Paul Lambert

limpid

I often find the way Villa play frustrating. Its led to swearing, throwing things and having epic hissy fits on a regular basis. Booing however is something I would never do for one simple reason.

I love Villa.

I find the concept of booing or jeering something that I love rather odd.

• Like 4

The worst home form in the league and we're moaning at the fans?

Doesn't seem right somehow.

Exactly, the moaning and the level of expectation is not the end product of a particular scoreline in a particular match it is a cumulative effect of nearly four seasons of playing boring football and not winning many games at home.

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over

a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

The fans are not to blame (as much as some on here seem to suggest) for the negative and insipid atmosphere at Villa Park it is the absent owner, a succession of inept managers, the low quality players used, the utterly boring style of football and a continuous supply of poor home results.

Exactly, the moaning and the level of expectation is not the end product of a particular scoreline in a particular match it is a cumulative effect of nearly four seasons of playing boring football and not winning many games at home.

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

The fans are not to blame (as much as some on here seem to suggest) for the negative and insipid atmosphere at Villa Park it is the absent owner, a succession of inept managers, the low quality players used, the utterly boring style of football and a continuous supply of poor home results.

Why are the fans so good away then? Same owner same players same manager and we do get better results!

Well its quite obvious. We have 3 or 4 thousand away fans compared to 34,000 home fans. The smaller amount who give up more time and more money to follow away are likely to be the more vocal supportive ones.

That makes total sense!! Don't the away fans go to home games? It's about attitude when going to the game nothing more nothing less.

You're not booing something you love you're booing the manager or a horrendous performance..i've never booed in a stadium but i think the fans are allowed to show their emotions especially at home where its been horrific for atleast 3 and a half seasons.

a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

Why are the fans so good away then? Same owner same players same manager and we do get better results!

a concentration of hard core.....no prawn sandwiches to dilute the passion.

My point is the Holte End our hardcore support is not loud enough.

The hardcore home support for 99% of all

Teams in the uk is not loud enough

I know that doesn't make things ok but it's just the way football is in this country these days

Treat people like customers and they will act in that manner - the villa home support is no better or worse than 99% of other teams despite what some people on here would have you believe

I hardly think you can use a quality manager like Mourinho and his very successful Chelsea team as an example here.

Oh, I don't know. I'd say that if a quality manager with a successful team tries to get the crowd going, there might be a chance that he thinks that it's worth the effort and might help his team in some way... Surely the effect isn't limited to top quality teams and managers?

I can't say I've ever been to an away game and thought I wish our home support was as good as theirs.

I've seen some decent home support but it was usually while they were easily beating us.

I hardly think you can use a quality manager like Mourinho and his very successful Chelsea team as an example here.

Oh, I don't know. I'd say that if a quality manager with a successful team tries to get the crowd going, there might be a chance that he thinks that it's worth the effort and might help his team in some way... Surely the effect isn't limited to top quality teams and managers?

And maybe if over the last 4 years our managers and made the effort the fans would respond.

We've got a billionaire owner who doesn't attend games and has seen us struggle while he makes sure he's financially OK.

We've got a squad full of millionaires who can barely pass the ball to each other on a regular basis.

And somehow the 35,000 who give up their time and money to go and watch are getting stick from certain posters.

Amazing really.

It's all part of the cycle BJ.  I know in your head that Paul Lambert and Randy Lerner are the sole reasons for anything bad at Aston Villa, but the truth is that there are a number of factors involved and the fans play a part.

I have no idea what Randy Lerner attending games would mean for us by the way, but you love beating this drum.  Please explain.

Maybe Randy can come and join Brigada with there hand clapping and start a few songs to get the atmosphere going apart from that I don't see his presence at games being beneficial.

If fan support made that much difference palace and Stoke would be challenging top 4 and Portsmouth would still be in the league. Considering the shit we've put out for nearly 4 years in a row I say fair play to the ones that keep coming back.

Again you're twisting peoples words.

Fan support is a small percentage, no one has said it will make a team great but what they've said is it will help. Surely your parents have at some point said to you 'come on you can do it'. Surely you see this is more positive than 'you're shit'.

Did you see mourinho getting the crowd going in recent matches?

You should be comparing us with poorer managers and poorer teams to see if crowd positivity works.

Surely that's a better example that even top teams need encouraging so if Chelsea need it and they're very good we definitely need it as we are not!!

I can't say I've ever been to an away game and thought I wish our home support was as good as theirs.

I've seen some decent home support but it was usually while they were easily beating us.

And maybe if over the last 4 years our managers and made the effort the fans would respond.

I may not have made my point clear enough, but I feel that you've missed it. I believe that it's about that any team may benefit from an advantage during a match, and if good managers with quality players feel it worthwhile (or even necessary) to encourage the crowd, then surely that manager believes that his team might benefit from it? If not, why would he bother? There's enough going on during the match that he needs to concentrate upon.

Great teams need support, poorer teams would probably benefit from similar support as well. It might just tip the scales in your favour... If noone successful in the game felt that it wouldn't matter anyway, then surely they wouldn't bother? 

If fan support made that much difference palace and Stoke would be challenging top 4 and Portsmouth would still be in the league. Considering the shit we've put out for nearly 4 years in a row I say fair play to the ones that keep coming back.

Fan support is a small percentage, no one has said it will make a team great but what they've said is it will help. Surely your parents have at some point said to you 'come on you can do it'. Surely you see this is more positive than 'you're shit'.

You should be comparing us with poorer managers and poorer teams to see if crowd positivity works.

Surely that's a better example that even top teams need encouraging so if Chelsea need it and they're very good we definitely need it as we are not!!

Just what I was trying to say and in a simple sentence. Thank you.  :)

• Like 1

Quite often, the differences between winning a game and drawing/not winning a game in the premier league can be really quite small.

Does having a crowd that is known for turning on players or getting negative quite quickly helpful for the team in the long run? NO, of course if **** isn't. If we had a crowd that properly got behind players the team and made it a real cauldron for away teams, I have few doubts our home form would improve slightly. People keep saying "their professional footballers blah blah blah" but they are still people at the end of the day and most people still respond better to encouragement rather than negativity.

Some people have mentioned about our home fans being "awesome". I'm sorry, it really isn't when you compare it to teams like Crystal Palace etc who keep supporting their team regardless of how each match is going.

Oh, and anyone who boos the team needs a long hard **** look at themselves, your doing a disservice to the word "support"

Edited by Biskitt
  • Like 2

My point exactly, mourinho thinks it will benefit the team yet some on here are still arguing otherwise.

I think I'll trust mourinho.

• Like 1

If only we cheered louder. I bet grant holt would become faster, Westwood stronger and our players would pass the ball to their own team more. Dam you villa fans.

Sounds like a plan we should try it one game to see if it works.

• Like 1

Well its quite obvious. We have 3 or 4 thousand away fans compared to 34,000 home fans. The smaller amount who give up more time and more money to follow away are likely to be the more vocal supportive ones.

That makes total sense!! Don't the away fans go to home games? It's about attitude when going to the game nothing more nothing less.

Surely you can't be serious? Have you ever been to an away game?

Away fans are always more vocal and passionate than than the teams home support. It's usually the more hardcore fans that go, many see it as a day out and alcohol is usually heavily involved, of course they are more vocal than the home support.

Every away game i've ever been too every villa fan has been standing, which adds to the atmosphere, being the away side vastly outnumbered it feels like your there to spoil the party and is a completely incomparable atmosphere to being at home. Just look at Man United, probably the worst fans i've ever seen when I went to Old Trafford away, no noise even at 3 nil up, yet seeing them at villa park, me sitting in the north stand, they were one of the loudest away fans i've seen.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

If only we cheered louder. I bet grant holt would become faster, Westwood stronger and our players would pass the ball to their own team more. Dam you villa fans.

Cool, I'll look out for you starting a few chants.

Nah, I think I'll just boo every time something happens that I don't like.

Edited by Mantis

Nah, I think I'll just boo every time something happens that I don't like.

Why would you do that? You've just been having a go at people who boo.

Â