Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

PLAN .. ETC..

i would say under the current manager & owner this is the weakest position ..heres why

AVFC,UNDER DOUG/DOL MANAGER

1 SORENSON

2 DELANEY

3SAMUEL

4 MELLBERG

5 LAURSEN

6 BARRY

7 HENDRIE

8 MCCANN

9 ANGEL

10 BAROS

11 MILNER (LOAN)

16 BOUMA

17 WHITTINGHAM

18 HUGHES

19 RIDGEWELL

20 PHILLIPS

21 CAHILL

26 GARDNER

30 GABBY

IS THIS SQUAD BETTER THAN THE ONE TODAY???

I don't think anyone would say it isn't. But the point is the wages those were paid was 3 times as much as the current squad. That unfortunately had to happen.

however the money is greater from tv 2013 to 2005,but this squad was funded by doug lets not forget,their a few diamonds in that squad,doug sold avfc to RL 20m light as doug wanted 20m invested in the team. it would be interesting to see how much the wage bill was then to now

What are you on?

Ellis never invested a penny in AVFC, never "funded" any players and definitely didn't sell the club for £20m less than he could have got. It never ceases to amaze me that some fans still think Ellis put any of his own money into Villa!

• Like 1

True though eh. He was **** terrible, they all were.

O'Neill worked miracles to get that rabble to finish mid table the following season. If you really want to know who I'd want in short term should Lambert not turn this around it would be him.

Not that it's realistic of course.

The same MON who was on course to relegate Sunderland you mean?

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

In the interest of fairness, Ellis vs Lerner...

2008-09 Squad List

1) Brad Friedel

3) Wilfred Bouma

4) Steve Sidwell

5) Martin Laursen

6) Gareth Barry

7) Ashley Young

8 ) James Milner

9) Marlon Harewood

10) John Carew

11) Gabriel Agbonlahor

13) Stuart Taylor

14) Nathan Delfouneso

15) Curtis Davies

16) Zat Knight

17) Moustapha Salifou

18) Wayne Routledge

19) Stiliyan Petrov

20) Nigel Reo-Coker

22) Brad Guzan

26) Craig Gardner

27) Isaiah Osbourne

28) Shaun Maloney

29) Stephen O'Halloran

Judging by the forums and Twitter, I'd say it is about 50/50 now between those wanting him in and out.

I disagree.

Against Swansea, around the 60th minute, some fans started to boo. Within seconds of that, a huge chant of 'Villa, Villa, Villa' drowned them out. 5-10 minutes later it happened again. A backpass to the keeper (or something equally irrelevant but somehow disgraceful) caused more boos, and again the Holte roared in their support, to cover the boos again.

That was my biggest indication, to date, that Lambert still has the majority on his side.

We were chanting, not to spur the players on, but to cover the boos and stop any loss of confidence that it could have caused to the team.

On behalf of all the fans that can't make the games but would do the same; bravo and keep it up lads!

Judging by the forums and Twitter, I'd say it is about 50/50 now between those wanting him in and out.

I disagree.

Against Swansea, around the 60th minute, some fans started to boo. Within seconds of that, a huge chant of 'Villa, Villa, Villa' drowned them out. 5-10 minutes later it happened again. A backpass to the keeper (or something equally irrelevant but somehow disgraceful) caused more boos, and again the Holte roared in their support, to cover the boos again.

That was my biggest indication, to date, that Lambert still has the majority on his side.

We were chanting, not to spur the players on, but to cover the boos and stop any loss of confidence that it could have caused to the team.

On behalf of all the fans that can't make the games but would do the same; bravo and keep it up lads!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

O'Neill worked miracles to get that rabble to finish mid table the following season. If you really want to know who I'd want in short term should Lambert not turn this around it would be him.

Aye. Managers aren't always perfect. Form is temporary and that.

What O'Neill can do is organise and motivate a team. I'd never let him anywhere near our finances again, that was farcical towards the end. But the things he is good at are the things we need to employ in order to survive.

I think there's a difference between in-game behaviour and opinion on an ongoing basis - I like that the support has got behind the team in the main during the last couple of games, the booing and other stuff has largely been left to the final whistle. I think that's how it should be, I think that's good support.

I'm not sure it's the best way to grade how much of the support the manager has. Personally, I'd stick with him.

• Like 3

Aye. Managers aren't always perfect. Form is temporary and that.

What O'Neill can do is organise and motivate a team. I'd never let him anywhere near our finances again, that was farcical towards the end. But the things he is good at are the things we need to employ in order to survive.

And he could in his earlier years do a very good impression of author Jeanette Winterson

jeanettewintersonmartin.jpg

Possibly the most obscure reference ever! You must have been holding on to that one for ages, waiting for someone to "defend" O'Neill (an understandable rare thing these days).

or reading articles on MON recently

In the interest of fairness, Ellis vs Lerner...

2008-09 Squad List

1) Brad Friedel

3) Wilfred Bouma

4) Steve Sidwell

5) Martin Laursen

6) Gareth Barry

7) Ashley Young

8 ) James Milner

9) Marlon Harewood

10) John Carew

11) Gabriel Agbonlahor

13) Stuart Taylor

14) Nathan Delfouneso

15) Curtis Davies

16) Zat Knight

17) Moustapha Salifou

18) Wayne Routledge

19) Stiliyan Petrov

20) Nigel Reo-Coker

22) Brad Guzan

26) Craig Gardner

27) Isaiah Osbourne

28) Shaun Maloney

29) Stephen O'Halloran

shocking how poor we are now compared to back then

M

I think that says it all. /Close thread.

Thanks for the original post HH and it's very interesting to see what the plan at the club is. Obviously as fans kneejerk reactions are our bread and butter but I do think that the club is sailing a bit too close to the wind regarding getting the finances in order. Zog, Bent, Ireland, Given etc. need to be disposed of but waiting to fully rebuild the team before they are all gone is a dangerous game. It's great that the likes of benteke is on comparatively small wages and that the days for beye and hutton are in our past but it's important the club demonstrates some kind of ambition. Just being content to tread water and stay in the division will end in disaster. Hopefully this summer we will see a clearout and then a move towards signing quality players rather than just cheap squad fillers.

I think fans covering boos during the game is more to do with the fact we need points and need to get behind the team during the game.

I would imagine that a good portion of those that covered up boos joined in at the end of the game.

Being as the majority of the boos emanate from the Holte*, I think that is a fair observation.

Another observation. When we have possession and it gets moved around midfield until finally Baker sends it 40 yards back to Guzan, does the sound of 35000 people groaning in unison sound like booing?

*I acknowledge that the majority of the positive noise comes from the Holte.