Paul Lambert

limpid

It is amazing, I only get the time to read this thread between 7 and 8 in the morning, the problem is, by the time I have caught up with it, I no longer have time to post and reply. We might not all agree but it is good to see healthy debate, can you just... Hold off so I can catch up? ;)

• Like 2

It is amazing, I only get the time to read this thread between 7 and 8 in the morning, the problem is, by the time I have caught up with it, I no longer have time to post and reply. We might not all agree but it is good to see healthy debate, can you just... Hold off so I can catch up? ;)

You're wasting your time.

You only have to read 2 pages and then just assume the remaining 181 are all the same stuff being repeated over and over.

I give you... the gift of time

• Like 2

Howard Hodgson has wrote an article about our situation. I thought it was a pretty decent read.

http://avillafan.com/site/11469/the-hodgson-report-on-aston-villa-11-years-after-the-original/

I agree with a lot of that. There's a lot of truths in there. Specially when discussing the style of football Lambert plays. So one dimensional. 

Edited by PieFacE

I guess maybe this season things have not perhaps gone to plan tactically but you have to remember, Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA have only had 1 PL season under their belts.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

We just all need to be patient while this ship is sailed out of the stormy waters it has been in.

Everyone knew it was not going to be a quick fix.

Everyone knew a rebuilding process had to happen.

Everyone was happy to give Lambert time to do this.

I don't think after 2 seasons it is enough.I see it happen too many times at too many clubs.. the manager is just about on the brink to take the club forward onto the next level and for whatever reason.. boom! he's sacked!

2/5 clubs actually benefit from it!

I personally can't be arsed with the whole dilemma again of Lambert out, new manager in, clear out starts, more players are purchased on a shoe string budget (like any manager will be on that takes the B6 hotseat.. we then go through all the bullshit.. "he needs a year or 2 to make us top 4 candidates!"..

Have we not had enough of this bullshit in the last 3 seasons??... or 15 if we really want to look at the history books.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Build from the bottom and work to the top.

Yes there will be brilliant signings along the way, there will be shit signings.

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick, all turned out to be top signings.. also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Every manager signs gems, every manager also signs clowns, its sorting the gems from the clowns and building the winning formula is the magic part of it all. Lambert will make a success of us yet.

Ha ha! Lambert is far from on the brink of taking this club forward! It started to look like it end of last season, but now we have digressed so much that moment seems far far away.

Yes we've digressed so much that we're on the same points.

So there's been no progression really from last season's relegation battle?

Howard Hodgson has wrote an article about our situation. I thought it was a pretty decent read.http://avillafan.com/site/11469/the-hodgson-report-on-aston-villa-11-years-after-the-original/

While I can't shake the feeling that Howard is angling to be one of the "Aston Villa people who understand the club, the fans and the game on the board" .....

... I also cannot disagree with his assessment. In particular, the way in which criticism is met with a banning from all things AVFC is extremely worrying - especially when it is from one who is close to the board.

It should also raise the question was there an ulterior motive to the bomb squad?

That hodgson article was a load of self important drivel

More bitter than a handful of lemons.

Would be interested to know which points in the article were incorrect?

The parts that are his opinion passing off as fact and assuming its 100% right.

His ego has clearly been damaged and what an ego, retweeting every single response to said article.

A lot of it is right, but his opinion on tactics and general football management is laughable, he knows about as much as the rest of us which is not a lot.

That's really doing a disservice to the fans and the article as common sense would tell you that the manager's tactics ain't working and an opinion based on stats shouldn't be so readily dismissed.

I’m not dismissing it, but according to Howard you do this and that and all will be fixed, simple as that.

That's really doing a disservice to the fans and the article as common sense would tell you that the manager's tactics ain't working and an opinion based on stats shouldn't be so readily dismissed.

I’m not dismissing it, but according to Howard you do this and that and all will be fixed, simple as that.

Well, something has to change doesn't it?

Do you find Villa entertaining to watch?

Do you think our style of football is effective?

As far as i'm concerned, the football we play is horrendous, and it's not getting results. So why does the manager persist with it? I'm guessing it's because he's an extremely limited manager who doesn't know to play a different way.

I guess maybe this season things have not perhaps gone to plan tactically but you have to remember, Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA have only had 1 PL season under their belts.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

We just all need to be patient while this ship is sailed out of the stormy waters it has been in.

Everyone knew it was not going to be a quick fix.

Everyone knew a rebuilding process had to happen.

Everyone was happy to give Lambert time to do this.

I don't think after 2 seasons it is enough.I see it happen too many times at too many clubs.. the manager is just about on the brink to take the club forward onto the next level and for whatever reason.. boom! he's sacked!

2/5 clubs actually benefit from it!

I personally can't be arsed with the whole dilemma again of Lambert out, new manager in, clear out starts, more players are purchased on a shoe string budget (like any manager will be on that takes the B6 hotseat.. we then go through all the bullshit.. "he needs a year or 2 to make us top 4 candidates!"..

Have we not had enough of this bullshit in the last 3 seasons??... or 15 if we really want to look at the history books.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Build from the bottom and work to the top.

Yes there will be brilliant signings along the way, there will be shit signings.

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick, all turned out to be top signings.. also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Every manager signs gems, every manager also signs clowns, its sorting the gems from the clowns and building the winning formula is the magic part of it all. Lambert will make a success of us yet.

Ha ha! Lambert is far from on the brink of taking this club forward! It started to look like it end of last season, but now we have digressed so much that moment seems far far away.

Yes we've digressed so much that we're on the same points.

So there's been no progression really from last season's relegation battle?

Wake up chap, We are in a relegation battle now!! We can hardly afford to tick over now until the end of the season, we have got play our arses off every remaining game to stay in the league!

Well, something has to change doesn't it?

Do you find Villa entertaining to watch?

Do you think our style of football is effective?

As far as i'm concerned, the football we play is horrendous, and it's not getting results. So why does the manager persist with it? I'm guessing it's because he's an extremely limited manager who doesn't know to play a different way.

And yet we played a better style of football for some parts of last season.

Also, as I often point out, I think the style of football is getting blown out of proportion. It's been pretty bad a lot of the time, but even then I still think it gets exaggerated now.

I think that what is wrong at Villa can be summed up by the games against Sheffield Utd and Millwall in the FA cup and Bradford city in the Capital One cup.  Paul Lambert and "his team", were out fought and tactically inept in  those three games.  I would also say that Lambert's team did not have the desire and passion that we expect from out team.  One defeat against so called "inferior opposition", happens to big clubs now and again and that is what cup football is all about, but three times close together indicates something seriously wrong AKA Coventry City's past history and where they are now.  I ask myself as well why did Henke leave?  Also what was the were the reasons for that scenario?  In any walk of life peoples attitudes, personalities and performances must reflect those who nurture, instruct and manage them, a bit like like children are a reflection of their upbringing and social surroundings, with a certain amount of individuality mixed in.  A professional business is professional because of everybody's attitudes and performance's, not just a few.  So by watching Villa's players on the pitch all can surely see that the people who are responsible and accountable for the nurturing, instructing and management of the players are not doing it well enough, or are not capable of it.  Also the people who own the business and run the business have an even greater responsibility as their attitudes and professionalism filter directly through the business and are an indication to the other employees that we are a "team" not just a "gathering of professionals".  It is the "team", that matters and the objectives of this team that will maximise the potential to achieve the "goal", of the team.  I am sorry if this appears somewhat academic in prose, but i feared that resorting to profanities would a) get me struck off the forum and B) make me sound like someone who is bitter and twisted.  I do hope i have made my point though!!!

I agree with part of the above post. The fact is we will never beat big hard grafters like Sheffield an Bradford without tactical nous. Were not a big strong team, so it would take pace and a certain style to win those games something Lambert has big problems with coaching into this team!

Also, as I often point out, I think the style of football is getting blown out of proportion. It's been pretty bad a lot of the time, but even then I still think it gets exaggerated now

its really not. the football in recent weeks is horribe, negative, safety first crap and reminds me of us under McLeish in them last 3 or 4 months

Also, as I often point out, I think the style of football is getting blown out of proportion. It's been pretty bad a lot of the time, but even then I still think it gets exaggerated now

its really not. the football in recent weeks is horribe, negative, safety first crap and reminds me of us under McLeish in them last 3 or 4 months

Thats not true is it, as the first half in our last game was not that. It was pressing, counter attacking football and created 4 or 5 chances.

As has been said, its being exaggerated.

I think that what is wrong at Villa can be summed up by the games against Sheffield Utd and Millwall in the FA cup and Bradford city in the Capital One cup.  Paul Lambert and "his team", were out fought and tactically inept in  those three games.  I would also say that Lambert's team did not have the desire and passion that we expect from out team.  One defeat against so called "inferior opposition", happens to big clubs now and again and that is what cup football is all about, but three times close together indicates something seriously wrong AKA Coventry City's past history and where they are now.  I ask myself as well why did Henke leave?  Also what was the were the reasons for that scenario?  In any walk of life peoples attitudes, personalities and performances must reflect those who nurture, instruct and manage them, a bit like like children are a reflection of their upbringing and social surroundings, with a certain amount of individuality mixed in.  A professional business is professional because of everybody's attitudes and performance's, not just a few.  So by watching Villa's players on the pitch all can surely see that the people who are responsible and accountable for the nurturing, instructing and management of the players are not doing it well enough, or are not capable of it.  Also the people who own the business and run the business have an even greater responsibility as their attitudes and professionalism filter directly through the business and are an indication to the other employees that we are a "team" not just a "gathering of professionals".  It is the "team", that matters and the objectives of this team that will maximise the potential to achieve the "goal", of the team.  I am sorry if this appears somewhat academic in prose, but i feared that resorting to profanities would a) get me struck off the forum and B) make me sound like someone who is bitter and twisted.  I do hope i have made my point though!!!

Eloquent post. You make some valid points about the nature of Villa's current malaise. There is a lack of professionalism, a lack of ability and a woeful lack of knowledge and experience running through our (mis)management team. Unfortunately I don't believe that these individuals have a clue how to put things right.

Â