needs to put some significant investment into the club in the summer. The books are balanced now, there is no excuse not to put in at least £40m into the playing squad.

• Like 1

I have been defending him for months, I'm now struggling to find ways to defend him. Yes he has been restricted with finances compared to other clubs, but he has not helped himself.
And this edefneding him have also said he hasn't helped himself but believe they've seen enough to suggest he is worth sticking with. The 3rd season was also make or break for me, nothings changed that.

A handful of moments vs the vast majority of his time here. There may be the odd moment to suggest it will be good but there's lots and lots and lots that suggest it won't.

That base was set before he arrived.

I give him until Jan.

Marginally increasing the home form will of course mean progress, as long as the away form is maintained. Surely any sort of progress is progress no matter how little. I don't think we've been involved in a relegation battle this season so I'd expect to finish between 10th and 13th next season or between 45 and 50 points. If you prefer points.

A handful of moments vs the vast majority of his time here. There may be the odd moment to suggest it will be good but there's lots and lots and lots that suggest it won't.

And like iev said those moments are enough for people to believe he can succeed.

Â