Which academy player is next to break into the first team?

Avflife

After watching the Under 21's 4-2 defeat last night to Arsenal, plus a unplanned nap that I have just awoken from, it got me thinking who out of the current crop of reserve players is next to break through to the Aston Villa first team? Personally I highlighted four, two who played last night and two who didn't, due to international commitments.

Mikey Drennan, last season's joint NextGen Series top scorer (despite not playing in the semi-final or final through injury) scored on his return from a nine month injury lay-off last night. The Irish striker, already capped by Ireland at Under 19 level, could be soon scoring goals for fun at first team level.

Janoi Donacien, touted as being Villa's forth centre back option before Jores Okore was signed looks a very promising talent, mainly due to this athleticism and pace.

Callum Robinson, the most likely out of the four, made the bench as an unused substitute for the game against Cardiff last weekend. The striker scored a hat-trick in the 6-2 win against Newcastle Under 21's that earn him his place on the bench against Cardiff.

Jack Grealish who is currently out on loan at Notts County has proven already at a such a young age (18) that he could be the next big thing. Impressive in appearances for the Under 21s and during Villa's pre-season, scoring in the 5-0 victory against Walsall, but has so far struggled with the step-up to League One football.

So who does everyone think will be the next name from the renowned Aston Villa academy to break into the first team picture??

Edited by Avflife

I'd like to see Daniel Johnson succeed. From what I've seen, he seems to be a genuine, hard working and intelligent player who passes the ball well.

He may need to get a bit stronger both mentally and physically and has seemed to be trying to rush things a little. Understandably he's eager to impress and is inexperienced so those may be the reasons for these things but I believe he seems to have an attitude where he's willing to learn.

...Plus, he has dredz :)

• Like 2

It's a tricky one because as of yet we have not seen lambert give the youth players much of a run out. Be nice for some to be getting some 10 minute cameo appearances.

I haven't seen much of the youth games but donacien looks very athletic and could do well.

Its all very tricky

The manager needs points and very few folk have empathy/sympathy when he don't get them....so when needs must he plays the system and players he thinks he can trust to give him the best odds of getting them...when HE feels he is getting safer, he can try things.

I have a split view on young players...they do need first team games to see if they can really LIVE in the premier league and there really is only one place to learn. I equally share the view, they should be "smashing it" or "ripping it up" where they are currently playing and giving the manager basically no decision to make, just the one where he says to himself " I just have to play this boy"

sorry to go back in time but the likes of Gary Shaw,Brian Little, dare I say it "Trevor Francis" did exactly that, so did Michael Owen and steven Gerrard..Its all very well saying give them a chance, They have to EARN it too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Im hoping Robinson to get his chance soon ..

Also I think trying Currethers abd Grealish when they come back would be nice ..

Those three I think with donaicon ..

Ive seen dribbles from Robinson against Spurs which ee wont ever seen it from Weimann or even Gabby ..

Well the Fonz use to have good dribbles too .. so its not a guarantee .. But its encouraging ..

I think Grealish might have a chance at playing some football for us towards the end of the season if we are mid table and have nothing to play for. Would also like to see Johnson to be given a go at some point in the near future.

Â