Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Stan played more defensive for us I think we need to be looking for an attacking midfield one but atleast stan s quality

I think he played quite far up the pitch in his Celtic days and even in his last season with us though. He was a great all-round midfielder. A midfield of Delph, Westwood and a player like Petrov would be pretty damn good I think.

According to the tweet we want to finally replace Petrov - will be about time as well. He was brilliant even in his later years.

Isn't Westwood supposed to be his replacement?

I've never really seen Westwood as that sort of player.

Edited by Mantis

According to the tweet we want to finally replace Petrov - will be about time as well. He was brilliant even in his later years.

Isn't Westwood supposed to be his replacement?

He isn't fit to lace Petrov's boots.

I didn't think Petrov was that good really up until the Houllier season but obviously much better then Westwood still.

My point though is that Westwood pretty much has a similar role to Petrov in the team. He isn't anywhere near as good at it but he still fills it. In fact, Petrov even made the comparisions in that bit for the OS a couple of weeks ago.

If Lambert is looking for a CM, I'd rather he doesn't go for one in the Petrov mode, not needed.

• Like 2

And that's what I'm getting at. If we spend Westwood money, we won't do much better than Westwood. Now I like him and think he's going through a rough patch but we're not going to unearth Bentekes every time, if ever again.

• Like 2

Really? I always rated Petrov. He only looked better in his last two seasons because he didn't have Milner and Barry around him. Those two were always more eye-catching but Petrov did the work behind the scenes in what wasn't really his natural position.

And that's what I'm getting at. If we spend Westwood money, we won't do much better than Westwood. Now I like him and think he's going through a rough patch but we're not going to unearth Bentekes every time, if ever again.

Can't even find more world class players for peanuts. Lambert out.

With the money we are likely to have available I would spend it on Whittingham. He would give us some balance on the left and some good delivery from set pieces.

We have to start getting Benteke in front of goal, with decent crosses put into him. It's not ideal, but doesn't look like we have many options going until the summer.

Four midfielders of Whittingham Delph Westwood Albrighton. It's not going to get us into Europe, but might just keep us in the Premiership which seems to be the plan for now.

• Like 1

I don't think it is beyond us to do that.

we signed Yorke, Platt,Gray many more in other positions....we have signed such a lot of players that was gems. Equally Liverpool Lost Torres and then signed Suarez.

Its called getting your (talent spotting) arse in to gear and go find them. we just seem to fell so sorry for ourselves at times. we lost Gidman and signed Swain.

Players are not indispensible, it just takes a bit of effort and time.

Edited by TRO

Not a chance of getting Dembele.

With a new manager coming in, I don't think you can say that for sure. New manager, new players, new ideas.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be available, just that we couldn't afford him.

I'd agree with that unless it was a loan where we paid a percentage.

No idea about Elia. Which Hunt are you referring to?

Aaron hunt werder Bremen/Germany

Southampton have signed him for the summer haven't they?

I've wanted him since our friendly with Werder last season. Would be a bit odd for Southampton to sign him as I couldn't see their midfield being able to carry both him and Lallana as they are both very attacking minded. 

Â