The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Is it me, or was some architect out of his face pissed, on an extremely tight time scale, opening the last bottle of beer, looks in his hand and thinks...

"A bottle opener is a beautiful thing, I'm going to build a huge one and call it "The World Financial Centre Building"

I'm a Brum boy, so...

Most loved, probably the Greco-revival architecture of the Town Hall, and the recent interior restoration looks fantastic.

Most hated, the old Central Library of Paradise Circus - a building once described as somewhere that looked like it burnt books by Prince Charles. Thank god we got a new one.

Honorable mention to The Old Joint Stock mentioned above: that and the Wellington are my 'must have a beer at' when I visit my parents.

But of my newly adopted home town....

Most loved: The Bank of England. You want something to look like a 18th Century fort? You've got it.

Most hated: Sorry Chris, Carradale House. I really detest brutalism and Goldfinger :(

Although not my home town, on a trip around Europe I stumbled across the shopping centre in Frankfurt which is very clever, the building has a 'hole' in it that pulls the glass inside the building. Can't put pictures up as tablet is messing around so Google it!

ugly buildings, im sure this is still the 2nd tallest building in the world

1360884503.jpg

horrible IMO

The Masjid al Haram which sits in front of the clock tower is a hell of a building though. You think Old Trafford is big?  The Masjid al Haram has a capacity of 2,000,000.

Baku in Azerbaijan is going to start building the worlds tallest building, surprising that a place as obscure is going to have that accolade. In that same development hundreds of islands will be built in the Caspian Sea and a million more inhabitants will be homed, despite being a fairly poor economy next to Western Europe there's a huge amount of oil wealth to be made there hence why it is being dubbed a new Dubai. A lot of the old town there is absolutely stunningly well kept and pristine, it's a country and region on my to visit list

azerbaijan-tower..jpg

I'm a Brum boy, so...

Most loved, probably the Greco-revival architecture of the Town Hall, and the recent interior restoration looks fantastic.

Most hated, the old Central Library of Paradise Circus - a building once described as somewhere that looked like it burnt books by Prince Charles. Thank god we got a new one.

Honorable mention to The Old Joint Stock mentioned above: that and the Wellington are my 'must have a beer at' when I visit my parents.

But of my newly adopted home town....

Most loved: The Bank of England. You want something to look like a 18th Century fort? You've got it.

Most hated: Sorry Chris, Carradale House. I really detest brutalism and Goldfinger :(

5186891722_f85e910350.jpg

I'm not seeing your problem?

But for those of you that like a bit of romanticism, one from my backyard.

299281-Castle-Coch_view.jpg

4068521461_83b405eefc_z.jpg

personally, I find that a little overpowering, a bit rich.

Â