Michael Laudrup leaves Swansea.

Avfc96

Michael Laudrup has been sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26042067

Swansea City have sacked boss Michael Laudrup and put club captain Garry Monk in charge for Saturday's clash with arch-rivals Cardiff City.

The news came a day after chairman Huw Jenkins dismissed rumours that they had discussed Laudrup's future.

"It is a decision we have taken reluctantly," Jenkins told the club's website.

"But it's a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City football club and our supporters."

Rumours had been circulating about Laudrup's future since the Swanslost 2-0 at West Ham on Saturday.

It was their sixth defeat in eight Premier League games, leaving them only two points off the relegation places.

Monk had been tipped to join the club's back-rooms staff, but instead now finds himself in the role of head coach "for the foreseeable future".

Swansea attacking legend Alan Curtis, already part of the coaching set-up at Liberty Stadium, will assist Monk ahead as they seek revenge over the Bluebirds for their 1-0 Premier League defeat at Cardiff City Stadium in November.

Jenkins added: "It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael's long-term future with us.

"I had a meeting with Michael today in a final attempt to support him and establish a way to improve the work of the backroom team to secure the results we need over the final 14 Premier League games.

"However, after thinking long and hard about the best way forward, I felt it was unlikely we would achieve a stable environment at the club to allow us to get back to basics and produce the performance levels that have served Swansea City so well over the last few years.

"Now we need to put that uncertainty behind us and move forward as a united football club on all fronts, while placing on record our gratitude to Michael for the work he has done over the last 18 months and wish him well for the future.

"I hope all our supporters can fully understand how difficult this period has been for us and I would urge everyone connected to the football club to get behind Garry Monk, the staff and players.''

The club will be making no further comment at this stage, but will endeavour to keep our supporters updated with any future development."

Edited by Avfc96

Breaking news all over the place, Swansea have sacked Michael Laudrup.

May seem a little harsh, but they were my outside bet for relegation with the form they've been in.  Not sure who they'll bring in to replace him though.  They've got a good record of managers who place nice football, with Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez as his predecessors.

Another victim of the merry-go-round!

I'm sure the report on the radio this morning was along the lines of "chairman says his job is safe"

Looks like Swansea have remembered they are championship side punching about their weight and want to get to where they feel comfortable....

No surprise to me, thought it would happen in the summer though. Some of their signings have been weird recently, don't think it was Laudrup doing them as he likes to sign cheap La Liga players.

Good manager, top 10 and a cup win last season wasn't it? Be interested where he pops up next.

Gary monk was only promoted to the coaching staff this morning

Laudrup was also linked with the real Madrid & Barcelona posts last year

Edited by Jimzk5

Agree, he's unlucky. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the other managers who are teetering feel a little uncomfortable with Laudrup available now. Europa League has killed them as it always does...

Their horrible run has come at a time with no europa league.

Â