The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

The only other thing I can think of are lances for jousting. The tip of a lance will catch in chain mail taking you off your horse and giving you a bad day. Plate its more likely to bounce off/displace the impact. 

Could be crossbow. Good shout!

The Crossbow changed the game didn't it? Wasn't there a story that a certain army didn't use crossbows as it was too unfair? :)

dunno, i thought crossbows had been about for a while but only became common in europe in medieval times, thought the main benefit was they could be used by people who didnt have to have the extensive training that archers had to go through 

also not sure what came 1st, the siege weapon or the little one

dunno, i thought crossbows had been about for a while but only became common in europe in medieval times, thought the main benefit was they could be used by people who didnt have to have the extensive training that archers had to go through 

also not sure what came 1st, the siege weapon or the little one

Yes - agree that little or no training was required to use a cross bow - where as an archer took 10+ years of almost daily training to fully draw a 6ft longbow. 

The Romans used the "Scorpion" which was basically a **** off big crossbow. 

Apparently for many of these crossbows, the arrows were what did it. They'd make them with iron bolts at the tips instead of piercing heads. The force of the crossbow and the blunt force of the bolt heads would shatter ribs, thus the switch to plate.

• 4 weeks later...
Â