Weekends football 14/15 December

andykeenan

Taking this slightly off topic, which leagues generally have large numbers of away fans?  It seems normal here and in Scotland, but where else has it?  I know it doesn't really exist in Spain or Italy but what about other leagues?  I'd presume they do in Germany but I have no actual evidence. 

Netherlands away fans travel in big number, I think alot of it has to do with the size of the country.

I think every club is guaranteed a set amount of matches per season on Sky and this is a case of getting two of the shit ones out of the way in one go.

Villa had a massive away following when they were in the third division between 70 and 72. So guess that is when it started for us. For instance there were 35000 at Meadow lane in 7/72 season. Probably 20000 villa fans there!

When did following your team away become something that was normal as such, I can't imagine it being the done thing until the 60s/70s?

Yeah it's obviously something new then  :D

Taking this slightly off topic, which leagues generally have large numbers of away fans?  It seems normal here and in Scotland, but where else has it?  I know it doesn't really exist in Spain or Italy but what about other leagues?  I'd presume they do in Germany but I have no actual evidence. 

Netherlands away fans travel in big number, I think alot of it has to do with the size of the country.

I've got a mate (well, an internet friend) who lives in Utrecht and has a season ticket there who used to tell me about how difficult it was to be an away fan in the Netherlands.  It's nothing like it is here in England. Over there all tickets are sold on the condition that you travel with the club too and that basically means you get marched from the coach to the stadium shortly before kick off and marched back again at full time. The concept of an "away day" like we know it doesn't really exist even if people do follow their team around the country. 

That stands to reason though.  New York to London isn't much further than New York to LA, and while not every game stateside involves a transcontinental trip the distances between cities are still huge. I think the term "local" over there means less than 250 miles. :lol: 

• Like 1

True but aren't internal flights quite cheap ?

No. A return flight from NY to LA would be at least $500. You would have to be fecking loaded to be doing that to watch a football match. I live in Toronto and go to the occasional Toronto FC match and the only match I can remember any significant amount of away fans was against Montreal. That would be the closest team and that is about 550km. There was maybe 100-150 of them in the corner. It simply isn't possible to be an away fan in North America. To go to an away match would require saving and a big thing like for an English fan going to an away match in the CL.

No. A return flight from NY to LA would be at least $500. You would have to be fecking loaded to be doing that to watch a football match. I live in Toronto and go to the occasional Toronto FC match and the only match I can remember any significant amount of away fans was against Montreal. That would be the closest team and that is about 550km. There was maybe 100-150 of them in the corner. It simply isn't possible to be an away fan in North America. To go to an away match would require saving and a big thing like for an English fan going to an away match in the CL.
That's the extreme though, how about say NY to Chicago ? $100 ??

That's the extreme though, how about say NY to Chicago ? $100 ??

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flight+&oq=flight+&aqs=chrome..69i57.1394j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=119&espv=210&q=flight+new+york+to+chicago

Â