Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

• 2 weeks later...

done some great missions recently, 20 took me ages to get what i was meant to do, the one with the skulls and the 2 armoured vehicles, **** me!

i died on the mission where they invade your base (i fell off a **** pipe!) do you get to re-do it?

the checkpoints are doing my head in and im not sure if the ability to fulton enemies out rather than hiding the bodies makes it easier than it could be but other than that im loving it, being able to customise your weapons makes a huge difference, tranquiliser sniper rifle with a suppressor, smash everything 

Konami own the property so the split means Kojima won't be making another gave any time soon, but interestingly it's unlikely Konami will either - they're in essence out of the game industry, instead focusing on their other markets, notably pachinko machines. Which they've already earmarked for a Metal Gear iteration. So there's that...

But yeah in essence this is it for Metal Gear. At least it goes out on a helluva high note, and nicely builds on, develops and to an extent troubleshoots the whole series and it's storyline.

Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant.

Just finally got the true ending.

This game... GOTY. So good.

I was just about to post more or less exactly the same thing.

I take it this Kojima/Konami split has buffered up hopes of another?

Konami have all but pulled out of the AAA videogame industry at this point as far as I can tell, PES is the only console game they are going to publish for the foreseeable future.  Kojima will get a job somewhere else, whether that somewhere else gives him five years and £50m to make a new game of this scale remains to be seen, probably not but I'll still be interested in seeing what he does next.  

The thing is this game, brilliant as it is (I'm 55+ hours in, still only 33% complete) isn't really a Metal Gear Solid game is it? I know all previous Metal Gear Solid games have been somewhat different from each other but this is such a radical departure from the formula that they could have slapped a completely different branding onto the mechanics of the game and it would probably have been almost as much fun. 

I don't know...  It's a sequel to Peace Walker really, but more elaborate. It's still a Metal Gear game in my view, it just hides a lot of the token Metal Gear madness and it's main plot is curiously downplayed compared to how they usually are in these games.

Just finally got the true ending.

This game... GOTY. So good.

I was just about to post more or less exactly the same thing.

I take it this Kojima/Konami split has buffered up hopes of another?

Konami have all but pulled out of the AAA videogame industry at this point as far as I can tell, PES is the only console game they are going to publish for the foreseeable future.  Kojima will get a job somewhere else, whether that somewhere else gives him five years and £50m to make a new game of this scale remains to be seen, probably not but I'll still be interested in seeing what he does next.  

The thing is this game, brilliant as it is (I'm 55+ hours in, still only 33% complete) isn't really a Metal Gear Solid game is it? I know all previous Metal Gear Solid games have been somewhat different from each other but this is such a radical departure from the formula that they could have slapped a completely different branding onto the mechanics of the game and it would probably have been almost as much fun. 

said a few pages back its a formula that isnt actually anything new but it really works, from what ive seen im expecting the new ghost recon to have a similar feel and the division, really really hoping capcom are looking at it and them and thinking how they can get resident evil back on track...

as for MGS, one of the missions was pissing me off, the airport one where you have to extract the bloke, i can get in, get him out but then keep being spotted as im leaving and mowed down by the helicopter (who flew in low and shot me through the window last time...) and the checkpoint means you start from scratch each time, so i sent my blokes out on a mission to destroy the helmet factory and the flashlight factory, i went in free mode and smashed the place up beforehand, all the radios in the local area are down, the lights are down, the guard towers are down, the radar is down... will hopefully piss that mission tonight

i think the MGS madness is there but you actually have to find a portion of it yourself, the story is at times on the brink but IMO cuts out the boring stuff, ive not skipped anything, ive not had to speed up conversations, by the time i got to the end of number 2 despite loving it i was frazzled, the number of easter eggs (?) or just general things that can happen is nuts, i had the cutscene when you get back with the flies at the weekend

There are a lot of hidden bits in it. Particularly hidden cutscenes. I managed to have a slightly creepy weird scene with Quiet on a return to the base which a lot of people seem to mud, I've had the birthday scene with its additional ending, etc etc, and I'm sure there's others I've missed.

It also goes increasingly mad if you delve deeper into the development trees - there's some absolutely daft stuff in there, in some cases so daft they become very useful...

Konami own the property so the split means Kojima won't be making another gave any time soon, but interestingly it's unlikely Konami will either - they're in essence out of the game industry, instead focusing on their other markets, notably pachinko machines. Which they've already earmarked for a Metal Gear iteration. So there's that...

But yeah in essence this is it for Metal Gear. At least it goes out on a helluva high note, and nicely builds on, develops and to an extent troubleshoots the whole series and it's storyline.

Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant.

Well the next step would have been to remake the original Metal Gear and factor in all the retcons, such as Venom Snake,  Would've been nice to see.

Â