Midweek football 5-7 November

andykeenan

I think spending £40m on one of the best players in the world kinda helped too. 

The case of Ozil is an odd one. He's a great player, technically fantastic, but IMO he doesn't actually look like the best player in that Arsenal team. It's almost as if Cazorla, Ramsey, Arteta and Rosicky have upped their game due to compete with, and be better than, him.

I kinda agree, but not only does spending the money improve the team by the addition of a fantastic player, it increases the morale of the entire playing staff. It was a huge statement of intent by Arsenal and it wouldn't surprise me if they spend again in January if they are still top the league and serious about competing in Europe.  I just hope it's not Benteke they decide to make an offer for. 

*edit*

Grr at the page break. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

He's better than the likes of Chamakh and Gervinho but not good enough for a title winning side. You need an Agüero or Drogba. They should sign Benzema, this management lark is easy.

Sergio Agüero Manchester City 8
Daniel Sturridge Liverpool 8
Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 6
Loïc Remy Newcastle United 6
Luis Suárez Liverpool 6
Robin van Persie Manchester United 6
Olivier Giroud Arsenal 5
Romelu Lukaku Everton 5
Wayne Rooney Manchester United 5
Yaya Touré Manchester City 5
Christian Benteke Aston Villa 4

Stats! Not a good enough return for a team five points clear.  <_<

Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 6

Luis Suárez Liverpool 6

Olivier Giroud Arsenal 5

Romelu Lukaku Everton 5

Stats! Not a good enough return for a team five points clear.  <_<

Not sure as I agree, Drogba was never that prolific either, and as long as Ramsey continues to chip in with the goals then they have a chance.

teams sit back and cant break them down at home but devastating on the counter attack, maybe we arent far off this Dortmund project as we think

Pretty sure Dortmund would beat Hull away...

Probably sneak a draw at home to Everton as well.

they have theo and podolski coming back, and chamberlain, all 3 should chip in with goals even if they aren't playing upfront, sangogo hasn't had a sniff yet has he?

agree they could do with another one but they need a good 2nd choice one which isn't easy to do, signing benteke / benzema in jan could just as easily upset that team as give it a boost

Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 6

Luis Suárez Liverpool 6

Olivier Giroud Arsenal 5

Romelu Lukaku Everton 5

Stats! Not a good enough return for a team five points clear. <_<

Not sure as I agree, Drogba was never that prolific either, and as long as Ramsey continues to chip in with the goals then they have a chance.

Drogba has two golden boots to be fair, but I take your point. His game was as much about holding the ball up and creating space for others as it was about being the main goalscorer in the Chelsea team. You'd expect 15-20 a season from a player like Drogba and Giroud is probably on for the same. Arsenal's big problem is a lack of cover for Giroud if he gets injured. They probably have the strength in depth to deal with an injury to any of the attacking players in midfield.

Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 6

Luis Suárez Liverpool 6

Olivier Giroud Arsenal 5

Romelu Lukaku Everton 5

Stats! Not a good enough return for a team five points clear. <_<

Drogba has two golden boots to be fair, but I take your point. His game was as much about holding the ball up and creating space for others as it was about being the main goalscorer in the Chelsea team. You'd expect 15-20 a season from a player like Drogba and Giroud is probably on for the same. Arsenal's big problem is a lack of cover for Giroud if he gets injured. They probably have the strength in depth to deal with an injury to any of the attacking players in midfield.

I think the thing that could work in Arsenal's favour is that, Man City apart, none of the title contenders really have a prolific striker on their books. Chelsea and Tottenham have even less firepower upfront than Arsenal, and that's saying something.

Arsenal are scoring from everywhere though. They are the second highest goalscorers in the Premier League, they were top scorers until Man City smashed Norwich 7-0 last week.  You don't need 30 goals from your centre forward if everybody in midfield is capable of double figures. 

Â