Counter-attack isn't working

Kingfisher

Would be nice to see us get 60% possession at home. Not because it is everything (although if you have it, they can't score) but because it gives you a chance to knacker the opposition out. That way you can pick them off in the last twenty minutes if you haven't scored already. Just think we are too direct. A shame cos we could see the football taking shape at the end of last season.

• Like 1

It's a turn of phrase.

'Moot' point. Stefan was being clever :-)

Bloody hell! I have never actually seen it written down and always assumed it was 'mute'.

Feel a bit stupid now...

:(

We look most dangerous when we press high up the pitch, and put pressure on the opponent's back four to force a mistake from them. One thing our front three are very good at it capitalizing on mistakes. The problem is that when we commit to playing that way, our ability to defend as a unit suffers a bit. That is something we have improved on this season, the defense (which was our number one complaint last season), but it's improved at the expense of, at least for now, our attacking play.

My belief is that our attacking play will start to improve as the guys gain a little more confidence in their defensive abilities. The next set of fixtures should start to bear this out, I think.

Would be nice to see us get 60% possession at home. Not because it is everything (although if you have it, they can't score) but because it gives you a chance to knacker the opposition out. That way you can pick them off in the last twenty minutes if you haven't scored already. Just think we are too direct. A shame cos we could see the football taking shape at the end of last season.

problem with making a statement like that is some folk will see it as a direct attack on " direct Football" when a balance between the 2 is required, but we rely too much on it and not enough on the expansive game.

We look most dangerous when we press high up the pitch, and put pressure on the opponent's back four to force a mistake from them. One thing our front three are very good at it capitalizing on mistakes. The problem is that when we commit to playing that way, our ability to defend as a unit suffers a bit. That is something we have improved on this season, the defense (which was our number one complaint last season), but it's improved at the expense of, at least for now, our attacking play.

My belief is that our attacking play will start to improve as the guys gain a little more confidence in their defensive abilities. The next set of fixtures should start to bear this out, I think.

its like reversed psychology...but I like you have a point. That's why sylla should be in, to turn defence in to attck

Edited by TRO

This is the nub of the problem as far as I am concerned. This season we have tried to improve our defending, and control of the game,  by stifling teams in midfield, but we haven't got the tactics, or maybe the players, who can move from midfield to attack.

We have a run of matches coming up against sides who will hopefully be less sharp at pouncing on our defensive mistakes, so we should be able to play the high pressing game more effectively. If we can just get Benteke back to full match fitness and back on scoring form, we should be able to pick up a good batch of points against Cardiff, Sunderland and Palace.

Â