Chess

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Added you mate. My rapid rating is only around 1k though. 

Cheers! 🙂 Ooh, mine is similar, I think it's 860 something. I tried the rapid game on there for the first time a few days ago with two random people somewhere in the world. But I really didn't understand the point of the 10 minute countdown. Confused. :s I couldn't find an explanation of the rules from chess.com, which was frustrating.

I mean, is there a time limit for a move or not?

8 minutes ago, robby b said:

Cheers! 🙂 Ooh, mine is similar, I think it's 860 something. I tried the rapid game on there for the first time a few days ago with two random people somewhere in the world. But I really didn't understand the point of the 10 minute countdown. Confused. :s I couldn't find an explanation of the rules from chess.com, which was frustrating.

I mean, is there a time limit for a move or not?

There's no time limit for each move but you only get 10 minutes total (there are other versions you can get but 10 minute is pretty common)

So every time it's your turn to move, your clock counts down. When you make a move it stops and the other person's clock counts down.

If your clock reaches zero you lose.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's no time limit for each move but you only get 10 minutes total (there are other versions you can get but 10 minute is pretty common)

So every time it's your turn to move, your clock counts down. When you make a move it stops and the other person's clock counts down.

If your clock reaches zero you lose.

Hi Stevo! Ah, I see, thank you! 🙂 I guess that explanation must be on chess.com somewhere but I couldn't find it, it's a bit of a labyrinth of a website, I don't find it useful friendly.

But what about if I'm winning the game when my clock reaches zero?! That would be a bit unfair... I mean if for example I'm up +4 with the pieces I've taken when my timer reaches zero? 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by robby b

24 minutes ago, robby b said:

Hi Stevo! Ah, I see, thank you! 🙂 I guess that explanation must be on chess.com somewhere but I couldn't find it, it's a bit of a labyrinth of a website, I don't find it useful friendly.

But what about if I'm winning the game when my clock reaches zero?! That would be a bit unfair... I mean if for example I'm up +4 with the pieces I've taken when my timer reaches zero? 🤔🤔🤔

You still lose. It's part of the game I'm afraid. Stops people taking all day to make their moves. They might be winning but they've taken too long.

The only way you don't lose is if your opponent doesn't have enough material to legally check mate you. So if you run out of time but your opponent only has their king left, the game would be drawn "due to insufficient material". There's no way your opponent could checkmate you with just his king even if you had time left, so it's called as a draw

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You still lose. It's part of the game I'm afraid. Stops people taking all day to make their moves. They might be winning but they've taken too long.

The only way you don't lose is if your opponent doesn't have enough material to legally check mate you. So if you run out of time but your opponent only has their king left, the game would be drawn "due to insufficient material". There's no way your opponent could checkmate you with just his king even if you had time left, so it's called as a draw

Wow, so I can't afford to dwell on any moves really, they all need to be quick or quite quick I suppose. I'll go on there now in case you or Vive are free for a game...

And BTW, thanks for making me question my understanding of non-organic v organic food today, I've realised that I need to do more and better research into it, especially re. pesticides!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Wow, so I can't afford to dwell on any moves really, they all need to be quick or quite quick I suppose. I'll go on there now in case you or Vive are free for a game...

And BTW, thanks for making me question my understanding of non-organic v organic food today, I've realised that I need to do more and better research into it, especially re. pesticides!

Yeah you can't dwell, hence the name Rapid Chess :)

There are even quicker versions too. Blitz or Bullet.

I think Rapid accounts for time limits down to 10 minutes. Blitz is anything between 10 and 3 minutes. and Bullet is anything under 3 minutes.

If you have some free time have a look at some bullet chess played by GMs on YouTube. It is absolutely insane. I can't even follow what they're doing, let alone play it myself

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you have some free time have a look at some bullet chess played by GMs on YouTube. It is absolutely insane. I can't even follow what they're doing, let alone play it myself

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 23:50, Stevo985 said:

I got in touch with the mods and they said that if you lose/draw a game that you were ahead of when the time ran out,get in touch with them with the details of who you were playing and explain the situation.

BTW.I am PussEKatt on chess.com

I am going to add Stevo,robinbab13 and Vive_la_amo as friends.

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

I got in touch with the mods and they said that if you lose/draw a game that you were ahead of when the time ran out,get in touch with them with the details of who you were playing and explain the situation.

BTW.I am PussEKatt on chess.com

I am going to add Stevo,robinbab13 and Vive_la_amo as friends.

Eh?

If you run out of time you lose. 
If running out of time while you were ahead meant you still won you could just run the time down after you win your first piece and you’ve won. 

• Haha 1

@stevo985.Well I asked the mods because I thought it was unfair ( I had a Queen,a Knight and 4 pawns and white had his King and 1 pawn,yet I lost on time,so I got in touch with the mods and thats what they said ( some guy called Arturo )

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

@stevo985.Well I asked the mods because I thought it was unfair ( I had a Queen,a Knight and 4 pawns and white had his King and 1 pawn,yet I lost on time,so I got in touch with the mods and thats what they said ( some guy called Arturo )

That's an odd thing to do. I imagine you got a standard response. They won't do anything about it because there's nothing to do anything about.

There's nothing unfair. You ran out of time. That's literally the point of playing a timed game.

Â