$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Haven't those two names come up before? Harris definitely has.

Harris was one some people were dreaming of because of how much the investment group is worth. The key is in the name though investment group they won't spunk money up the wall but the club may be ran well

• Like 1

Haven't those two names come up before? Harris definitely has.

Harris was one some people were dreaming of because of how much the investment group is worth. The key is in the name though investment group they won't spunk money up the wall but the club may be ran well

That'll do.

THE MODERN OWNER

Once upon another sports generation, there were rich men like the Walter O’Malleys (the Dodgers) and Horace Stonehams (the baseball Giants). These were owners whose devotion to their teams was nearly matched by their financial dependency on them. Later came the Steinbrenners and Wilpons, no less impassioned, who had built their wealth in other businesses.

These men helped build a sports business culture that now values their franchises at around a billion dollars each. Tellingly, none would have had the means to become owners in today’s market. In the falling away of their breed looms a dystopian sports universe where teams are clinically manipulated from a distance by corporate tycoons who have found the ultimate plaything. Who needs a fantasy league when you can toy with the thing itself?

Out of this specter comes Harris, the paradigm of the modern owner — neither as emotionally invested as fans may wish, nor as detached as they may fear. While he may be constrained by an NHL-imposed salary cap, it’s unlikely he’ll ever impose one on himself.

On opening night at the Prudential Center this season, he looked at ease in a night-blue sports coat and a red-billed Devils cap. He found a cranny next to a penalty box, nearly camouflaged in a bank of jerseys with the flared demon’s tail. He shook his fist as his new team scored late to force overtime against the Islanders, though they lost a shootout.

Afterward, he and Blitzer brought a throng of family and friends onto the ice. About two dozen children found a mecca here, slip-sliding and gawking at the six-sided honeycomb scoreboard above them. Not many fathers can give their children an arena to frolic in.

13789046-large.jpgJosh Harris shakes hands with Devils captain Bryce Salvador, left, and Islanders captain John Tavares before the Devils home opener in October. Harris described the shootout loss as "a great night" that "could have been better."John Munson/The Star-Ledger

"A great night," said Harris, toeing the ice. He is 48 years old, about 5-foot-8, hardly overbearing in size. (He is proud of his 31-inch waist and 12 percent body fat.) He bears a passing likeness to Robert F. Kennedy. The dogged athlete is plain to see. His power is held compactly in his shoulders and chest, in a strong chin, a super-white set of teeth and piercing green eyes. The shootout result did not sit well with him.

"A great night, but could have been better," he added.

By most measures, the Devils are one of hockey’s elite franchises. Since 1995, they have been to five Stanley Cup Finals and won three championships. Only the Detroit Red Wings have done better. And thanks to the Devils’ previous owners, Jeff Vanderbeek and Ray Chambers, they play in a sparkling arena near the Ironbound district.

Still, another man may have scanned the books and shied away. The Devils owed about $230 million, were struggling to meet payroll and perpetually locked in disputes with the city over parking revenues and plans to revitalize the area more fully. Harris and Blitzer recognized a familiar narrative with the Devils — an organization with assets and room to grow but saddled with debt.

The Sixers were in a similar predicament when Harris and Blitzer took over there. With the Devils purchase, Sixer chat rooms and blogs lit up with withering criticism of Harris as something of a carpetbagger, who has boosted attendance in Philadelphia (from 14,000 to 17,000 a game last year) only with marketing gimmicks and discounted tickets. But industry estimates value the Sixers at $418 million, up $131 million in just two years, a 46 percent increase.

In Vanderbeek, Harris and Blitzer see a sympathetic figure who was dragged down during the recession,

"Jeff’s timing was really difficult," said Blitzer, who has also become rich turning around faltering companies. "The world blew up right after he built that arena."

On a smaller scale, the Devils’ finances resembled LyondellBasell Industries, the world’s largest manufacturer of polypropylene, which filed for bankruptcy early in 2009. Apollo banked heavily on it with a $2 billion investment that ended up producing a gargantuan paper profit of more than $10 billion, the greatest gain ever on a private-equity investment, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

"Sometimes it’s better to be the second owner than the first," said Harris. "There are plenty of skyscrapers, if you look around New York, where the first owner didn’t do well but he built a fantastic building."

Click

• Like 2

Smetrov.

I understand what you're saying,

- I just find the 'Yes I know something' 'actually I don't' a bit perplexing

It's not this way.

Put it this way, Let's say the buyer himself said to you he's going to buy and he's on advanced stages.

Would you say you know or you don't ?

For me I'd say I know, But I still need to know the details to know whether Lerner is only considering him or still negotiating with others.

I don't know how takeovers usually finishes, nor I know how long it takes....etc

That's why I couldn't say something about it because I only hear it from the buyer side, that they're confident of buying.

I would say I've heard XXX is the advanced stages of buying Aston Villa - I wouldn't try and qualify it with 'But I don't know the details'

You're a native speaker though, cut him some slack and stop getting upset about semantics!

• Like 4

not a case of being upset - not doubting the poster is passing it on in good faith - and long may it continue - but Imo this one hasn't got legs

I agree. There's been far to many people on this forum who somehow have information on our possible new owners.

I did hear from my friend this week who said there was a foreign investment team looking at us, bt he said it wasn't American. Been trying not to post much on this as I have had a few doubts after being DM'd on twitter about my comments here.

Sounds promising with the two American names. They sound like the kind of owners we need.

On a side note anyone else think its terrible that Lerner won't sanction new deals? I think its bad enough the position he's put us in but to then risk losing key players for no money 12 months down the line just adds a bit of an insult to it all.

Sounds promising with the two American names. They sound like the kind of owners we need.

On a side note anyone else think its terrible that Lerner won't sanction new deals? I think its bad enough the position he's put us in but to then risk losing key players for no money 12 months down the line just adds a bit of an insult to it all.

Im kinda hoping he will - He's having a stab at trying to sell the club as is - but perhaps August time he may realise it isn't happening, and realise that the club is more saleable with Vlaar on a decent contract.......

but as i keep saying this is the man who thought Alex Mcleish was the answer to our problems...

So they go to buy charlton for 18million and withdraw their offer and then a year later try and buy villa for 150-200 million.

Doesn't add up to me.

Right now I'd take Ken Bates!

It sounds like they look for the right investment. They clearly have a lot of money so I don't think we can read much into their approach of Charlton and possible purchase of us.

So they go to buy charlton for 18million and withdraw their offer and then a year later try and buy villa for 150-200 million.

Doesn't add up to me.

It sounds like they look for the right investment. They clearly have a lot of money so I don't think we can read much into their approach of Charlton and possible purchase of us.

I'm not questioning their approach just whether the journalists are making it up

Doesn't add up to me.

Yeah thats a concern - but there are no reasons as to why he pulled out of charlton - could it be that last december he got wind of Aston Villa being on the market ? - and though 'thats the club for me .....and I intend to spunk my very last penny on it"     - probably not ...

Doesn't add up to me.

I'm not questioning their approach just whether the journalists are making it up

It does strike me theres a bit of pattern emerging......just when all and sundry are saying no deal imminent ......then up pops another link......................whose pulling the strings here???

Im kinda hoping he will - He's having a stab at trying to sell the club as is - but perhaps August time he may realise it isn't happening, and realise that the club is more saleable with Vlaar on a decent contract.......

but as i keep saying this is the man who thought Alex Mcleish was the answer to our problems...

I'm clinging to this hope like a drowning man to be honest, that if we reach mid-August and nothing's happening or likely, we might see some contract renewals and a couple of purchases around the £4-5m mark in crucial positions. I daren't hope for any more, because it feels like I'm hoping for the world already, but there it is. 

Doesn't add up to me.

I know nothing about Charlton. However, I would imagine they would need to spend 200 million just to get them to where we are. In the Premier League.. great ground fan base etc. Why run the risk when can get us on the cheap 150-170M and just requiring 50-100 million to get us competing for Europe again.. potential to bring in sponsors etc. They probably did their homework and thought even though its cheap to buy Charlton they will probably need to pump a lot into the club.. the risk to spend that much to get them competing in the Premier League is one thing but the supporters/sponsors etc may be harder to attract.