Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

His two main stints for Villa (1976-83 and 1988-91) were just about the best times to be a villa fan, although the second spell was a bit up and down.

When you think of the players he played alongside, and the type of football played by our teams in those years, if any of that can rub off on our present squad, we might have more chance of seeing decent performances.

BTW, on the favourite player from those years, mine was Little followed by Gidman.

But there were a lot to choose from!

One thing we haven't discussed much is how he has done as a coach/manager with Villa as opposed to player. Anyone got a view?

• Like 1

Yes Gidman was released by Liverpool as a teenager. Called into Shankley's office " "We’re releasing yer. ‘Son, yer s***’ – I’ll always remember how he said it."

He got his revenge in the youth cup final of 72. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Gidman is still the best right back we ever had. Top player who would've won many England caps had he not been out for so long with the eye injury.

Not quite up there with Sid though!

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 2

Gidman's runs down the right were legendary.

So was his hair!

Everton fan that I work with rates him as one his fave players. Funnily enough, a Man U fan in the same office thinks he was a great player for them too.

Not too shabby was our Giddy.

Shame he left us. Probably why i wouldn't put him on my all-time great list. Guess he was a scouse at heart!

In fairness Paul, I don't think he and Andy Gray were given a choice due to their fall out with Ron Saunders.

Shame he left us. Probably why i wouldn't put him on my all-time great list. Guess he was a scouse at heart!

In fairness Paul, I don't think he and Andy Gray were given a choice due to their fall out with Ron Saunders.

Yes never really knew what went on there. Also Brian Little would have joined Blues but for a failed medical. That was when the sold Francis i think. Guess Saunders wasn't easy to get along with. 

Yep agreed. You'd hope that the players (who if the rumours are tue didn't like Culverhouse) would now play with a bit more freedom and play a natural game (which is how we played towards the end of last season). Not expecting massive strides in such a short time though.

Yes Gidman was released by Liverpool as a teenager. Called into Shankley's office " "We’re releasing yer. ‘Son, yer s***’ – I’ll always remember how he said it."

He got his revenge in the youth cup final of 72. 

How dare you - No Liverpool manager would ever do such a thing. There about to win the ling with a team based on players through the youth team - wash your mouth out young man...

Â