Buying a Telescope

Wainy316

The lady friend would like a telescope for her birthday and I have absolutely no idea where to start.  They seem to range from about £30-£5000.

Is there a complete bottom range that I need to avoid.  Wasn't looking at spending much more than £100.  Doesn't need to be amazing just needs to do things that telescopes are meant to do to an acceptable standard.

Anyone able to help?

My advice would be get a £100 one, or maybe even less. The best selling one on amazon is £50 and it looks like an expensive one. That's all you want. Sure it'll make things look bigger and the reviews are good, but she'll use it once, get cold and go back inside again and the telescope will sit in your closet for 10 years until eventually you throw it out. Telescopes are a romantic idea, but looking at little lights is boring for 99% of people. If she hasn't got interest enough to have bought it for herself at this point in her life, she's not got interest enough for you to spend more than £100 on it for her. If you have other ideas for gifts she'll actually use, then put most of the cash into them.

Bickster there is exhibiting classic telescope snobbery, but being realistic, she wants a toy. Get the £50 one on amazon. If she uses it more than a few times, go back and get a more expensive one, but the chances of that are so slim.

I know sweet bugger all about the topic in hand, but this, this and this might be helpful.  

Although I might be able to help you on electron microscopes.  Which isn't what you've asked at all.  So really I don't even know why I've typed that.

I know sweet bugger all about the topic in hand, but this, this and this might be helpful.  

Although I might be able to help you on electron microscopes.  Which isn't what you've asked at all.  So really I don't even know why I've typed that.

In all fairness he'd definiately need an electron microscope to search for his dick!

bwahahahahaahhahahaaa

I should right jokes for der New Yorker or sumthin.

Bickster there is exhibiting classic telescope snobbery

nope, just the experience of going HOWFLIPPINGMUCH when my daughter had a passing interest. One she quickly lost when I explained how many chimneys she'd have to sweep to be able to afford it

Bickster there is exhibiting classic telescope snobbery

nope, just the experience of going HOWFLIPPINGMUCH when my daughter had a passing interest. One she quickly lost when I explained how many chimneys she'd have to sweep to be able to afford it

But santa might be stuck in one of the chimneys :)

I thought the Viz top tip would have been done, surprised it hasn't. I'll do the honours:

"Don't waste money buying an expensive telescope . Simply stand next to the object you wish to view"

• Like 1

On a serious note, my mate is delighted wit his new Swarovski telescope. Then again, he should, it cost £3k! He is a serious birdwatcher. 

Get one off ebay. They are generally looked after,  and you can getter better quality for your buck. It can go either way She'll either love it or give it up in a couple of months. Bear in mind its a winter sport really. By that I mean its not really dark in summer until gone 10. Also there are good apps now for star identification, and something like stellarium, free for your pc. It tells you what to look for on a given night.

Ladyfriend....riiight

tumblr_lmxc3w9kwT1qkr5g1o1_500.jpg

Going off topic, but have you ever thought about how messed up Back To The Future is? Basically, he catches his Dad cracking one off up a tree, and later gets off with his Mother. 

Â