World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Made my wife almost faint when I said I have no intention of watching any of the WC games. I am just not interested in any of it, the whole deal of a major football tournament in Qatar is ridiculous.

Might have a passing interest in Argentina and Brazil but depends if any Villa players are in the team 😉

VTID

• Like 1

Qatar World Cup ambassador says homosexuality is 'damage in the mind'

A Qatar World Cup ambassador has told German television broadcaster ZDF that homosexuality was "damage in the mind", as the Gulf state prepares to host the global tournament in less than two weeks.

In an interview filmed in Doha and to be screened later on Tuesday, former Qatari international Khalid Salman addressed the issue of homosexuality, which is illegal in the conservative Muslim country.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatar-world-cup-ambassador-says-homosexuality-is-damage-mind-2022-11-08/

Also goes on to say 

- They have to accept our laws here. Homosexuality is haram. Do you know what haram (forbidden) means?, he says in the segment according to Reuters.

Salman was then asked why homosexuality is banned in Qatar.

- Because it is an injury to the mind, he replies.

Then the interview was interrupted, according to Reuters. An accompanying official immediately stepped in and stopped ZDF from asking more questions.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/LlMbdJ/ambassadorens-utspel-om-homosexualitet-infor-vm-i-qatar-2022

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatar-world-cup-ambassador-says-homosexuality-is-damage-mind-2022-11-08/

Also goes on to say 

- They have to accept our laws here. Homosexuality is haram. Do you know what haram (forbidden) means?, he says in the segment according to Reuters.

Then the interview was interrupted, according to Reuters. An accompanying official immediately stepped in and stopped ZDF from asking more questions.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/LlMbdJ/ambassadorens-utspel-om-homosexualitet-infor-vm-i-qatar-2022

They are trying so hard to give the PR to this. Anyone taking money from this crooked regime shame on them. 

• Like 1

Worth a read

A Message to Everyone Going to Qatar by Tim Sparv | The Players‘ Tribune (theplayerstribune.com)

I have two things I want to tell you.

One is what happens when you, as a player, speak up on Qatar.

The other is what’s at stake at this World Cup, because I don’t think everyone fully understands it. Yes, thousands of lives have been lost. But if we stay silent now, decisions could be made that will lead to even more deaths. And as for the game we love, well, I fear it is nearing a breaking point.

as well as the squires post:

David Squires on … Qatar 2022 and a World Cup whistleblower’s story | Football | The Guardian

David Squires on … Qatar 2022 and a World Cup whistleblower’s story

Our cartoonist on Malcolm Bidali, a Kenyan security guard who was detained after writing about working conditions in Qata

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sne said:

Also goes on to say 

The word removed wants burning 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Arguably without Sarkozy, the Qataris would not have purchased PSG either. 

Yeah he very much pushed for it and made it happen. France & Qatar have tight working relation where France get money and Qatar a way into the right rooms and power thanks to France.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes even Blatter knew Qatar would be an utterly disastrous choice. Mind you he didn't strip it away from them either.

It’s all a little too late for that corrupt, bloated whale. He’s just trying to save what little reputation he has. He’s now become the meme about the terrible person having one good opinion. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s all a little too late for that corrupt, bloated whale. He’s just trying to save what little reputation he has. He’s now become the meme about the terrible person having one good opinion. 

Oh yeah for sure. It was just that Blatter tended to be bribed by Africans and South Americans. Asia was Platini. For the chapter and verse on this sordid history is The Ugly Game by the Sunday Times Insight team. Proper investigative work.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He said it for about 10 years. He didn't want Qatar was Platini

Anyone think we'll see a player pull up their shirt after a goal celebration to reveal an anti Qatar message? Or maybe a pro LQBTQ+ messge. I'd love it if that happened.

Surely they'd be too high profile to get any repercussions. There couldn't be a more standout way to call attention to it.  And Qatar might suffer enough of a corresponding backlash if they tried to clampdown on it that it would make them wish they hadn't bothered bribing half the world to host it.

Can but dream...

Â