Ratings and Reactions: Villa 0-2 Everton

limpid

Man of the Match  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the match against Everton?

• Guzan
    • Bacuna
    • Vlaar
    • Baker
    • Luna
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Tonev
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Clark
    • Helenius

Luna - starting to lose patience with this guy, he offers powderpuff defensive cover and sod all going fwd. Bring back Bennett.

What a massive overreaction.

No more an overreaction then all those people that had concluded that Luna was definitely better then Bennett based on pre-season!

Didn't realise how bad that Barkley challenge was. **** over by the refs once again.

Luna - starting to lose patience with this guy, he offers powderpuff defensive cover and sod all going fwd. Bring back Bennett.

No more an overreaction then all those people that had concluded that Luna was definitely better then Bennett based on pre-season!

They were right though to be fair.

Caught the last two thirds on a stream. Not sure of the logic of taking off tonev-looked like he was showing some promise. Weimann had some shocking attempts at goal. It boggles the mind that these lads get paid thousands to play 1-2 games of football per week and this is the tripe they serve up week in, week out. The whole "they spent more money than us" line and the "overreaction" line are really getting boring now aswell. Regardless of showing slight improvement today, we still got beat at home. We should never be satisfied with that just because we created a few chances. Big deal-it should be the expectation that we create at least 3-4 chances every home game.

Caught the last two thirds on a stream. Not sure of the logic of taking off tonev-looked like he was showing some promise. Weimann had some shocking attempts at goal. It boggles the mind that these lads get paid thousands to play 1-2 games of football per week and this is the tripe they serve up week in, week out. The whole "they spent more money than us" line and the "overreaction" line are really getting boring now aswell. Regardless of showing slight improvement today, we still got beat at home. We should never be satisfied with that just because we created a few chances. Big deal-it should be the expectation that we create at least 3-4 chances every home game.

So what should people do instead then? Protest at VP?

Fact is on another day we would've got more out of that. Missed penalty, 3 very clear cut chances missed and a sending off that wasn't.

Didn't realise how bad that Barkley challenge was. **** over by the refs once again.

Not really. How is concluding that after a few games any more irrational then concluding that a certain player is definitely not good enough after a few games? I take it you have no objection to anybody who has already written off Tonev then?

Both goals absolutely identical, barry one of the slowest and immobile midfielders in the league just stands in our box for a good 15 seconds, nobody does anything and then he just nonchalantly passes it to osman who has a simple finish i'm just sat here thinking what the ****?

Subs baffled me, ok clark comes on fair enough so why disrupt baker/vlaar who look fine? Why not just put the slightly faster clark at left back and leave the defense as it is? Why take tonev off when he looks like the only one who might do something? I like lambert and have done since he came in but his subs are **** atrocious 90% of the time.

Not really. How is concluding that after a few games any more irrational then concluding that a certain player is definitely not good enough after a few games? I take it you have no objection to anybody who has already written off Tonev then?

Tonev hasn't featured anywhere near as much as Luna and it's a lot harder to judge someone as not good enough full stop as it is to say one player is better than another player.

Having watched the highlights on MOTD, I think we were a tad unlucky today, on another day could well have got at least  a point. But I understand that people are getting pished off in Villa yet again ruining their weekend. On a side note, how many wins as Martinez got at Villa as the Wigan and now Everton's boss man? It is probably to early to say it but Cardiff at home is looking like a must win. Or at least must not lose. Or must not let  in a goal.

Having watched the highlights on MOTD, I think we were a tad unlucky today, on another day could well have got at least  a point. But I understand that people are getting pished off in Villa yet again ruining their weekend. On a side note, how many wins as Martinez got at Villa as the Wigan and now Everton's boss man? It is probably to early to say it but Cardiff at home is looking like a must win. Or at least must not lose. Or must not let  in a goal.

Not that many. 3 if I recall correctly including today. Not sure if you're just talking about Martinez at VP or Martinez against us home and away.

Edited by Mantis

Not that many. 3 if I recall correctly including today. Not sure if you're just talking about Martinez at VP or Martinez against us home and away.

Martinez sides to Villa, hence the word at. He won last year and that opening day fixture a few yrs back, not sure if I have missed one.

Martinez sides to Villa, hence the word at. He won last year and that opening day fixture a few yrs back, not sure if I have missed one.

Nah, that's it. We've beaten him once at Villa under McLeish and also drew 1 under Houllier/McAllister, both in 2011.

Edited by Mantis

It is incredibly worrying though our home form.

Martinez definitely changed his tactics in the 2nd half and told his team to keep calm and pass it about...in the first half they were 100mph duracell bunnies like us.

They played how Newcastle and Spurs (twice) have played against us this season by just bopping it about and making it all look very very easy. 

I think it's down to how wasteful we are with the ball when we do get it...lack of composure , it goes straight back to the opposition a lot of the time with either Gabby/Weimann giving it away, Tonev attempting to blast the ball into the car park, bouncing off Benteke's bonce onto one of their players or Delph taking on about 3 players before giving it away.

Also when attempting to get the ball back our players today didn't know whether to chase down or sit back. It was all a bit of a mess. 

The thing is last season even with the defeats we could all see what we were trying to do....front foot every game....never it back and just go it.....this season we are caught in between mind sets ....counter attack, all out attack? Our approach seems timid and disjointed. 

Paul is confused so are the players.

We need to start dropping out of form players. Weiman has been awful, gabby has been average he only offers pace but doesn't know how to use it + the worst touch in da prem& westwood and those shit corners...

Guzan

Lowton vlaar baker Luna

Sylla Ahmadi

Bacuna Delph Tonev

Benteke

Tonev hasn't featured anywhere near as much as Luna and it's a lot harder to judge someone as not good enough full stop as it is to say one player is better than another player.

You can conclusively judge one player to be better then another from their showing against inferior opposition in pre-season? Ok then...

For those who say we were rubbish in the second half or in general, here are what some Everton fans think of how we played.

Hate to say it but feel a bit bad for Villa. Numerous times I've seen games where Everton played better than the opposing team for long stretches but weren't able to get a goal.If they keep playing like today they will start moving up the table 

Feel sorry for Villa there, I think they'll clear relegation by a long way this year if they keep playing like that   

We couldn't keep hold of the ball to save our lives and I was getting more and more frustrated watching us. Villa were dominating the play but at the same time they weren't threatening us anywhere near as much as they did in the first half, which was some relief as I may have put my fist through my PC screen if we'd have really been under the cosh. Then Martinez makes a substitution that changed things completely and against the run of play we took the lead through Lukaku.

Extremely harsh on Villa but I don't give a ****. GET IN!!!!

Edited by Keyblade

We weren't rubbish first half, we were the better team. We missed chances and we lost.

Second half, when we conceded, we turned to shit. THAT is annoying.

Most teams that fall behind will take the game to the opposition. We still ponced about as if we were winning.

Â