Paul Lambert

limpid

Who would people like to see take Lambert's place?

Ronald Koeman.

*awaits the inevitable "you can't be sure he'll do any better" responses*

Appreciate you alone have answered the question.

A very good manager, although, since he's about to guide Feyenoord to the Champions League I'm nor sure thats overly realistic.

• Like 1

Ronald Koeman.

A very good manager, although, since he's about to guide Feyenoord to the Champions League I'm nor sure thats overly realistic.

He'll be available in the Summer I think but he bombed hard at Valencia.

I wouldn't be distraught with Koeman though.

Ronald Koeman.

You didn't have long to wait!  I still don't see the point in demanding a name then cutting and pasting the default "why would he come to Villa" to absolutely every name who is suggested.

• Like 2

Ronald Koeman.

He is seeing out his contract (which expires this summer) at Feyenoord because he feels he has taken them as far as he can. Has declared he wants to manage in England.

You didn't have long to wait!  I still don't see the point in demanding a name then cutting and pasting the default "why would he come to Villa" to absolutely every name who is suggested.

He would probably take the job IMO but his only attempts at managing clubs who aren't financially one of the very biggest fish in their pond have not gone great.

Ronald Koeman.

He is seeing out his contract (which expires this summer) at Feyenoord because he feels he has taken them as far as he can. Has declared he wants to manage in England.

Thats until he has a discussion with Randy and PF.

Ronald Koeman.

He is seeing out his contract (which expires this summer) at Feyenoord because he feels he has taken them as far as he can. Has declared he wants to manage in England

Hopefully he likes a challenge.

Lucien Favre

Murat Yakin

Michael Laudrup

Ronald Koeman

Slaven Bilic

Sami Hyypiä

Luciano Spalletti (out of our league i know)

Christian Streich

And yes i can't know that any of them will be a success or even wan't to come here

Yes, I'm a troll, and now you've rumbled me Dellboy.

What I actually believe is that no matter how many of our players are injured, or how miniscule our budget is, all we need is a better manager to come in.

I also believe that better managers are queuing up around the block to manage Aston Villa, thanks to the prospect of a huge transfer kitty. It doesn't matter how pitiful the quality of the available players is, all we need is someone who's really really good at tactics. Yeah, tactics. Any fool can see that's all we need.

Yes they would be queuing round the block IMO. When has a manager turned us down? Lerner is the problem not the club. Lerner has never asked the right manager and probably never will as he is a halfwit. 

Lucien Favre

Murat Yakin

Michael Laudrup

Ronald Koeman

Slaven Bilic

Sami Hyypiä

Christian Streich

And yes i can't know that any of them will be a success or even wan't to come here

Those are the sorts of names I'd like to see, and Favre was my choice as well.

I can't be sure that any of them would take the job, but I'm fairly certain that Lambert, if retained, will serve up a third year of crap football and results, so would be prepared to take that chance.

You can't be sure he'll do any better OR want the job.

Just as we couldn't be sure of these things for McLeish's successor.

I think the majority would want the job until they speak to the custodians of AVFC. Martinez was interested, spoke to both planks and decided against it, I remember Rafa Benitez putting his hat in the ring, then taking himself promptly out of it, I'm sure there are many others.

If you told me he was being sacked today but that meant McLeish was taking charge of the last 6 matches i'd bite your hand off.

Longer term Laudrup, and i'll throw in a leftfield Uwe Rosler

I want a manager with vision, a style of play and one that's tactically aware

What i don't want is anymore Lambert and his dinosaur hoofball

Jorge Sampaoli, yes it would be risky and of course there are no guarantees he would leave Chile. But someone of that ilk would be interesting Edited by mikeyp102

Lucien Favre

Murat Yakin

Michael Laudrup

Ronald Koeman

Slaven Bilic

Sami Hyypiä

Christian Streich

Those are the sorts of names I'd like to see, and Favre was my choice as well.

I can't be sure that any of them would take the job, but I'm fairly certain that Lambert, if retained, will serve up a third year of crap football and results, so would be prepared to take that chance.

I have no personal connection to Lambert and while I believe he would improve us if given time and enough investment (and luck with injuries) I would be happy with most of those listed above.

The only problem is that most of them wouldn't see us a step up and moving would lose them the good will of the club they are currently doing well for. We have more expectation than transfer funds currently and as such we're not exactly an amazing proposition. Several managers have reportedly turned us down in recent seasons IIRC, Martinez and OGS the two that spring to mind.

As mentioned Koeman would take the job, so would Bilic and probably Laudrup. Unfortunately those 3 have the biggest blotches on their CVs.

To add another name in the Marcelo Bielsa would probably take the job as well.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-6926352

Aston Villa have never lost ten league matches at Villa Park in a season in their 140-year history

Paul Lambert admits “you can’t argue with the fanbase here” after the Villa Park crowd greeted the club’s worst-ever tally of home defeats with growing dissent.

Lambert set an unwanted record when the claret and blues lost their tenth Premier League home match of the season against struggling Fulham on Saturday.

Villa have never lost that many league matches at Villa Park before in their 140-year history – and the fans that hadn’t already left before the final whistle vented their frustrations at full-time.
“The crowd has been very good,” said Lambert. “You can’t argue with the fanbase here. It’s there, it is what it is and you have to perform in front of it, especially at home, where the majority of fans want to see you win.

“I’ve got no problem with that (booing) whatsoever. They pay their hard-earned money, they come to watch their team win and we never delivered. You always get stick when you lose.
“The fans have got every right to. They pay good money to come and watch their team so you have to be big enough to take it.

“I’m responsible for it because it was my decision to pick the players.

“For a club this size and the support it has got you know it is coming if you don’t win. The home form isn’t good enough. When you have this fanbase you have to produce better results.”
  • Like 1

I think the majority would want the job until they speak to the custodians of AVFC. Martinez was interested, spoke to both planks and decided against it, I remember Rafa Benitez putting his hat in the ring, then taking himself promptly out of it, I'm sure there are many others.

To be fair Martinez spoke to Liverpool as well and stayed at Wigan. I think he actually felt he owed Whelan another year. But it must be very off putting coming to an interview to be met by a credit card salesman?

With OGS I think the dislike was mutual which says a lot as he took the Cardiff job even with their chairman?

Lerner would never pick any of the names mentioned.

The club needs a footballing philosopy before appointing a new manager - otherwise we will go through more mega-cost cycles, like when we moved from the MON "winger" era, to the McLeish "8 defenders on the pitch" era, via the Houllier "not sure what to write here" era.

Get the philosophy of the club sorted, then put in place a football management structure (throughout the entire club) built around this, getting in the right man for the job.

For example, many 'managers' now are really first team coaches, and need/want a "Director of Football" dealing with certain things for them. Others will not entertain such a thought.

What is the style of football the club want - we now have no wingers (except Marc), so bringing in a manager who always plays with wingers will result in us needing to ship out a number of surplus players, and bringing in these wingers and other players to compliment them. [i am not saying we shouldn't do this, but would the club think of this issue - you'd **** hope so!]

Personally, I really wanted Lambert in, and have supported and defended him - until the Stoke game.

The huge gulf in performance levels from the same players who always get picked when available is too much to bear. Add that to the amount of 'squad' players without the necessary game time or experience when needed (presumably because he doesn't trust them) and the lack of a Plan B - he has to go.

And it is exactly the same reasons why I personally thought MON had to go during his final season.

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing with that SIT. I guess you just have to hope that the board can manage to pull a better one out of the bag next time. As I have said before also, I don't think they did anything wrong in appointing Lambert in the first place, he has just hasn't lived up to expectations ultimately. The way they approached the last managerial search and the profile of manager they were looking for was correct though.

• Like 1

Â