Paul Lambert

limpid

Leicester, QPR, Hull, Burnley, Albion etc. will all be looking at who are the 3 teams shitter than them and I bet every one of them has looked at the fact that we have managed only 11 goals so far this season and have the worst goal difference and concluded that we are one of the 3 shitter teams and most likely to go down.

It is an absolute disgrace and Paul Lambert is very much to blame for our situation and he should be told so by the fans that pay their money to watch rubbish and be depressed every week.

I think we are bigger than some fans realise. We are of a similar size to Arsenal pre-Wenger. We have similar potential despite the landscape changing. People still talk about how big a club Leeds are, we are again of a similar size and history. Possibly similar "potential" to implode too, though that is extremely unlikely given our steady finances.

I wouldn't play down the size of a club who only need regular top half finishes to pull 40 thousand fans every week, our away support is immense too and I see plenty of Villa fans down here in London. On my way up to the Bournemouth game there were five of us on the same tube carriage from Finsbury park to Euston, at 8 o'clock in the morning, all of us strangers.

You have to realise, aside from a 3 year period when we had serious doses of hope, we have been involved in relegation battle after relegation battle for a decade. That takes its toll, apathy has well and truly set in.

Fans of other clubs, the media, they still see us as an institution. We are, but that doesn't give us the right to stay that way.

Good post.

One of those fans may have been me.

Was one tall, very handsome and had the kind of expression that screamed 'IQ > 150'?

No, but there were a couple of right ugly bastards amongst them, one myself. Might see you Saturday morning!

A journalist in Ireland was on the radio last night and he said that he was talking to someone who worked under Lambert (Wes Hoolahan) and he said that Lambert doesn't do a lot of tactical work on the training ground. Not exactly something we didn't know but it doesn't inspire confidence that this guy can keep us up.

Yet he has done so far, strange

He has been fortunate that there have been some really shite teams in the premier league the last couple of years, he certainly hasnt kept us up by being a tactical genius has he?

Isnt he lucky their is also crap teams in the Premier League again this season :)

I consider him more unlucky that there are better teams in it, too :(

Leicester, QPR, Hull, Burnley, Albion etc. will all be looking at who are the 3 teams shitter than them and I bet every one of them has looked at the fact that we have managed only 11 goals so far this season and have the worst goal difference and concluded that we are one of the 3 shitter teams and most likely to go down.

It is an absolute disgrace and Paul Lambert is very much to blame for our situation and he should be told so by the fans that pay their money to watch rubbish and be depressed every week.

You do that then. I won't be, nor will I be protesting. I also reserve the right to feel embarrassed by you.

Cheers.

I think we are bigger than some fans realise. We are of a similar size to Arsenal pre-Wenger. We have similar potential despite the landscape changing. People still talk about how big a club Leeds are, we are again of a similar size and history. Possibly similar "potential" to implode too, though that is extremely unlikely given our steady finances.

I wouldn't play down the size of a club who only need regular top half finishes to pull 40 thousand fans every week, our away support is immense too and I see plenty of Villa fans down here in London. On my way up to the Bournemouth game there were five of us on the same tube carriage from Finsbury park to Euston, at 8 o'clock in the morning, all of us strangers.

You have to realise, aside from a 3 year period when we had serious doses of hope, we have been involved in relegation battle after relegation battle for a decade. That takes its toll, apathy has well and truly set in.

Fans of other clubs, the media, they still see us as an institution. We are, but that doesn't give us the right to stay that way.

Good post.

One of those fans may have been me.

Was one tall, very handsome and had the kind of expression that screamed 'IQ > 150'?

No, but there were a couple of right ugly bastards amongst them, one myself. Might see you Saturday morning!

Definately me then

A journalist in Ireland was on the radio last night and he said that he was talking to someone who worked under Lambert (Wes Hoolahan) and he said that Lambert doesn't do a lot of tactical work on the training ground. Not exactly something we didn't know but it doesn't inspire confidence that this guy can keep us up.

He has been fortunate that there have been some really shite teams in the premier league the last couple of years, he certainly hasnt kept us up by being a tactical genius has he?

I dont get this argument.  You see the flip side to it is that we were better than teams in the league and finished above them,  ie you can only beat what's in front of you

I disagree. I don't remember us being able to change tactics during games or being anything other than a one dimensional counter attacking team. The change to passing football was a panic move to try to stop having 35% (and less) possession in games. So far this change has been a spectacular disaster and Lambert seems unable to make adjustments or even get us to score a goal.

he certainly hasnt kept us up by being a tactical genius has he?

More luck than judgement IMO and I think his luck could run out this season.

You need to re read your post and my reply to it.  You said you had no confidence in him keeping us up,  I said he has managed to so far.  That is a factual statement to say you disagree suggests we have been relegated in the last two years,  we have not

You do that then. I won't be, nor will I be protesting. I also reserve the right to feel embarrassed by you.

Cheers.

Nor will I as I don't waste my money watching crap anymore. Feel free to be embarrassed though.

• Like 1

Things were obviously a lot better then but the criticisms were still valid at the time. I still think we could've done so much more under a different manager at that particular point in time.

He made some poor choices in the transfer market, very poor, but we had a **** good time. At least I did. The criticisers criticised, I was too busy getting pissed and belting out Villa songs at 2am every Saturday night.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, give me a battle for 6th every year with the hope of a touch more and it's enough.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

Very easy to 

Things were obviously a lot better then but the criticisms were still valid at the time. I still think we could've done so much more under a different manager at that particular point in time.

He made some poor choices in the transfer market, very poor, but we had a **** good time. At least I did. The criticisers criticised, I was too busy getting pissed and belting out Villa songs at all hours of the day.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, give me a battle for 6th every year with the hope of a touch more and it's enough.

Blackburn away.

The game before THAT Stoke game.

One of the best games I've ever been to. 

Probably the first and only time I truly believed we'd make the top 4.

He made some poor choices in the transfer market, very poor, but we had a **** good time. At least I did. The criticisers criticised, I was too busy getting pissed and belting out Villa songs at all hours of the day.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it too, but with the amount of money Lerner was chucking around (how times change) it feels like a missed opportunity looking back on it.

A team like Aston Villa who've won everything there is to win shouldn't look back on finishing 6th out of a division of twenty teams as some sort of golden era. Imagine where we'd be now if Lambert was in charge back then.

A team like Aston Villa who've won everything there is to win shouldn't look back on finishing 6th out of a division of twenty teams as some sort of golden era. Imagine where we'd be now if Lambert was in charge back then.

10th I imagine.

Not really your place to say what is and isn't enough for me. I am the club as much as you are.

It will achieve not much to be honest.  He is here for the rest of the season at least.

Presumably you think he can keep us up, Richard, and certainly I am hoping he can, but I am also more worried now than I have ever been during his tenure.

If he cannot turn it around very soon, like starting with the Hull game, we will be relegated, and I do not want that misery again.

League 1?

• Like 1

If it was a question of stay up but don't win anything or win the cup and get relegated, I would take the cup.  Luckily it doesn't have to be that way!

Relegation is never a better option. It was bad back then, but so many things have changed that it would be much worse now.

Good post.

One of those fans may have been me.

Was one tall, very handsome and had the kind of expression that screamed 'IQ > 150'?

Was that the one you were standing beside.  :)

Â