England v Denmark Friendly

andykeenan

based on how he's set the world alight in his previous 22 caps?

thats why i called it silly season, world cup approaching once again all of these english players who perform consistently well in the league start being labelled as walking in to other teams, when in reality they've either done a mixture of absolutely nothing or performed below par at international level

baines is a good player, but he's done nothing of any merit in an england shirt, not played in the champions league, hardly played in europe, he's not done anything to show he's better than schmelzer

daniel sturridge has 10 england caps, 5 of them starts, 3 goals and he's good enough to play for brazil...

thats why i called it silly season, world cup approaching once again all of these english players who perform consistently well in the league start being labelled as walking in to other teams, when in reality they've either done a mixture of absolutely nothing or performed below par at international level

baines is a good player, but he's done nothing of any merit in an england shirt, not played in the champions league, hardly played in europe, he's not done anything to show he's better than schmelzer

daniel sturridge has 10 england caps, 5 of them starts, 3 goals and he's good enough to play for brazil...

I stand by my statement.

Given Brazil's current striker situation, and Sturridge's form, if he was brazilian he'd be in their squad, possibly even starting depending on their formation.

He hasn't been amazing for England, but part of that is probably because England are pretty shit.

i think he'd be in the squad given his form but they have a front 3 of neymar, hulk and fred

fred's scored 45 goals in his last 63 league games, which i know some will automatically say the brazil league is a pub league, but seeing as the WC is in brazil you cant discount it, and he's got 10 goals in his last 11 brazil games...

i think people get on the slippery slope to believing that england have all these decent players and that we should do well, if the likes of sturridge transfer their league form in to the national team then maybe he will do well, but i've just witnessed 10 years of a "golden generation" full of "world class" players that would "walk in to any team in the world" be shit for england, the 3 worst offenders, gerrard, lampard and rooney, are all still there, i dont trust any of them to perform anywhere near their best at the WC, and that is why they wont get other peoples teams, they simply don't perform at international level

i think he'd be in the squad given his form but they have a front 3 of neymar, hulk and fred

fred's scored 45 goals in his last 63 league games, which i know some will automatically say the brazil league is a pub league, but seeing as the WC is in brazil you cant discount it, and he's got 10 goals in his last 11 brazil games...

And Sturridge has 28 in his last 34 league games. A better ratio in a far superior league.

Fred's international record is good, but like I said he hasn't played in going on 9 months for his country and has been injured on and off all season.

I'm not trying to say Sturridge is better than the brazilian strikers as a whole. I'm just saying given their current situation and his form he'd probably get in the team.

I do agree with you that we tend to get carried away with English players. But I also think it works the opposite way sometimes. If Sturridge's name was Sturridginho, I feel like he'd be a lot higher rated by some.

And Sturridge has 28 in his last 34 league games. A better ratio in a far superior league.

Fred's international record is good, but like I said he hasn't played in going on 9 months for his country and has been injured on and off all season.

I'm not trying to say Sturridge is better than the brazilian strikers as a whole. I'm just saying given their current situation and his form he'd probably get in the team.

I do agree with you that we tend to get carried away with English players. But I also think it works the opposite way sometimes. If Sturridge's name was Sturridginho, I feel like he'd be a lot higher rated by some.

Duh, his name would be Sturridgeto and he would be amazing unlike the average English version.

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml

• Like 1

And how exactly has Schmelzer set the world alight in his previous 16 caps?

He's not done anything to show he's better than Baines.

a mixture of reasons, the main one being, which you seem to be missing, is that in my opinion english players who play well in the prem, time and time again, don't turn up for england

baines is a good player,but he wont do anything in the summer, and in that respect he'll be just like the other 22 England players, just like the 23 in 2012, the 23 in 2010, the how many during the qualifying campaign in 08? 

when was the last time an english premier league player managed to take his league form in to a tournament? or perform consistently well for the national team? ashley cole maybe?

build these players up, say they are good enough to play for brazil and germany and other good teams, and then watch in the summer as they all have a poor tournament and show themselves as actually not being anywhere near good enough to play for those teams, same old england....

Don't turn up for England?

They qualified us for the tournament didn't they?

Normally we get knocked out by one of the top teams.

No shame in getting knocked out by Germany or Italy.

That's not having a poor tournament.

yeah you're right, during the last 2 tournaments when we were unfortunate to lose to germany and italy, wayne rooney played to the best of his ability and had a good tournament...

cos the way i remember it, rooney embarrassed himself with his performances, and he wasn't the only one, we were lucky to get out of an easy group, and then were thoroughly outplayed by much better teams

yeah you're right, during the last 2 tournaments when we were unfortunate to lose to germany and italy, wayne rooney played to the best of his ability and had a good tournament...

cos the way i remember it, rooney embarrassed himself with his performances, and he wasn't the only one, we were lucky to get out of an easy group, and then were thoroughly outplayed by much better teams

Rooney granted but Gerrard got into the team of the tournament at Euro 2012.

Also at Euro 2012, France and Italy could not beat us.

2010 was our worst World Cup ever and we still got out the group and only lost to Germany.

Compare that to how France and Italy performed in South Africa.

I don't understand why it's silly to suggest 1 or 2 English players would be good enough to play for Germany or Brazil. Germany or Brazil would still be far better teams, but being born German or Brazilian doesn't automatically make you better than English players. Germany and Brazil aren't perfect sides, they're far better than England yes, but England are much better than Poland, and lewandowski would still get into England's side.

do you mean other than 5 years of playing champions league including 1 final, 2 league titles with dortmund, part of the german U21 winning team, and part of the team that got to the semi's of the last euros?

I think Rooneys resume over the past give years would look better than this, but it's silly to suggest he would play according to you...

when was the last time an english premier league player managed to take his league form in to a tournament? or perform consistently well for the national team? ashley cole maybe?

Peter Crouch

Did anybody hear on Saturday Jeff Stelling say Adam Lallana would walk into any national team in the world.

I like Lallana he is a good player but come on

Unbelievable, Jeff.

Â