Germany

StefanAVFC

Hire a car and just drive your way

For our road trip we flew into Munich from Moscow had a day and night in Munich ( Allianz stadium , great walking tour of Munich )and then headed down to berchtsgarden ( eagles near) and and then carried on down to Neuschwanstein... Oompah bands ,pork knuckle and steins of beer ... You can't get more German than that without invading Poland

After that we headed North stopping off at Colditz and Bayreuth ( home of Wagner and Liszt also lived there )and had a wild night in Zwickau ( home of the trabant ) where we walked out of a bar at 2 am just as drive by shooting took place ... Good excuse to turn around and go back in the bar !!

From there onto Leipzig ( home of Bach) and then we did Sealand Heights( Germany's last stand ) before finishing off in Berlin ( great place has everything culture and beer )

Think we did that in around 6 days

Loved all of it , great beer , great good , loads of interesting history stuff and some great scenery as well

Other than picking up the car in Munich and dropping it back in Berlin on fixed dates the rest of it we just sorta made up on the fly with a map and a vague idea of what sounded appealing ... We always found somewhere to stay without any problem from b & b's to hotels and hostels

you can do Hamburg and the North but Bavaria is the place to go IMO

I'm on a budget :P

Looking to stay in 1 place (maybe 2 at a push). Which from all of the places you've been to would you recommend for that sort of thing? I want beer, girls, sausage and a bit of culture.

I'd like to do a proper trip to Germany but maybe in a few years when I'm pulling in a bit of money.

Hamburg but you'll pay for the girls :)

Berlin probably has the most to see and do if you want to stay put and it does have a decent night life scene.

But Munich would be my choice if I had to pick 1 ...

What about Dusseldorf/Frankfurt?

Thanks by the way. Useful tips :)

Dusseldorf I wasn't blown away with ... The old town and the promenade area are cool though

I've not been to Frankfurt ( other than a connecting flight ) but I think it's another one that goes in the dull category based on comments from ex work colleagues that used to go there

If you go to Berlin, make sure you stay central because it's a biiiiiiiiiiig place and can be a ballache to get around if you're a bit far out. Wouldn't really ever suggest staying in one place 4/5 days especially if you're doing it on your own. Prague is only 4/5 hours away on the train so that could be an option if you don't wanna stick to one place/Germany

Edited by Milfner

You want proper Germany over Easter?  Go to Nuremberg.

The Volksfest is on so you'll have proper beer tents, oompah bands and bratwurst.  And it's adjacent to the former Nazi party rally grounds so it's steeped in history too - http://www.volksfest-nuernberg.de/

If you want more bratwurst, then Bratwurst Röslein is the biggest bratwurst restaurant in the world - http://www.bratwurst-roeslein.de/

That's just a couple of bits.  In all it's a beautiful, proper German city...

nuernberg1.jpg

• Like 2

You want proper Germany over Easter?  Go to Nuremberg.

The Volksfest is on so you'll have proper beer tents, oompah bands and bratwurst.  And it's adjacent to the former Nazi party rally grounds so it's steeped in history too - http://www.volksfest-nuernberg.de/

If you want more bratwurst, then Bratwurst Röslein is the biggest bratwurst restaurant in the world - http://www.bratwurst-roeslein.de/

That's just a couple of bits.  In all it's a beautiful, proper German city...

nuernberg1.jpg

Went there as part of my road trip ..how could I have forgotten  it :blush:

the Zep fields and the nearby war trials museum were really interesting

Edited by tonyh29

Go to Köln! Great mix of culture and nightlife. Düsseldorf is alright for a night out in the altstadt but that aside I wouldn't recommend it. You could head up to Dortmund too and go to a BVB game.

Cheap flights to Nordrhein Westfalen... Ryanair into Ddorf Weeze and easy jet into Dortmund.

Munich is also definitely worth a visit, and obviously Berlin. Never been to Hamburg but some friends lived there and loved it.

• Like 1

I've been to Germany a few times and I also echo the view that Munich is the place to go; there is so much to do, amazing history, friendly people, nice restaurants and of course many excellant bierkeller to visit (if you like beer of course).

I absolutely loved Munich. So much to see like the Chineseturm beer gardens, 1972 Olympic park which is still there, Allianz Arena, BMW factory, Gauting, Frankfurter ring etc. Truly great city with very friendly people.

I really liked Munich but I just couldn't recommend it over Berlin. Munich is ridiculously expensive especially the beer, a limited choice of restaurants and you can see everything worth seeing in a day. It is a beautiful city though.

Berlin is surprisingly super cheap for accommodation, the food and beer is much cheaper then Munich, lots of restaurants and of course has lots of things to see and do, especially the museums. Even then 3 nights in berlin is enough.

• Like 1

Another vote for Berlin - about 10 years ago I spent about 4 months inter railing around Europe.

Berlin was best city for me. Literally has it all, amazing place.

Munich good too but not same level.

Frankfurt is crap, may as well go to Canary Wharf very dull place.

Didn't do Hamburg but heard a lot of good things

Been to loads of German cities and towns - probably had over 100 visits mainly with work but had a lot of social time there

Berlin easily the best city - BUT do your homework and know where to go

Munich great place - BUT as others have said very expensive - call the locals German's just to wind them up - VE ARE BAVARIANS !!!

Hamburg - Big place with lots of little towns is how I would describe it. Has a good "edge" around St Pauli

Koln - English equivalent would be Manchester IMO

Nuremberg - I like

Hannover - have got good mates there so always a good time. Avoid when there are large shows on like CeBIT

Frankfurt - Old town is really only Saxenhausen - lots of business

Stuttgart - Great centre - but they speak funny - the German Geordies

Dusseldorf - Small place with a very convenient airport is how I remember it

Mainz - great little town and close to F'Furt airport (not the Ryan Air one !)

Lots of little towns like Bielefeld, Sindelfingen and many many others

Bottom line is Germany is a great place with some great people. They like beer, they like football. Their sense of humour is wierd - go to a comedy show in Berlin and see what I mean. Generally its a safe place and reasonably easy to get around.

• Like 1

Â