England v Denmark Friendly

andykeenan

I don't understand why it's silly to suggest 1 or 2 English players would be good enough to play for Germany or Brazil. Germany or Brazil would still be far better teams, but being born German or Brazilian doesn't automatically make you better than English players. Germany and Brazil aren't perfect sides, they're far better than England yes, but England are much better than Poland, and lewandowski would still get into England's side.

do you mean other than 5 years of playing champions league including 1 final, 2 league titles with dortmund, part of the german U21 winning team, and part of the team that got to the semi's of the last euros?

I think Rooneys resume over the past give years would look better than this, but it's silly to suggest he would play according to you...

you've taken what i said about schmelzer vs baines out of context by bringing in rooney, the original question was why is baines a better player than schmelzer based on schmelzer being more experienced and playing / performing at a higher level, because in my mind theres absolutely nothing to suggest baines is a better player

im not suggesting that being born in those countries does make you a better footballer, i am suggesting that english players seem to have huge mental problems when in comes to playing for england, especially in tournaments, be it the lazy tag that they dont get paid so dont care, personally i dont think they dont care about playing for england i just think they get told from a young age that they are world beaters and could play for anyone when in reality they cant, i think its damaging to the national team when you have discussions about baines good enough to play for germany and sturridge for brazil, neither of them are guaranteed starters for us! forget what they are doing for everton and liverpool and rooney with utd, i think a few need to start performing at the highest level for england before you cant start saying they are good enough for everyone else, because based on the last 3 games some of them aren't playing good enough for us

Did anybody hear on Saturday Jeff Stelling say Adam Lallana would walk into any national team in the world.

I like Lallana he is a good player but come on

He could get into 90% of national teams in the world.

He is nearly 26 and has 3 caps for England less premier league experience than Grant Holt and no European experience. would he even get into that many teams. He needs to play at a much higher level before statements like that can be made

He is nearly 26 and has 3 caps for England less premier league experience than Grant Holt and no European experience. would he even get into that many teams. He needs to play at a much higher level before statements like that can be made

Whilst you state a couple of facts there, bare in mind England are better than 90% of international teams. At least. Lallana, despite his lack of experience is one of our better players and for me deserves his starting place. So the logic is right.

Stelling is exaggerating, clearly. But I'd fancy him to be in most squads bar the top 4/5. He's really good.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

So that's Sturridge, Baines and lallana...

By the time the World Cup starts cleverley will be good enough for Spain

That's a ridiculous leap of imagination. Aside from which, nobody on here has said that Lallana is good enough for a proper top side.

I reckon he'd get a game for France, for example. Possibly Italy. Not Spain, or Germany, or Brazil, or Argentina, or Holland. Or even Belgium. If you don't think England are in the top 10% of international sides then I guess there's no debate to be had.

Our central midfield is very weak and our central defenders aren't much cop at world level either. Basically, our spine can't support the little talent we do have. That doesn't mean we don't have some good players.

Same again, what has lallana done to suggest he can get a game for these countries?

A good year for Southampton and 3 England caps...

But we aren't overrating these guys at all!

Your reply to zatman made sense, of course England are in the top 10% with that being 20 teams, but why don't we wait for players like lallana to do something for us before suggesting he's good enough for everyone else

I'd say England are in fact in the top 5%.

Why do we have to wait for him to do something for England?

Lewandowski hasn't done anything for Poland but he'd get in the Germany team.

Same age as lallana and has 57 more caps and is moving to the European champions, yeah done nothing that lewandowski...

He doesn't start for England but he's good enough to start for teams that are better than us, I'm struggling to understand it! He's a good prem player in good form why are people hyping him up? We do it all the time in the build up to tournaments

And we're not in the top 10 teams in the world at all

you're building yourself up for a disappointing summer!

So you think hoping for the last 16 is setting yourself up do a disappointing summer. It would be disappointing if England didn't make it out of their group.

If they make the quarters, that should be seen as a good result.

As for the Lallana question, am I not allowed to think a player is better than Roy Hodgeson does? The amount of caps he has is irrelevant. It's a bit like saying Danny Wellbeck is better than Benteke because he plays for Man United.

I've no issue with being down on England. As I said, the spine is of average quality at best. Good support players, good enough to make us a top 15 side. I don't think that's over egging us at all?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

FWIW i think we'll lose the first 2 games and then due to already being out and having nothing to play for draw vs costa rica

it all hinges on the 1st game, if we win it and get the confidence going for the 2nd game then we'll be ok, but i think roy will play for a draw and we will be unimpressive in a low scoring but thoroughly outplayed defeat, which instead puts us under pressure for the uruguay game, which in my mind with their aging defence if we try and attack them we can beat them, they still play lugano who might be one of the worst CBs ive ever seen in the prem, but again i think we'll be tentative and lose that, we need to play to our strengths rather than sit back and let them play to theirs (cavani and suarez) costa rica on paper we should beat 3/4-0 but i think at that stage if we're done and dusted then we wont perform in that game either

if we do get through then i think we'll play either ivory coast or Colombia, and i honestly dont have a clue how that game would go

so in short... i think its a confidence thing, if we hit the ground running then i agree we could reach the quarters, and also agree that would be a good tournament IMO we are somewhere between 10th - 15th in the world, BUT instead i think it will be a mixture of roy playing boring stone age tactics and the "stars" of our team going missing which results in an embarrassment 

id like to see lallana and chamberlain given a go, cut them loose and let them run at people, wont happen though

the best result for england this summer would be the one that saw hodgson sacked and the likes of gerrard retire

he plays horrible stone age tactics, he's too conservative, both in terms of how we play and who he picks, think we've regressed as a country, not quite sure what our brand of football is anymore, we dont try and play a pace and strength premier league style and we dont play a continental keep the ball pass and move style either

think england are a lot like villa, often look clueless with the ball, can pass sideways and backwards all day long but lack a cutting edge up front

but whereas with villa i think its because the quality isnt there with england i think its because they are stifled by poor tactics and squad selection, roys favourite line up seems to be welbeck on the left rooney in the middle walcott on the right, theo plays as a winger, gets to the line looks to cross, rooney and welbeck are playing free roles and are usually pissing about on the half way line... theres no balance up front, will be the same in the summer, when it will be welbeck, rooney and sturridge, all 3 of them flaoting round everywhere and as a result we'll all be on here saying sturridge should be stuck in the middle (like we were vs denmark) i also think hodgson is happy to grind results, like i said in this thread during the game, friendly at home vs a very poor denmark team, 5 minutes left he took off a striker and brought on a midfielder to protect a 1-0 lead, that to me sums him up

Â