Chess

maqroll

Did you read my last post?

I REALLY fail to see how ANYONE could lose a game under these conditions.

I am trying to join the Villa chess club but the activation e-mail that they sent me.The activation button does not work.Still,hoping to join soon.

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I understand what you are saying,and I agree with it but ,as mentioned by the mod above.I questioned 3 of my games.....because IMHO I was in a better position than my opponent,yet I lost.

As the mod says in the second reply.You have to keep your eye on the clock but why ? when time runs out its not always the player in the best position,as I have stated above and,why keep an eye on the clock ? Is it because the player who has not moved yet that loses or is it the player that still has to move that loses ?

47 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

OK stevo 985.Check out this game,that I have only just finished.I lost on time,yet I have 1-Rook  2-Knights and 3-pawns.Black has 1-Bishop and 2-pawns.

II have more material,I have the better positions,I have the advantage.I am sure that with 1 Rook and 2 Knights I could easily knock off his 2 pawns.If I dont go on any black squares,his Bishop can not touch me,and with 3 pawns all on one side with only one black pawn to get past I can get past without even using any other pieces except my pawns.

I could go on but I am sure there is enough info here to say that " I should have won this game"and NOT lost points.FFS.

I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Those are the rules. If you run out of time you lose. It doesn't matter if you are in a better position. If you should have won the game then tough shit. You took too long so you lost.

Those are the rules. It's like complaining that all the goals villa scored should have counted even though we scored them all with our hands. Those are the rules.

It is the entire point of the time limit. If you didn't lose because you ran out of time then there would be no point in having a time limit.

If you don't like it then there are versions of chess where you either don't have a time limit, or the time limit is much longer.

I really really don't understand why you are still struggling with this

I dont know what to say really because the way I see it is that.

1-its a timed game

2-When the time runs out there should be a result.

If its not going to be a draw,because "both players"ran out of time then WTF is the criteria that the player that is "obviously" losing wins.This is the part I am struggling with.Surely,if its not going to be a draw because "both"players ran out of time then why does the win not go to the player that is way out in front ?

Explain this to me then. In my game against scheell, I lost "on time" BUT.... I had 1 Rook-2-Knights and 3-Pawns.Black had 1-Bishop and 2-Pawns.

Now here is the thing.All "three of my pawns" were on the same side of the board,so,surely I shoul be able to Queen a pawn without having to use any of my other pieces.That leaves me 1-Rook and 2-Knights to hassel Blacks King and keep him away from my pawns "on their way to becomming Queens"

To me this looks like a "definate"win to me,so I really do fail to see why I lost ?  

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Those are the rules. It's like complaining that all the goals villa scored should have counted even though we scored them all with our hands. Those are the rules.

No,its like saying that Villa lost to 7 men because the ref blew his whistle exactly on 90 minutes and we didnt have "time" to score 1 goal and win 1-0i

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

No,its like saying that Villa lost to 7 men because the ref blew his whistle exactly on 90 minutes and we didnt have "time" to score 1 goal and win 1-0i

No it isn't, because there is no provision in the rules of football for that and teams play with the same time.

You can't let your clock get to zero before the other person or you'll lose, unless they are literally incapable of winning. It doesn't matter that you feel you were in a stronger position or would have won. It's that simple.

It's probably not changing so I'd suggest playing elsewhere if it gets you this worked up. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Well exactly. You're making my point for me.

If Villa are losing and the other team goes down to 7 men, and Villa don't win the game before 90 minutes then we still lose. Nobody says "Well villa wouldn't have lost if the game went on for another 20 minutes so they should get the win"

Edited by Stevo985

• VT Supporter
41 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont know what to say really because the way I see it is that.

1-its a timed game

2-When the time runs out there should be a result.

If its not going to be a draw,because "both players"ran out of time then WTF is the criteria that the player that is "obviously" losing wins.This is the part I am struggling with.Surely,if its not going to be a draw because "both"players ran out of time then why does the win not go to the player that is way out in front ?

Explain this to me then. In my game against scheell, I lost "on time" BUT.... I had 1 Rook-2-Knights and 3-Pawns.Black had 1-Bishop and 2-Pawns.

Now here is the thing.All "three of my pawns" were on the same side of the board,so,surely I shoul be able to Queen a pawn without having to use any of my other pieces.That leaves me 1-Rook and 2-Knights to hassel Blacks King and keep him away from my pawns "on their way to becomming Queens"

To me this looks like a "definate"win to me,so I really do fail to see why I lost ?  

For christ's sake man

THOSE ARE THE RULES

The whole point is that you can't just take loads of time to get into a good position and then claim you've won because you're in front. It's part of the game.

If you don't like those rules then there are versions of chess you can play where there is no time limit. These have been the rules of chess for decades, if not centuries. They aren't going to change and the mods at chess.com aren't going to award you victories for games you've lost on time

Edited by Stevo985

OK,sorry guys but the party is over.

I can see that I am not going to win this argument and TBH its not worth the hassle,so although I still believe its wrong I have decided that instead of trying to improve my game and my rating,from now on I am just going to try to improve my game and the rating/points,from now on are just a number.So,my apoligies for spoiling the party.

Now back to the buisness of chess.

• VT Supporter
3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

@Stevo985Im online now and logged in to chess.com if you want a game.I figure this is about the time you were online a couple of days ago.

I have a young baby so I'm up at all sorts of random times :D

Unfortunately wasn't online last night but any time you see me on feel free to send a challenge and we'll have a game :thumb:

• VT Supporter
2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I thought someone started some chess tips on this thread ? I cant find them.

If there are not any tips then maybe it would be a good idear to pass on any info that might help other players to improve their game. 

My tips would be:

• Learn an opening, both as white and black. If you don't know what one is, then do a bit of research. There are thousands, but if you learn one or two and learn them well then they'll do wonders for you. At beginner level you can win games purely through having a good opening.
  • Do some lessons. Chess.com has free lessons, take advantage, they can be really helpful
  • Puzzles: they also have free puzzles. Again they can be very useful
  • Analyse your games. Chess.com lets you analyse every single game you've played. Make use of it. Go through games, ESPECIALLY games you've lost, and see where you went wrong. The AI will tell you which moves were bad, which were good and which were blunders, and the moves you should have made instead. It also suggests lessons to do based on the games you've had. It's really useful.

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I thought someone started some chess tips on this thread ? I cant find them.

If there are not any tips then maybe it would be a good idear to pass on any info that might help other players to improve their game. 

Sorry, can't help the enem*COUGH* I mean opponent

I have 3 tips to pass on to others.I must stress though that these tips are entirely my owne ( I have not read these tips in any chess book or from any chess website ) I am always trying to improve my game and these are things I have picked up from my owne games, so,if they dont quite work out for you or seem a bit silly or whatever,all I can say is,sorry,im just trying to help.So, here goes.

1- Pawns I dont look on pawns the way other chess players do ( ie the lowest of the low ) A pair of pawns can force even a Queen to back off.So,my tips is DONT take a pawn, just because ite there for the taking.The reason is that if you take a pawn you end up with 2 pawns on the same row ( which makes one of them totally useless ) not only that pawns only have power if they are in twos/threes.So,take a pawn by all means BUT only if it helps you and not just because its there.

2 - Pawns again.This time in the endgame.When you are nearing the endgame ( before you are actually at the endgame ) but you both know the endgame is comming.As soon you realise that you are at this part of the game.If you cant move any other piece into a meaningful position then "move 1/2 pawns foreward.The reason for this is that at this stage of the game it could come down to a race to see who can Queen a pawn first.So, if you have made an early start you could be in a position to Queen your pawn before your opponent.You only have to be "one"move ahead to Queen your pawn first.

3- The King.If you can force the king to move ( just 1 square will do ) by checking him or threatening him then he "cant castle ) which obviously makes him more vunerable and you have not wasted your check/threat.The only way the king can castle is if he and at least one of the rooks have not moved already.

Hope these tips help someone.🙂

• VT Supporter
54 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

1- Pawns I dont look on pawns the way other chess players do ( ie the lowest of the low ) A pair of pawns can force even a Queen to back off.So,my tips is DONT take a pawn, just because ite there for the taking.The reason is that if you take a pawn you end up with 2 pawns on the same row ( which makes one of them totally useless ) not only that pawns only have power if they are in twos/threes.So,take a pawn by all means BUT only if it helps you and not just because its there.

2 - Pawns again.This time in the endgame.When you are nearing the endgame ( before you are actually at the endgame ) but you both know the endgame is comming.As soon you realise that you are at this part of the game.If you cant move any other piece into a meaningful position then "move 1/2 pawns foreward.The reason for this is that at this stage of the game it could come down to a race to see who can Queen a pawn first.So, if you have made an early start you could be in a position to Queen your pawn before your opponent.You only have to be "one"move ahead to Queen your pawn first.

A good way to summarise this and add to it is not to play "hope chess". 

Why are you moving that piece? You should never EVER move a piece just for the sake of it and just hoping something develops. You should always be moving a piece for a reason. If you don't have a reason then don't move it and find a piece that does have a reason.

Another huge tip that I struggled with at first is to not ignore what the other player is doing. Stop worrying so much about what you're doing and ask yourself what your opponent is doing.
If they move a piece then take a second to ask yourself "why has he moved that piece there?"
Once you embrace this you'll avoid loads of attacks before they happen

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â