Chess

maqroll

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

So the tournament where Magnus walked out - who won the tournament? Did Neimann beat any other good players in the next rounds?

Neimann won 1, drew 5, lost 2 finishing with 3.5pts. The Magnus games didn't count. He ended up 6th. French grandmaster Alireza Firouzja won the tournament with 3 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss getting 5pts.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Neimann won 1, drew 5, lost 2 finishing with 3.5pts. The Magnus games didn't count. He ended up 6th. French grandmaster Alireza Firouzja won the tournament with 3 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss getting 5pts.

I guess if he beats someone really good in this tournament then that will prove he’s really good and that his ‘anal bead’ win might have been legitimate.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I guess if he beats someone really good in this tournament then that will prove he’s really good and that his ‘anal bead’ win might have been legitimate.

Too late. He has no credibility now and rightly so. He's an admitted cheat with no integrity. Doesn't matter how good he actually is at chess just like it doesn't matter how good lance armstrong actually was at cycling. In fact in chess it's worse because in cycling chances are your direct opponents were cheating too. Also because it's so easy to cheat at chess it's even worse imo, zero effort involved. 

Edited by villa89

On 06/10/2022 at 17:46, NoelVilla said:

Came to the thread for the anal beads and found a fascinating discussion about time.

Chess has quite literally become a proper hardcore hobby, eh? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 07:22, BOF said:

Niemann suing Magnus and others for $100m for defamation re- the anal beads story and others 😂

Smacks of Patrick Reed trying to sue the PGA tour for defamation. A nonsense lawsuit America is famous for. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, villa89 said:

I've either lost my mind or chess is one of the great spectator sports. I've been watching 4 hours of the meltwater tour championships on Chess24's YouTube channel all week. It's the best TV I've seen all year. 

You are sane. It is a very engaging sport to watch IMO. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/11/2022 at 19:24, Stevo985 said:

Yep agreed. Once you understand the game it’s fascinating 

Hi Stevo, sorry for the absence from chess.com 'live', I've been stubbornly trying to improve v their computer, mainly against Isabel, my advanced level robot arch nemesis from Costa Rica (she's infuriatingly good, with her I'm usually on the wrong end of damn good thrashings, boo). Anyway, I've sent you an invite for another game...

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 19:24, Stevo985 said:

Yep agreed. Once you understand the game it’s fascinating 

P.s. Hope you've managed to thaw out after last night's game between the real Villa and the Villarreal! :s 🥶

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Hi Stevo, sorry for the absence from chess.com 'live', I've been stubbornly trying to improve v their computer, mainly against Isabel, my advanced level robot arch nemesis from Costa Rica (she's infuriatingly good..

I find that the computer players play one certain style all the time, once you get ahead of it they generally can't cope. Its good practice though.

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

I find that the computer players play one certain style all the time, once you get ahead of it they generally can't cope. Its good practice though.

The elementary computer players ('robots') generally can't cope with me, with the intermediates it's 50/50, with the first two advanced (Antonio 'of Paraguay' and Isabel 'of Costa Rica') it's me that can't cope. Recently they seemed to make her even better and I couldn't beat her at all but now she seems to be back to how she was previously and I win about one in ten again.

Edited by robby b

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing for the last couple of months, what a great game. 

It has to be said though, I am shit, like much worse than I should be for the time and effort I have spent learning this game.

In fact I think I actively prefer learning through watching videos and reading to the actual playing. I get so caught up in my tricky trap setting that I fail to see the opponents very obvious check mate, time and time again. 

Edited by VBM

1 hour ago, VBM said:

Been playing for the last couple of months, what a great game. 

It has to be said though, I am shit, like much worse than I should be for the time and effort I have spent learning this game.

In fact I think I actively prefer learning through watching videos and reading to the actual playing. I get so caught up in my tricky trap setting that I fail to see the opponents very obvious check mate, time and time again. 

I was the same when I started. i only concentrated on my moves and not what my opponent was doing.

One of the most effective things to learn in chess is every time your opponent makes a move, ask yourself "Why have they made that move?"

Just take 5 seconds to think about it. It can get you out of some very obvious holes. Sometimes even flipping the board round on whatever app or program you're using can help you see what they were trying to do.

You wouldn't move a piece without a plan of what you're going to do with it, so neither will your opponent.

• Like 1

Is there a Villa Talk Chess group on an app somewhere? 

I play every so often against mates and people around who might play. Only get beaten by one mate who plays alot and in turn Im the only one to beat him in 10 years or so. 

Im far worse on the apps than on a board for some reason. 

Â