Weekend football 22/24 November

andykeenan

Still, its a point better than Man City got at Cardiff. I think it could be record low pts total to win the league this year.

If Arsenal continue at their current rate they will end up with 88/89 pts. United won it with 75 in 96/7. 

Still, its a point better than Man City got at Cardiff. I think it could be record low pts total to win the league this year.

Compared to when?  When people say stuff like that they never seem to back it up with any kind of argument.   Below is a list of all the points tallies the champions have got since 1995/96 when the league was cut to 20 teams and 38 games.  In brackets is the tally actually needed to win the title based on how many points the runners up managed to collect. 

1995/96 - 82 (79)

1996/97 - 75 (69)

1997/98 - 78 (78)

1998/99 - 79 (79)

1999/00 - 91 (74)

2000/01 - 80 (71)

2001/02 - 87 (81)

2002/03 - 83 (79)

2003/04 - 90 (80)

2004/05 - 95 (84)

2005/06 - 91 (84)

2006/07 - 89 (84)

2007/08 - 87 (86)

2008/09 - 90 (87)

2009/10 - 86 (86)

2010/11 - 80 (72)

2011/12 - 89 (89)

2012/13 - 89 (79)

Arsenal are currently on for 89 points this season if they continue to collect points at the rate they have managed to do so so far.  That's actually enough to win the league in every premier league season except for the one where Manchester City beat Manchester United on goal difference (2011/12) where 89 points was the tally both first and second got.  Beating 80 points is normally a good barometer for being in with a shout of the title. I think two or three teams will manage 80+ points this season. The record low is 75 points. Are you willing to bet £100 to a charity of VillaTalk's  choice if 74 points or less is enough to win the Premier League this season? 

• Like 1

You only needed 69 to win the league, the runners up ended with 68.  One of the main reasons is football was you know, fairer back then. Yeah the richest teams still finished at the top of the table but the financial gap between the haves and the have nots was much smaller so everybody had a fairer crack at attracting players and rules were in place like only being able to name three players on the bench and not being able to loan players out to other clubs in the same division meant that players really had to think about whether they wanted to join a club they were not going to be first choice at because they couldn't get token 20 minute run outs when their team is 3-0 up at home to Norwich or the occasional start if their club had a tricky away tie in the Champions League (because there were fewer clubs in the Champions League) whereas now the best players are happy just to sit on the bench at United, City or Chelsea because they cant earn anywhere near the kind of money they get at those clubs elsewhere. 

The new TV deal might see things trend down again because now our mid table clubs can buy the players from Spain that Real Madrid and Barcelona don't want because the money over here is so much better than it is in Spain outside of the big two but that's just papering over the cracks of the mess that is club football in the 21st century. Richer teams will continue to shit on poorer ones until poorer ones cannot attract supporters or sponsorship any more.  In twenty years time you might be hard pushed to find anybody who gets into football as a new fan to support somebody who isn't one of the five or six clubs at the very top of the game. 

• Like 3

This league reminds me of 10/11 when Man. United won the title with 77 points at Blackburn and think Chelsea finished 2nd with 69 points.

SHA of course went down on 39 points aswell as Blackpool.

Arsenal will drop more points as the season progresses but so will everyone else. I can't see anyone getting above 85 points this season.

I would compare it to when the premier league started (as that is when football was invented apparently) and yeah the title could be 96/97 levels. Certainly it could be less than 80 points, and yes I realise that it has only been 3 pts for a win for the last 30 years. Thank Jimmy Hill for that.

You can only go back to 95/96 really.  Before that it was a 42 game season and before 1981/82 it was two points for a win.  I believe Villa were the last team to win the league when it was two points for a win. Checking the table we would have finished 7 points clear of Ipswich had it been three points for a win instead of just 4 points. 

• Like 1

Maybe but City haven't played the big teams away from home yet and they will drop points. Think Arsenal will win it myself. Their form over the last year has been better than any other team.

City have played Cardiff, Stoke, Villa, West Ham and Sunderland away and they have won 1 and lost 3 of those. That's about the easiest away fixture list you could have. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and even Southampton will take be much tougher.

Edited by PaulC

I think Chelsea will take the title personally. One of the Manc clubs is in very real danger of missing out of the CL though, Arsenal and Liverpool look consistant enough to make it and that only leaves 1 space.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â