Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

maqroll

Congrats Jenny

On the commentary on your event the commentators said you might go for the 'something 9' on the final jump.

As a matter of interest why did you choose not to go for the something 9? Would it have won the gold? Is it a risky move?

Apologies for the novicesque questions RE the event

The 900..yes well basically i made a choice. I was 100% i could land the 720 with no problems perfectly and force the judges to have to find fault.

The 900...i land about 80% of the time. If i had landed it perfectly,,,i might have got gold..but the risk was too great of going down and getting nothing. I dont regret the choice..plus i pressured the other girls who follwed me..it just happens the Enni and Jamie coped well and didnt screw up.

And that choice was vindicated. It was clear (from here) that clean execution was more important than way out attempts. Your final run was almost a replay of one of your earlier runs but with no errors whatsoever. Aimee Fuller went with the gung ho attitude and it didn't do her much good. Being pragmatic this time around got you a medal where, as you say, attempting something you weren't 100% comfortable with may not have. Perfectly judged.

Watched the ladies curling this morning and I am puzzled.

The last end the GB ladies could have dropped the stone in scored 2 point and drawn the game (although I think they play an extra end) but instead went for massive blast that meant the moved one of Canada stones to the winning position so we lost by 3 points.............................

The last end the GB ladies could have dropped the stone in scored 2 point and drawn the game (although I think they play an extra end) but instead went for massive blast that meant the moved one of Canada stones to the winning position so we lost by 3 points.............................

1346209414735.gif

BBC

Confused as to why Muirhead went for that shot? You're not alone. To reiterate, Muirhead simply had to slide her final stone near the unguarded centre for two points but, with a third GB stone in play, moving the three Canadian stones at the top-left of the scoring area would have given Britain victory. She failed, and tasted defeat for the second time in three matches.

You're not alone

Watched a bit of the BBC coverage last night and they had Katie Summerhayes and her family on.

These athletes who take a huge gamble that sport is what they want to do and will base their life around achieving their goals should always be admired no matter how successful or otherwise they end up being, but last night made me think what would I do as a parent if my son or daughter came and said they wanted to do skiing or snowboarding. The nearest centre would either be Gloucester or Tamworth and neither are a million miles away but then presumably going once a week wouldnt hack it so immediately you are looking at costs which you wouldnt have budgeted for. My son is 14 so you would have to factor in homework etc as you would still want them to have that as a priority. The parents you would assume have to make sacrifices both financial and socially so that their children get to have a good go at it. As a parent I have to admire them for that.

• Like 1