Paul Lambert

limpid

Mantis did say it would be difficult not impossible tbf so of course there will be a few examples (Dortmund, Arsenal) but these seem to be the exception rather than the norm and require the right footballing philosophy, a talented manager and a great staff set-up imo.

Except you aren't comparing like with like are you? A manager getting promoted and a striker scoring goals are two totally unrelated things.

I was asked for a reason as to why I felt that Lambert was better than his current position at villa suggests, I provided one.

Which was refuted.

Sorry. I forget your opinion was fact and mine was conjecture.

Turn it chief...isn't your Aunty lonely?

• Like 1

If as seems almost certain we are to be taken over I would be very surprised if Lambert is kept on as manager. If he is though and manages to do well enough to get the majority of supporters back on side it will be the greatest come back since Rocky knocked out Apollo Creed in the 15th round in Rocky II :)

I actually like the guy and believe he is doing his best. I just don't think he is anywhere near as good a manager as I thought we were getting. For as long as he remains here though I'll happily be proved wrong.

• Like 3

McLeish had a squad that on paper cost id estimate 7 times what lambert is working with.

Irrelevant, the reason that they cost so much and were on such high wages were mainly due to the fact that MON spunked our money up the wall. Lambert had the choice to play them (as we have been paying them) he just chose not to.

id agree that he has chosen not to play bent and given, but in casting aside hutton, dunne, Collins and warnock he did what the fans wanted at the time, warnock didn't want to be here and was an absolute disgrace for 2 seasons and dunne and Collins were disruptive influences in the dressing room, and hutton, who on here would have wanted to see him in a villa shirt again?

onto bent, he played him but clearly didn't fit in with how he wanted us to play, and benteke has been a more than able replacement, given however im bemused as to why he was cast aside, despite guzans form

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Lerner may have advised the new owner to keep Lambert on. Im sure he would owe it to Lambert since the funds have not been available for him build a better squad. Worries me this may be the case!!

I'd be surprised if new owners listened to any advice from Lerner considering the clubs record over the past 4 seasons.

If as seems almost certain we are to be taken over I would be very surprised if Lambert is kept on as manager. If he is though and manages to do well enough to get the majority of supporters back on side it will be the greatest come back since Rocky knocked out Apollo Creed in the 15th round in Rocky II :)

I actually like the guy and believe he is doing his best. I just don't think he is anywhere near as good a manager as I thought we were getting. For as long as he remains here though I'll happily be proved wrong.

Open mindedness and balance on VT? GTFO.

• Like 3

McLeish had a squad that on paper cost id estimate 7 times what lambert is working with.

Irrelevant, the reason that they cost so much and were on such high wages were mainly due to the fact that MON spunked our money up the wall. Lambert had the choice to play them (as we have been paying them) he just chose not to.

id agree that he has chosen not to play bent and given, but in casting aside hutton, dunne, Collins and warnock he did what the fans wanted at the time, warnock didn't want to be here and was an absolute disgrace for 2 seasons and dunne and Collins were disruptive influences in the dressing room, and hutton, who on here would have wanted to see him in a villa shirt again?

onto bent, he played him but clearly didn't fit in with how he wanted us to play, and benteke has been a more than able replacement, given however im bemused as to why he was cast aside, despite guzans form

I never said that they were any good, just that they cost a lot of money and were on high wages due to MON spunking money up the wall.

The thing is even if he started well the first bad patch we hit would see fans turning pretty quick. I just can't see any reason why new owners wouldn't bring a manager in when they have a whole summer period.

I look forward to a long and successful period with the new ownership and lambo in charge.

I think with the correct investment and lambos canny European scounting network purchases. I think we'll be looking to maybe sneak an europa league spot next year.

Paul Lamberts claret and blue army! :-)

However... there is a caveat to this attitude.

If he fails to do a good job by Jan 15, then I'd say he's been given a fair crack of the whip and that unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out like all of the fans (and probably) the new owners would have liked.

Vis a vie. My best interests are with maximising the potential of aston villa. If lambo isn't that man, then best of luck to him in the future.

• Like 4

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Lerner may have advised the new owner to keep Lambert on. Im sure he would owe it to Lambert since the funds have not been available for him build a better squad. Worries me this may be the case!!

I'd be surprised if new owners listened to any advice from Lerner considering the clubs record over the past 4 seasons.

Will be interesting to see who they are taking advice from.

Edited by briny_ear

Yes your opinion was conjecture but proven to be wrong.

Directed at poster Eames.

Bang. There is the problem.... Your "proof" is merely your own opinion.

That's fine. We can disagree.

*Sits back and waits for smug counter post.*

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

I look forward to a long and successful period with the new ownership and lambo in charge.

I think with the correct investment and lambos canny European scounting network purchases. I think we'll be looking to maybe sneak an europa league spot next year.

If he fails to do a good job by Jan 15, then I'd say he's been given a fair crack of the whip and that unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out like all of the fans (and probably) the new owners would have liked.

Vis a vie. My best interests are with maximising the potential of aston villa. If lambo isn't that man, then best of luck to him in the future.

Wow, that's what I call unreserved support!  :)

• Like 1

But if he spends big in the summer and is sacked in January, wouldn't this just leave a new manager with a load of expensive signings he didn't buy?

Makes a lot more sense to let a new manager start from scratch in my opinion.

But if he spends big in the summer and is sacked in January, wouldn't this just leave a new manager with a load of expensive signings he didn't buy?

If you had hit your targets at work, and was then told they weren't good enough once you'd hit them, I dare say you'd feel pretty upset with your boss. :-)

I'd take that, as long as we didn't look to be in getting into serious trouble before then, would prefer a clean start with the new owners but he has bought well and agree it would be interesting to see who he could pick up with more funds, especially if it's true we were looking at at Holtby etc but couldn't afford.

Although I can't see us anywhere near a europa league spot but here's hoping.

• Like 1

True but did Lambert not have the option to work with the same players and chose not to?

I think Lerner statement about the perameters he set Lambert to work under answers this question. Surely no one still believes Lambert got rid of them believing they were useless and signing players on a fraction of their money was the way forward. What he did believe though that he could do that and do what was asked of him, keep us up, this is why he took the job on.

If you had hit your targets at work, and was then told they weren't good enough once you'd hit them, I dare say you'd feel pretty upset with your boss. :-)

I would be if it was the same boss.

Â