QF: Saturday 5th ARG BEL NED CRC

limpid

As a neutral I like it when the attacking team wins. I was starting to worry we'd got 04 Greece all over again. I didn't think it was a penalty either. Call me old fashioned but a foul usually has more contact than socks brushing against each other.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with what Krul was doing. If that kind of thing puts you off then you probably shouldn't be one of the first 5 penalty takers.

I don't think what he did should be allowed. There's a big difference between doing a Barthez(sp?) and kicking the posts and delaying the penalty been taken, and what Krul did. Getting right up in the faces of the penalty takers and talking them down (probably saying something like "I'm saving this" or "I'm watching your eyes") seems very un-sportsmanlike to me.

So? It's the world cup quarter final. If I'm out there, I'm taking any edge I can. Easy to cry foul play from the armchair though eh.

• Like 2

Van Gaal wankfest? You must absolutely despise Messi then? Every single touch of the ball...

Don't think anyone complained when Guzan was saying things during the Peace Cup shootout but that was Villa winning so all good, right? A stuttery run up is even worse but it's allowed.

I said Man Utd wankfest, not Van Gaal. Van Gaal is the reason for it, but it's the constant bigging up of Man Utd I can't stand.

I didn't see Krul get in anyones face. Can someone prove us with a gif.

Also Argentine player's are not exactly the most likeable either.

He was just trying to pysche them out... No harm in it. You get worse in cricket.

• Like 1

Did anybody real want Costa Rica in the semi's? We'd just have to endure another 90 minutes or so of defensive football. The world cup is about attacking exciting players. Messi vs Robben is much more interesting... 

Did anybody real want Costa Rica in the semi's? We'd just have to endure another 90 minutes or so of defensive football. The world cup is about attacking exciting players. Messi vs Robben is much more interesting... 

This.

As much as I admire Costa Rica and their performance in this years WC, I want to see teams at least try and attack and score goals

• Like 2

Should have stopped Navas' wobbly goalkeeper dance in that case...

Surely you see a difference between trying to put someone off whilst stood in the goal, and staring/ talking at them from 1 foot away.

Would you also find it acceptable if the Costa Rican players had walked up to Krul and spat near where he stood? Not close enough to touch him, but close enough to cause offence or 'put him off'. (However, of course, he's just clearing his throat, which isn't against the rules).

Before the penalty shoot-out, I actually wanted Holland to go on and win the game and the tournament. But now I think I'd rather Germany won it.

Should have stopped Navas' wobbly goalkeeper dance in that case...

Surely you see a difference between trying to put someone off whilst stood in the goal, and staring/ talking at them from 1 foot away.

Would you also find it acceptable if the Costa Rican players had walked up to Krul and spat near where he stood? Not close enough to touch him, but close enough to cause offence or 'put him off'. (However, of course, he's just clearing his throat, which isn't against the rules).

Didn't see Krul spit, that's a new one.

If you watch the penalties back, Navas has a word with a couple of Dutch players, difference being the Dutch players ignored it and kept focus. He's also off his line before most of the shots were taken, just as he was against Greece. Both goalkeepers did what they could to put the penalty takers off, as you would expect from a goalkeeper, that's their job.

Knowing how the minority of VTers are, if the shoe was on the other foot it would all be perfectly fine and Navas would be a hero for doing so. Fortunately the majority seem to see it as a goalkeeper doing his job and doing it well.

Yawn, the whole 'if the shoe was on the other foot' argument is getting pretty old. I've said a number of times that I wanted Holland to win. It's nothing to do with favouritism or a preferred or disliked team. I dislike what Krul did. I also didn't see Navas get up in the face of the Dutch players, and definitely not for the length of time that Krul did. And I mentioned the spitting example as an example I didn't say that Krul did it. Care to answer the question of my previous post? Had Navas, or any keeper, done that, would you view that in the same way, as it's just someone doing his job and doing it well?

Yawn, the whole 'if the shoe was on the other foot' argument is getting pretty old

You're right, it is getting pretty old but it is so true.

If Navas had done the same, that would be fine. He's a goalkeeper, it's his duty to put players off of scoring... it would be like complaining that a striker is scoring goals :huh:

Much in the same way I have no problem with his dancing about on the line to put the penalty takers off. That's his method of putting players off and it didn't work. A footballer at a World Cup shouldn't buckle under the pressure of somebody saying "I'm going to save your shot".

I didn't ask if Navas had done the same. I asked if Navas or any other keeper had spat near an opposition player, would that be acceptable? There's nothing in the rules against it, as he's just clearing his throat, but it's close enough to the player to cause offence. Would you count that as just 'doing his job' or 'gaining an advantage' too?

Okay, that's a strange one that you've come up with. Spitting around a player... no, that's not really acceptable, that's just disgusting.

I don't see how this relates to anything?