Paul Lambert

limpid

Well, results say he IS as bad a manager as people claim.

Results say he's a Premier League manager managing a Premier League team - irrespective of whether or not that is good enough for fans.

• Like 2

Results say he's a Premier League manager managing a Premier League team - irrespective of whether or not that is good enough for fans.

No - that would be his job description. Results say he is out of his depth.
  • Like 3

No - that would be his job description. Results say he is out of his depth.

Has he got us relegated?  Has he ever been relegated from the Premier League?

Edited by blandy
  • Like 2

Has he got us relegated?  Has he ever been relegated from the Premier League?

No - but he gave it his best shot......

... and couldn't even manage that! ;)

So results have been good enough to keep us in the Premier League then?

But ok, results say he's "out of his depth".

Strange logic. Does just surviving for any manager show they're not out of their depth?

Do you think the team is capable of better? This usually confuses me a bit. I mean, I fully get why someone would blame Lambert (I do myself, he's been very poor), but doesn't that idea technically go hand in hand with the assumption that you think the team is capable of performing better than it does consistently? Because if not, then Lambert isn't doing a poor job. He's only failing to perform if he's getting results out of players that are worse than they're capable of.

Which raises the question, if he's failing to get the most out of the players, doesn't that mean that the squad is actually reasonably okay? Since another couple of wins would've had us in 12th (11th if one of the wins was a reversal against Palace), and an awful manager costs any team at least 6 points over the course of a season - though if Lambert is doing THAT badly, would it be fair to say he's costing us a minimum of 12, which would have seen us finish 9th) - then the squad has got to be getting worse results than it should be, which means it's not as bad as some think... and that basically is something I've never been quite able to figure out.

Squad is awful = 15th place is probably good

Lambert is awful = 15th place is probably under performing

15th place is under performing = squad probably isn't that awful

*edit*

For the point of record; my opinion is that this squad is comfortably capable of being in the higher end of that second tier outside the top 8, and 9th place isn't unrealistic with a bit of luck, but a relegation battle shouldn't be a concern for prolonged periods.

Edited by P3te

Me: Wow, what a terrible season! You know Randy, I don't think there's a single thing you could say to convince me that Lambert shouldn't be sacked immediately.

Randy: I'm going to announce to the world that I'm sick of running the club and then hope that someone gives me two hundred million dollars to take it off my hands!

Me: ...You got lucky, Lerner.

did he assemble a poor squad though?

Guzan IMHO is one of the best keepers in the league and whilst we cant give 100% credit to Lambert, Lambert is the one who resigned him after his contract expired.

Vlaar also i think is one of the better CB in the league, definitely top half quality as evinced by his inclusion in the Holland WC Squad.

Lowton i think is a good player but off the field issues have caused him to have a bad second season

Okore looked very comfortable in the league until his injury, and for me showed enough that he could have been a very good player.

Delph has come n leaps and bounds and there was talk of him as an outside shout for the England WC squad so he cant have been that bad...

Agbonlahor we all know can be a handful and is more than capable of being a good player if played in the right way

Benteke is also capable of being a top player as we saw last season - for whatever reason he didn't perform this season

Thats 7 out of a possible 11 that i'd be more than happy could compete for a top half spot in the league if managed correctly.

The rest of the squad are average players IMO but in those mentioned above we should have enough about us to not be in a relegation battle year in year out, not to mention the plethora of players that have been signed and not even given a chance to show what they can do so are still unknown quantities.

Aside from maybe Sylla and Baker, there isn't anyone in the squad that i think couldn't make it as a regular Premier League player.

So yes i think Lambert has mismanaged the squad, because i do believe that the players at the club are capable and in most cases have previously shown they are capable, of doing much better.  On that basis alone Lambert deserves the sack

• Like 1

For me there are a few points.

I've seen some poor performances and some decent ones. That to me shows we can play when we want to.

We may set up defensively on the counter because that might be the best tactic for a team like ours. That will cause its own problems when teams sit back. We are not geared to break teams down. Hence our bad home form.

We have a squad that on its day can perform, its just that we need to see more of it. We also need a little bit more imagination at home hence that cam we've been looking for the last few years.

We pay poorly and so we cannot attract the top players. We pay poorly because RL has decided to reign in his investment and make us a decent sale prospect.

We have decent players who haven't performed to expectations bit then you hear about bullying allegations.

We seem to have been extremely unlucky with injuries this year.

Agree with me or not but I think there are reasons for some of the Shit we've seen this year and saving a young shad doesn't help either. You don't get consistency from youngsters.

• Like 1

did he assemble a poor squad though?

Guzan IMHO is one of the best keepers in the league and whilst we cant give 100% credit to Lambert, Lambert is the one who resigned him after his contract expired.

Vlaar also i think is one of the better CB in the league, definitely top half quality as evinced by his inclusion in the Holland WC Squad.

Lowton i think is a good player but off the field issues have caused him to have a bad second season

Okore looked very comfortable in the league until his injury, and for me showed enough that he could have been a very good player.

Delph has come n leaps and bounds and there was talk of him as an outside shout for the England WC squad so he cant have been that bad...

Agbonlahor we all know can be a handful and is more than capable of being a good player if played in the right way

Benteke is also capable of being a top player as we saw last season - for whatever reason he didn't perform this season

Thats 7 out of a possible 11 that i'd be more than happy could compete for a top half spot in the league if managed correctly.

The rest of the squad are average players IMO but in those mentioned above we should have enough about us to not be in a relegation battle year in year out, not to mention the plethora of players that have been signed and not even given a chance to show what they can do so are still unknown quantities.

Aside from maybe Sylla and Baker, there isn't anyone in the squad that i think couldn't make it as a regular Premier League player.

So yes i think Lambert has mismanaged the squad, because i do believe that the players at the club are capable and in most cases have previously shown they are capable, of doing much better. On that basis alone Lambert deserves the sack

This is pretty much exactly my view. Lambert has put together a squad that's capable of more than he's been getting out of it.

Given the budget he's done well to put that squad together, too, but he's managed it poorly.

In terms of the financial side he's performed brilliantly and most likely well up to par with owner expectations but he's not down anything like the ability needed to get the performances his players are capable of on the pitch, sporadic showings aside

Edited by P3te

Â