Villa and I

6065_Villa

speaking abouts both league and FA Cups

I remember when we beat Man Utd and Leeds in the league cup finals, on both occasions we were the underdogs and we still competed and won.

We were favourites against Leeds I'm pretty sure.

I remember when we beat Man Utd and Leeds in the league cup finals, on both occasions we were the underdogs and we still competed and won.

We were favourites against Leeds I'm pretty sure.

We were certainly the favourites that day. Plus our win over Leeds was as comprehensive as Arsenal's over us.

• Like 1

You just have to accept Villa will never win a trophy again and just have to 'celebrate' coming in the top 10 and win more than 6 at home. That's the best we can hope for. If you can't stomach the hard reality that is modern football, then you will always be fed up watching the Villa. The final was pants but no one though we would beat Liverpool either so take the rough with the smooth.

Then I went to the Chelsea final - and we lost whilst barely breaking a sweat

Then we lost to Man Utd - and there was controversy, but that was as good as our team was ever going to get under Lerner (probably).

I went to the Chelsea cup semi-final where we were also utterly spanked

Then we lost to Bradford in the semi (as well as other humiliating losses after that in earlier stages)

Before the ultimate anti-climax of the Final vs Arsenal, where we played the worst game of football I have ever seen us churn out since the Bradford game.

I really did think I could not come back from this, in might be in my blood to support Villa but every bone of logic in my body tells me I should take up golf or yoga instead.

I don't see anything changing anytime soon, but i'll remain a Villa fan come season kick off, just my level of commitment and willingness to attend matches gets less and less every season under the current clown show.

There needs to be a complete change of football philosophy.....and pressing the opposition should be central to the format.

I don't see it happening and I don't see the spankings going away.....not saying we should be another Wimbledon....but by god we could learn something from them....our game is rotten.

Guy's don't get me wrong, I'll always be Villa. It's just not the same anymore.

What are we looking at right now?, our best player possibly going to the team we beat in the semi-final whose manager will be out if they are not in the top 4 come December. A chairman who wants out, maybe, kind of, possibly who knows. Fans who are that frustrated they have been fighting with each other (and not just at Wembley). A manager whose only managed 50 odd games and a team that can lose to most league one teams on any given day.

In the past we have been through rough spells but I always felt optimism. Going down then coming back up with GT, losing GT to England but singing all day at Everton until he came out to us.

Maybe I've got it wrong and everyone else will go next season with renewed faith but deep down I can't shake the feeling that something drastic needs to happen for us all to wake from our slumber and reclaim our pride and self-belief.

Either it's just me being an old git or others feel the same way?. Either way don't get me wrong I'm Villa till I die.

What are we looking at right now?, our best player possibly going to the team we beat in the semi-final whose manager will be out if they are not in the top 4 come December. A chairman who wants out, maybe, kind of, possibly who knows. Fans who are that frustrated they have been fighting with each other (and not just at Wembley). A manager whose only managed 50 odd games and a team that can lose to most league one teams on any given day.

In the past we have been through rough spells but I always felt optimism. Going down then coming back up with GT, losing GT to England but singing all day at Everton until he came out to us.

Maybe I've got it wrong and everyone else will go next season with renewed faith but deep down I can't shake the feeling that something drastic needs to happen for us all to wake from our slumber and reclaim our pride and self-belief.

Either it's just me being an old git or others feel the same way?. Either way don't get me wrong I'm Villa till I die.

This.

You just have to accept Villa will never win a trophy again and just have to 'celebrate' coming in the top 10 and win more than 6 at home. That's the best we can hope for. If you can't stomach the hard reality that is modern football, then you will always be fed up watching the Villa. The final was pants but no one though we would beat Liverpool either so take the rough with the smooth.

Why would we accept that when we've appeared in 2 cup finals in the last 5 years, along with another 2 semi-finals? Not to mention the fact giants of the game such as Wigan and Birmingham have won a cup in the last 4 years. It's very possible we will win a cup in the next few years, we could easily meet someone like Liverpool in a final, and we beat them regularly.

I get you mate, I'm also in Perth and if I wasn't flying back soon might have gone myself.

Football isn't the sport I fell in love with and to be honest I hardly watch anything other than Villa which I find myself getting angry and frustrated rather than enjoying the experience.

I envy you as much as I'm fed up I'm unable to give it up and find something else, that said Go the Dockers and Eagles!!

Have some sympathy for me mate. I'm a **** Carlton supporter!

I get you mate, I'm also in Perth and if I wasn't flying back soon might have gone myself.

Football isn't the sport I fell in love with and to be honest I hardly watch anything other than Villa which I find myself getting angry and frustrated rather than enjoying the experience.

I envy you as much as I'm fed up I'm unable to give it up and find something else, that said Go the Dockers and Eagles!!

Have some sympathy for me mate. I'm a **** Carlton supporter!

My mate is a Dees fan. I'm told that's even worse?

Your an old git mate! ;)

I know exactly how you feel though. At 41 I have seen more than my fair share of highs and lows supporting Villa. My own support(attendance) has faltered over the last couple of years due to the way the club has been run. I just stopped going as much and have along with friends been more selective of my visits to vp. Problem for myself though is that if I don't go I'm still like a crack addict. I'll find the best stream or means of watching the game and then proceed to pace up and down, curse continually and get nervous as f__k.  And if we lose I promise myself "never again"-  and I will never watch match of the day after a defeat. If we win the fist goes in the air, I'm bouncing but relaxed and I'm defiintely watching match of the day later that night!

There is no hope though for me I'm afraid. Being a kid and walking down the trinity road especially for an evening game, seeing the sky glowing in the distance because of the floodlights, hearing the crowd getting louder and louder as you get nearer and then being struck by this beautiful oasis in the shit city of Birmingham(pun intended) that screams VILLA  TIL I DIE!! It brainwashed me.

My own experience of the cup final was fantastic. The day itself was one of the best ever personally following Villa regardless of the result and our fans were magnificent apart from the few dicks throwing punches. From the moment the first drink went down in the green man to singing and dancing around the streets of Wembley. Its's not often I get the chance to act like a lollipop these days so I bloody well made the most of it. The way I see it though was that in the end the game/event although not irrelevent was more an opportunity to party after the frustrations of the last couple of years, we just didn't get the cherry on top at the end of the day. I went with no expectation of victory, I only hoped the players would have a go and give us a goal to celebrate...just one. Neither occurred however what I got out of the day was a reminder. A reminder that no matter how shit the team performs at times Villa is a huge club with fantastic supporters that represent. Everything to be proud of in my opinion and as low as I feel at times I just can't give it up however painful or costly!

• Like 2

Yes the final was a huge disappointment, but not as much as losing it and being relegated at the same time.

Football has changed big time. Its modern football or life as we know it.

You are right, it's not the same, but.

Get a rich sugar daddy shop at Harrods and drive a Range Rover.

Or shop at Primark and drive an old banger.

Thats what it is. Every team who gets a decent player moves ''i have always wanted to play in the Champions League"

As one hero goes it opens the door for somebody else.

The highs, the lows, the good the bad....at the moment this is the roller coaster that is Villa.

Take it on the chin, be proud to support ASTON VILLA and everything we stand for.

Wear your colours with pride and stand out from the 'crowd'

Keep the Faith

UTV

we will be back.....

Huge sympathy for the opening post. I "only" spent £240 on two tickets for the final to sit there and watch Arsenal,  Villa were not on show.

The fans before the match were magnificent,  great day, atmosphere superb then the match,  the thing we all went for,  was totally shocking. It was the culmination of Lerner's time in charge,  nearly but miles away.  Promise of much,  delivery of so very little.  You can only string fans along that way for so long

Totally agree with that post, it was all great until we kicked off.....men against boys, so bad as to be embarrassing

Its not just Villa, its football in general. Its a closed book now to the elite. When I started following football in the mid to late 80's, of course you still had the big teams but any team could make an impression in the league or win a cup with a few canny purchases, a good manager and a bit of luck. Watford came through the leagues and came second in the league and reached a cup final. Wimbledon came through the leagues to win the FA Cup and finish in the top 10. Coventry won the FA Cup, Luton won the League Cup and appeared in another final. Forest were always near the top of the league and making good cup runs and Leeds won the league. We all remember Villa coming runners up in the league twice. Teams like West Ham and Norwich also had seasons where they put in a decent go at the title and finished in the top 3. 

That's gone now... the league will be won by one of a handful of teams and we all know that barring miracles the top 6 in the country next year will be a combination of Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs. There are no 'surprise packages' anymore. The best the rest can hope for is an occasional cup final. The hope and optimism of a surprise title challenge from any other team is gone now. The establishment are so keen to protect the elite that it has become boring. 

Its not just the UK. Look at what teams used to win the European Cup. Do you think we will ever see Red Star Belgrade, Hamburg, Steau Bucharest or even Ajax Amsterdam again play in the latter stages of what used to be the most exclusive club competition in the world. Juventus are in the final tonight and even that is a bit of a shock! 

I might be wearing rose tinted spectacles and hanker for the better days but I truly believe it was more fun back then. I used to look forward to the new season hoping that with a few players we could surprise people... now the best we have to look forward to is finishing 12th - 17th in the Premier League. 

Sorry for the long moan but its how I feel. I'll always love Villa and follow them but it doesn't give me the joy anymore like it used to.

• Like 1

Â