FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

I'm seriously glad it's the Americans that have decided to take on FIFA's corruption issues - the FBI et. al don't mess around. I imagine there will be a lot of people in FIFA who are sh***ing bricks right now, and I'm loving it!

Looks to me as if they have targeted the inner Blatter circle thus cutting down his inner allies thus weakening his power. I'm guessing some will really open a can of worms now facing up to 20 years.

I'm also thinking this will have a ripple effect throughout football, even here with the FA.

I think the timing is key as well, doing it days before an election puts in on the highest pedestal possible which is great news. There is no way one of these guys does not have something on Blatter. 

Biased or not the British media have been pushing the "FIFA is corrupt line" for a long time and It wont be a big shock to the rest of the world (if they were stupid enough to think other wise anyway)

Just seen a press conference in which the spokesmen said that they are pleased this has happened and that they helped in handing over documents in November. Just hope Blatter doesnt spin this into we helped rid our selves of corruption.

Surely the election cant go ahead and hoping for a re vote for the World Cups.

I think the timing is key as well, doing it days before an election puts in on the highest pedestal possible which is great news. There is no way one of these guys does not have something on Blatter. 

Biased or not the British media have been pushing the "FIFA is corrupt line" for a long time and It wont be a big shock to the rest of the world (if they were stupid enough to think other wise anyway)

Just seen a press conference in which the spokesmen said that they are pleased this has happened and that they helped in handing over documents in November. Just hope Blatter doesnt spin this into we helped rid our selves of corruption.

Surely the election cant go ahead and hoping for a re vote for the World Cups.

Fifa, the kings of spin.

The Americans (using American Law aimed via Corporate American Companies i.e. Coke Cola, McDonalds, Budweiser...........etc) & the FBI are using this as a means to get at the 400+ Million that a world cup generates.

The Federal Reserve can F**K **f if they think this is a way to Bank roll thier greed.

Sorry but Corporate USA didnt have a clue how much of a cash-cow Football was untill they hosted the World Cup.

Since then they've also being trying to get their corrupt dirty hands on it.

I think the United States are only interested in preventing Russia from having the World Cup. The investigation should be led by Swiss authorities seeing as it's a Swiss-based organisation also.

If I learned anything from Wolf of Wall Street is that FBI has no jurisdiction in Switzerland. So doubt Sepp be in any trouble 

But the State Department can have Blatter extradited if they want. But they won't. 

From The Mirror

(yes I know, but anyway...)

The 14 officials arrested and charged are as follows:

• Jeffrey Webb: Current FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president

• Eduardo Li: Current FIFA executive committee member-elect, CONCACAF executive

• Julio Rocha: Current FIFA development officer. Nicaraguan soccer federation (FENIFUT) president

• Costas Takkas: Current attaché to the CONCACAF president. Former CIFA general secretary

• Jack Warner: Former FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president

• Eugenio Figueredo: Current FIFA vice president and executive committee member. Former CONMEBOL president

• Rafael Esquivel: Current CONMEBOL executive committee member and Venezuelan soccer federation (FVF) president

• José Maria Marin: Current member of the FIFA organizing committee for the Olympic football tournaments

• Nicolás Leoz: Former FIFA executive committee member and CONMEBOL president

There were also a number of sports-marketing executives named:

• Alejandro Burzaco: Controlling principal of Torneos y Competencias S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina

• Aaron Davidson: President of Traffic Sports USA Inc. (Traffic USA).

• Hugo and Mariano Jinkis: Controlling principals of Full Play Group S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina, and its affiliates.

I think the United States are only interested in preventing Russia from having the World Cup. The investigation should be led by Swiss authorities seeing as it's a Swiss-based organisation also.

Also from The Mirror

Russia: "Illegal exterritorial use of US law"

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally following the FBI-led investigation in Zurich.

The 2018 World Cup in 2018 is due to be played in Russia and while that fact does not appear to be under threat at the moment the Russian foreign ministry was clearly unimpressed with the US's actions.

A statement on their website read: “Without going into the details of the accusations... this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law.

“We hope that this will not in any way be used to cast a shadow on the international football organisation as a whole and its decisions.

“Once again we are calling on Washington to stop attempts to make justice far beyond its borders using its legal norms and to follow the generally accepted international legal procedures."

So Jack Warner has issued a statement denying the accusations against him by US officials?! Parden me...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

The Mirror

Jack Warner arrest warrant issued

The Trinidad attorney general has issued an arrest warrant for ex-vice president of FIFA and current CONCACAF president Jack Warner.

Warner will also face extradition to the US.

Also from The Mirror

Russia: "Illegal exterritorial use of US law"

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally following the FBI-led investigation in Zurich.

The 2018 World Cup in 2018 is due to be played in Russia and while that fact does not appear to be under threat at the moment the Russian foreign ministry was clearly unimpressed with the US's actions.

A statement on their website read: “Without going into the details of the accusations... this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law.

“We hope that this will not in any way be used to cast a shadow on the international football organisation as a whole and its decisions.

“Once again we are calling on Washington to stop attempts to make justice far beyond its borders using its legal norms and to follow the generally accepted international legal procedures."

the US would never interfere in other peoples business ;)

Seven have pleaded guilty apparently and according to something I saw today, one of the sports marketing companies is charged with making £150m worth of illegal payments. £150m of bung. £150m. No wonder they work so hard to keep it going.

Imagine how much a successful world cup bid in a country with no facilities, a terrible human rights record, fan unfriendly laws and a climate completely unsuitable for playing football in would cost.

Â