Jump to content

Chess


maqroll
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

One of my favourite games I’ve played recently. Not particularly accurate chess, but a long hard slog. 
 

and considering I was really trapped at one point it’s very satisfying to come away with a victory

 

EqualLastDairycow-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recently got back into chess, and I'm BAD. 

 

But I really enjoy learning about it and playing the occasional game. 

Got myself some new nice pieces recently and will buy a new board as well for some physical games, but mostly play on Chess.com.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • VT Supporter
On 14/04/2022 at 14:58, Stevo985 said:

One of my favourite games I’ve played recently. Not particularly accurate chess, but a long hard slog. 
 

and considering I was really trapped at one point it’s very satisfying to come away with a victory

 

EqualLastDairycow-size_restricted.gif

Today’s was the other extreme to the above. One of my most “accurate” games ever. Just one inaccuracy in the whole game and that was a calculated bishop trade so doesn’t really count. 
 

Comfortable victory in the end considering he blundered but I was dominating anyway

 

 

board.gif

Edited by Stevo985
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long until these are going to be readily available*?!

Is there still an issue with supply of components, or is it simply keeping them scarce so the price stays high?

*and hopefully a bit cheaper

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/07/2022 at 11:55, Sam-AVFC said:

How long until these are going to be readily available*?!

Is there still an issue with supply of components, or is it simply keeping them scarce so the price stays high?

*and hopefully a bit cheaper

 Thanks @Stevo985, was wondering where this post went! Was meant for the PS5 thread.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • Moderator
11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Interesting developments in the world of chess lately.

Magnus Carlsen accusing Hans Niemann of cheating. Possibly with anal beads :D 

It's been a strange one. I follow the professional chess world quite closely. It's interesting to follow and without having all of the info (for legal reasons they won't/can't say everything) it's hard to have a definitive position on it.  As of right now with what we know, I have sympathy for both because, as I say, nothing is definitive and it's all very circumstantial and historically-based but not fully revealed.

This is a decent video.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just getting into Chess now and trying to learn it. I like watching the matches on chess.com with the commentary. The main thing I  have noted so far is that Nemo Zhou is hotter than hot. DHUTWU. The sexy chess twins are also mega sexy. Needless to say I've learnt bollock all so far but I'm enjoying playing the computer.  

Also without much knowledge its clear to me Niemann is a cheat. Probably someone who is still good enough to be a GM without cheating but has gone full Lance Armstrong. He's also working with someone who's a known cheat from what I can see online.  

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 28/09/2022 at 10:09, villa89 said:

Also without much knowledge its clear to me Niemann is a cheat. Probably someone who is still good enough to be a GM without cheating but has gone full Lance Armstrong. He's also working with someone who's a known cheat from what I can see online.  

He may be doing something, but it's far from proven and he also may not be either. What he has, is a history of cheating online when he was younger, but at the moment that's what it is. That and Magnus' suspicions. The unknowns here are problematic for actual proof, as opposed to an internet kangaroo court which never needs proof. And this is where the content creator internet commenters have issue.  It's difficult to cheat over the board i.e. face to face. Short of having something metal on you or the rumoured and rather amusing vibrating anal beads. Magnus' current justification for walking away is that he said Niemann wasn't stressed at key moments in the game. Said his timings were off etc. These are a 'feel' and very circumstantial, but in conjunction with Niemann's past he obviously felt it was enough to constitute possible cheating. I'm not defending Niemann and neither are the commenters but Magnus needs a bit more than that in order to attempt to wreck someone's career. Without proof you shouldn't really be doing that to someone who used to cheat online as a kid. And Magnus' problem is that it's also hard to have proof of what he's accusing.  It's a tricky one, but as the underlined above shows, the internet will largely have decided upon it already, especially with the clout that someone like Magnus has.

And in the end no matter what happens, it has to have happened with proof. It's not a case of 'ha I told you all along' because where we are right now doesn't have enough to be decided either way, but he is innocent until proven guilty.

Magnus needs to come out with the stuff he hasn't come out with yet, and when the facts change so will the opinions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Yeah I'm not that up to speed on it but I'm not sure there's much evidence, if any, to support Niemann cheating in live classical chess.

The anal beads thing is pure fantasy. That's just come from there being incidents of people cheating with small buzzers on their legs or body parts that tell them moves to make.
Niemann has offered to play naked so people have jumped to the ridiculous conclusion that he must have something concealed in his body that helps him cheat.

I don't buy it. 

@BOF is right, if Carlsen or anyone else has evidence that he's cheated then they need to put it on the table, otherwise they're massively tainting this young guy's reputation out of bitterness

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

 

@BOF is right, if Carlsen or anyone else has evidence that he's cheated then they need to put it on the table, otherwise they're massively tainting this young guy's reputation out of bitterness

From the wording of the statement Magnus is basically saying he, and chess.com, know more but for legal reasons they can't say. 

It's all too fishy for me, magically shoots up the rankings, working with a known cheater, suddenly able to beat the world number 1 with 100% move accuracy. 

I don't think Magnus is bitter about losing, it's not like he lost his reputation as the best in the world. He's still #1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

From the wording of the statement Magnus is basically saying he, and chess.com, know more but for legal reasons they can't say. 

It's all too fishy for me, magically shoots up the rankings, working with a known cheater, suddenly able to beat the world number 1 with 100% move accuracy. 

I don't think Magnus is bitter about losing, it's not like he lost his reputation as the best in the world. He's still #1.

The bitterness is only there if there's no evidence of cheating. Like I said if there's evidence then we'll see it eventually.

It's the absence of evidence that makes it come across as bitter. LIke I said if the evidence is there then it's of course a totally different situation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/09/2022 at 10:09, villa89 said:

Just getting into Chess now and trying to learn it. I like watching the matches on chess.com with the commentary. The main thing I  have noted so far is that Nemo Zhou is hotter than hot. DHUTWU. The sexy chess twins are also mega sexy. Needless to say I've learnt bollock all so far but I'm enjoying playing the computer. 

Yes, you'll notice there are plenty of astonishingly good-looking female chess players. The same can't be said of most of the male ones, ha ha.

(I say this as someone who is also attracted to men, so there's no unexamined bias going on here. Just the pure apple of truth.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, villa89 said:

From the wording of the statement Magnus is basically saying he, and chess.com, know more but for legal reasons they can't say. 

It's all too fishy for me, magically shoots up the rankings, working with a known cheater, suddenly able to beat the world number 1 with 100% move accuracy. 

I don't think Magnus is bitter about losing, it's not like he lost his reputation as the best in the world. He's still #1.

He didn't magically shoot up the rankings. He's 19 and he's a grandmaster. Chess.com banned him years ago for online cheating and yes Magnus says he has more that he's waiting on permission from Hans to release. That's the bit we need to hear, because at the moment it's just an empty threat.  It's definitely fishy. But we shouldn't convict based on a whiff of fish (fnarr fnarr). And no-one is suggesting Magnus is bitter at all. The guy is the legitimate GOAT. He has since won the Julius Baer Generation Cup using very unorthodox chess. The guy is on a different planet. He definitely believes he is correct. But we just need to see it, that's all. No-one is claiming Hans is squeaky clean here. But you can't hang him on suspicion or on past transgressions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63140246

Quote

A chess player at the centre of a cheating row gripping the game "likely" cheated in more than 100 games online, according to an investigation.

Hans Niemann has been accused by world champion Magnus Carlsen of cheating, though no evidence has been presented.

Now an investigation by Chess.com says it is likely Niemann has cheated "much more often" than he has acknowledged.

 

Told Ya!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
23 hours ago, villa89 said:

We knew this already though from Magnus' previous statement. Magnus explicitly said Niemann had cheated more often and more recently than he admitted to and that's what this article is saying. We're waiting on Magnus to give us the juicy stuff. And any evidence of 'over the board' cheating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Oh and Niemann won his opening game in the U.S. Championships yesterday over the board.  The security to get into the place was high, and they made Niemann turn around so they could wand his arse properly too :lol: #

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 13:06, BOF said:

It's been a strange one. I follow the professional chess world quite closely. It's interesting to follow and without having all of the info (for legal reasons they won't/can't say everything) it's hard to have a definitive position on it.  As of right now with what we know, I have sympathy for both because, as I say, nothing is definitive and it's all very circumstantial and historically-based but not fully revealed.

This is a decent video.

 

So the tournament where Magnus walked out - who won the tournament? Did Neimann beat any other good players in the next rounds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â