Russel Brands "The Trews"

Demitri_C

He's captured or picked up on a widespread mood, and used it to sell books and thus make money.

I think he's right about a lot of what is "wrong". I don't think he's got the solution, or anything close. Not that any single person could have, but like I said he's mainly selling books to make money. and buff his image. 

Yeah I know, I looked it up. Once again, I too think he's a bit of a dick. But rather than let personal opinion of the man get in the way of the overall message I would rather see the positive. 

It's the complaining culture of today though. This thread is case in point really. More people whining about Brand the man, what he has done in the past, rather than really commenting on the thread matter. 

Yeah I know, I looked it up. Once again, I too think he's a bit of a dick. But rather than let personal opinion of the man get in the way of the overall message I would rather see the positive. 

It's the complaining culture of today though. This thread is case in point really. More people whining about Brand the man, what he has done in the past, rather than really commenting on the thread matter. 

The thread matter IS Russell Brand.  There are other politics threads if you want to talk about such stuff.

Comedy genius Sacha Baron Cohen has created arguably his most brilliant satirical character yet – the commie-tragic buffoon Russell Brand.

The comic creation – criticised by some who claimed Cohen was mocking people with narcissistic personality disorder – won millions of followers with his heart warming portrayal of a man suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Rest of article on link :)

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2014/10/26/sacha-baron-cohen-tipped-for-emmys-for-tragi-comedy-character-russell-brand/

• Like 4

He does do that comedy act but you cant dismiss it all as nonsense he does state alot of truth as much as i dislike the bloke

Such as....?

Such as:

There are alternatives to the current system, yet we are told (and believe that there aren't)

That society is grossly unfair

That current governments in general exists to serve the needs of the few at the expense of the many

That there isn't currently any decent alternative to vote for

That fear and a lack of education keeps the powers that be in power.

That a lot of authority figures cannot be trusted

Look around you and the things that are going on in this country and around the world. Are you going to try and say that the above statements are not true?

What he is saying is reasonable and a lot of it is beyond doubt. The problem is who's saying it - he has no credibility and a lot of people view him as the celebrity equivalent of the local nutter - shouting the end is nigh while supping a can of special brew and kicking out at passing cars.

I've no real time for the bloke, but I did see his interview on JR. He said himself he doesn't have the solutions, but he believes there are people who do and he lists them in his book. Have you read it? Didn't think so. Why? Because you think he's a clearing in the woods who isn't worth listening to, not because there isn't some truth to what he says. Your more of a plonker than he is if you think it's all bollocks.

• Like 1

He does do that comedy act but you cant dismiss it all as nonsense he does state alot of truth as much as i dislike the bloke

Such as....?

Such as:

There are alternatives to the current system, yet we are told (and believe that there aren't)

That society is grossly unfair

That current governments in general exists to serve the needs of the few at the expense of the many

That there isn't currently any decent alternative to vote for

That fear and a lack of education keeps the powers that be in power.

That a lot of authority figures cannot be trusted

Look around you and the things that are going on in this country and around the world. Are you going to try and say that the above statements are not true?

What he is saying is reasonable and a lot of it is beyond doubt. The problem is who's saying it - he has no credibility and a lot of people view him as the celebrity equivalent of the local nutter - shouting the end is nigh while supping a can of special brew and kicking out at passing cars.

I've no real time for the bloke, but I did see his interview on JR. He said himself he doesn't have the solutions, but he believes there are people who do and he lists them in his book. Have you read it? Didn't think so. Why? Because you think he's a clearing in the woods who isn't worth listening to, not because there isn't some truth to what he says. Your more of a plonker than he is if you think it's all bollocks.

have you read his book ?

No Tony I haven't, but why would that be relevant to the points I've made? I'm not attacking his beliefs on the basis of him being a bit of a clearing in the woods?

Risso's point was he talks absolute nonsense and asked for examples of 'stated truth'. I've provided some, which I believe are beyond reasonable doubt.

The point is, he is dismissed because of who he is and they way he goes about things, not because his actual message is inherently wrong or a load of old bollocks.

Opinions are given more/less credence dependant on the perception of the person offering said opinion, not the opinion itself. That's life. Happens everywhere, including on here.

Edited by wazzap24

what do they think is a joke mantis just out of curosity? is it who conducts his point or what he actually says?

I dunno, he's just put his dislike for Russel Brand on Twitter. Doesn't surprise me though, since despite our differences in political views I'll readily admit that the lecturer in question is incredibly intelligent so of course Brand's rants wouldn't appeal to him. ;)

Edited by Mantis

No Tony I haven't, but why would that be relevant to the points I've made? I'm not attacking his beliefs on the basis of him being a bit of a clearing in the woods?

Risso's point was he talks absolute nonsense and asked for examples of 'stated truth'. I've provided some, which I believe are beyond reasonable doubt.

The point is, he is dismissed because of who he is and they way he goes about things, not because his actual message is inherently wrong or a load of old bollocks.

Opinions are given more/less credence dependant on the perception of the person offering said opinion, not the opinion itself. That's life. Happens everywhere, including on here.

so you've no time for the bloke , haven't read his book but feel it's ok to call Risso a plonker for not liking the bloke and not reading his book

glad that's sorted :P

but more importantly you seem very on message with what he says in the book for someone that hasn't read it  ... presumably what you've done is regurgitate someone else's view of what's in the book ?  personally I find that a bit dangerous , at least read the book first and then tell us the points being made and why we are wrong , if that is the conclusion you come to after reading it

I think he's being dismissed because what he is peddling is hypocrisy of the highest order , ill conceived and not at all thought through  ... that he is a twunt obviously plays a part as well .... 

Edited by tonyh29

I'm not calling Risso a plonker (at all) and especially not for disliking Brand as a person or not reading the book.

I'm saying he's a plonker IF he really believes there is no truth to some of the things Brand says (mainly the examples I listed, all of which he talked about in his interview with JR, which you switched off) and it's all 'absolute nonsense'.

My overall point is; he is being ridiculed for who he is, rather than his opinions. Because some people think he's a knob, then they think all his opinions are obviously nonsense as well - which is clearly not the case, do you not agree?

That's not being 'on message' or regurgitating someone else's opinion. That's listening to what he said in an interview and thinking 'actually, some of what he's just said there is pretty spot on' not 'it's Russell Brand, he's a twunt he must be talking shit'

I'm sure I would find some of his opinions to be a load of old tosh, but I am not making a sweeping statement about all of them either way.

I refer back to the last line of my previous post; unfortunately people (including me) concentrate more on the person delivering the message, rather than the message itself a lot of the time. Which is a shame.

I don't get how he is peddling hypocrisy though - can you expand?

Edited by wazzap24

My overall point is; he is being ridiculed for who he is, rather than his opinions. Because some people think he's a knob, then they think all his opinions are obviously nonsense as well - which is clearly not the case, do you not agree? 

I absolutely agree with this. If someone else said this kind of thing who was more popular or credible then it wouldnt get dismissed so do I do think there is a major element of truth in this point

Â