Paul Lambert

limpid

If the gossip is correct about Keane coming in I wonder do some of us still hold the belief that under the present circumstances if Lambert was sacked we still couldn't attract a another manager of the same ilk?

Coming in as an assistant manager (while still keeping another coaching job and a TV punditry role) is completely different to coming in as manager. Even so, I don't think Keane would be an improvement over Lambert as a manager.

Edited by Mantis

Looking at his managerial career, once 3 players were late for the bus away to Burnley, and he left without them. Another thing I'd add is that there is no way players would be celebrating on a bus home last game of the season after the season we've had. Where I think he's gone wrong is in the transfer market, he seems to have taken no risks and bought players he previously played with or worked over. One thing he won't accept is average standards, and that certainly is a good thing for Aston Villa Football Club.

Looking at his managerial career, once 3 players were late for the bus away to Burnley, and he left without them. Another thing I'd add is that there is no way players would be celebrating on a bus home last game of the season after the season we've had. Where I think he's gone wrong is in the transfer market, he seems to have taken no risks and bought players he previously played with or worked over. One thing he won't accept is average standards, and that certainly is a good thing for Aston Villa Football Club.

Can't see how he is going to instill those standards under the current circumstances?

Can't see how he is going to instill those standards under the current circumstances?

I think a takeover is closer than a lot of people think after this news. Keane was being groomed under O'Neill for the Ireland job, he mended a lot of bridges before applying for the job, and was pretty vocal that he wanted to take it. He then took the number 2 job and would if O'Neill walked before the start of a campaign as he is prone to or left or whatever Keane would be the front runner for the job. A job he clearly wants. Yet, he's come to be number 2 at Aston Villa? Why would you leave the cushy international job you've got where you play 2 games every other month, and get to attend as many or as little games as you want for the number 2 job at Villa? A club who look to be anything but secure at the moment, he could be out of a job in a month, or he could be part of a team that have no investment this summer and go down. Why would you leave you're lovely job where you are all but the next Ireland manager, a job you want for a role at Villa. There must be something big in the offing.

Well he has no worries there, we have way below average standards at VP.

That above story, or his career since quitting playing does not tell me he has any tactical nous or managerial capabilities. It just tells me he's a hard man to please

What possible use is that ?

Sorry mods was in wrong thread, I think this is a good appointment by Lambert, it'll also take some of the spotlight off him, I also think PL doesn't enjoy the media side of things and Keane seems to like that so I can see why he did it. Plus people wouldn't have to listen to we go again next season :)

That above story, or his career since quitting playing does not tell me he has any tactical nous or managerial capabilities. It just tells me he's a hard man to please

Exactly, if it is just some thug to frighten the sh*t out of the younger players then they may as well have hired Vinny Jones. Roy Keane was a useless manager in the fizzy pop league and he hasn't done anything except be a moaning pundit for the last 3 years. On what planet could his appointment possibly be construed as significant progress?

Exactly, if it is just some thug to frighten the sh*t out of the younger players then they may as well have hired Vinny Jones. Roy Keane was a useless manager in the fizzy pop league and he hasn't done anything except be a moaning pundit for the last 3 years. On what planet could his appointment possibly be construed as significant progress?

Not exactly accurate he did well at Sunderland and not so well at Ipswich. He is definitely a character who will spilt opinion and it'll will either be inspired or blow up before Xmas. I don't know what he's like as a coach but he's certainly in demand so cNt be that bad. If his high standards and winning mentality rub off on the players that alone would be worth his appointment. What it means for Lambert long term is another matter as if results don't go his way there's a ready made replacement breathing down his neck!

So was Ron Saunders!!

Thats actually a very good point pacbuddies.

I remember one or two posters blaming the crowd at home when they howled at one of the younger players making a mistake.

If they get that in training again then it certainly isn't going to have the desired affect.

Maybe Roy has mellowed a little? :)

I think there's a difference between being manager and number two. I think as manager Keane felt he had to show them who's boss and not take prisoners. As coach he doesn't. He just has to be the liason between manager and players and learn his trade coaching as well as being a backup to the manager. I think from the stories that Culverhouse was undermining Lambert and trying to big up his role which it seems didn't go down too well. Maybe after time as a number 2/coach Roy has actually enjoyed the role, day to day, on the training ground, banter etc without the added pressure management brings. He seems the type that has to be occupied or get bores/irritable. Coaching without pressure I think may well be perfect for him and may well help Lambert as when he needs back up a bloke that was a hard but superb footballer (and Brian Robson was the dirtiest player I ever saw but ppl fawn over him as a player but Keane was better imo), won everything in the game clubwise will certainly carry more than a Norwich reject of a player and, erm, just what was Karsa's history in the game?! I guess I'm saying I'll reserve judgement til I say how it works out.

I've got zero problems with Lambert staying if the new owners want him. I think he has built a decent foundation on sweet FA and found a few gems. I'd like to see him backed properly with premiership wages available to him, the players he wanted that we couldn't afford shows he knows where to look. Given cash to add 4 or 5 quality players and with Keane beside him I'd like to see what happens.

• Like 3

I've got zero problems with Lambert staying if the new owners want him. I think he has built a decent foundation on sweet FA and found a few gems. I'd like to see him backed properly with premiership wages available to him, the players he wanted that we couldn't afford shows he knows where to look. Given cash to add 4 or 5 quality players and with Keane beside him I'd like to see what happens.

Sorry have I woken in a parallel universe where we didn't finish in the lower half of the table in the last 2 seasons? And the players he said he 'wanted' to sign could have been listed by any 8 year old in the UK, hardly leftfield were they?

Â