FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Blatter probably would have the World Cup in Syria if he could, to show that "football can bring peace" or some shit like that.

Blatter wants it to be in the USA, always has wanted another World cup there. The amount of money he could pocket would be epic and I think it should go to them. The timing is perfect for them. Plus there wouldn't be a peep about stadiums being finish on time or any of that nonsense. Would cost basically nothing to host. 

Blatter probably would have the World Cup in Syria if he could, to show that "football can bring peace" or some shit like that.

Blatter wants it to be in the USA, always has wanted another World cup there. The amount of money he could pocket would be epic and I think it should go to them. The timing is perfect for them. Plus there wouldn't be a peep about stadiums being finish on time or any of that nonsense. Would cost basically nothing to host. 

Yea people forget that Blatter did not want the world cup in Qatar. 

• Like 1

This may sound like a daft question but, hypothetically, is there anything stopping nations forming a breakaway international football federation?

Hypothetically no. There's probably all sorts of contractual obligations that would need to be broken, it would cost.

So FIFA is bulletproof then effectively.

I think that's the only way anything is ever going to change.

But it would take pretty much all the major players to break away. Or, more realistically, make a legitimate threat to breakaway.

Then FIFA might change.

but as DDID says, there's so much money involved in FIFA that I'd say the chances of that are very very slim.

Sometimes, when I come to regard a desirable result as impossible, I remember when I was teaching English in Crimea in 2010, and what I'd have thought if you told me then that in 4 years time, Lance Armstrong would be considered to have never won the Tour de France, the News Of The World would have collapsed, and that the land I was standing on would be annexed by Russia. Things that you don't think are going to happen suddenly sometimes do. That's the optimistic way of looking at FIFA. 

Realistically, the only way I can imagine the edifice crumbling is if bribes are paid to or by American companies or officials. That would involve the FBI, who would hopefully prove impervious to the usual arguments of 'no', 'Swiss neutrality/banking secrecy', 'that's the way we've always done things round here' or 'we put on the World Cup to the delight of 7 billion people don't you know', which seem to usually win the day. 

• Like 3

yeah but that doesnt fit in with the anti-Blatter agenda ;)

he'll win too, got a fair few of the african and oceania nations in his pocket

votes he has obtained by cleverly following Havelange lead as he was made president by promising more World Cup spots in Asia and Africa when the Europeans that ran FIFA ignored these places. These continents have 10 spots and counting in a 32 team World Cup when before 74 I think they only had maybe 2 in a 16 team World Cup. The maths dont look great

Also these continents have maybe 90-100 votes between them which shows Blatter is no fool

yeah but that doesnt fit in with the anti-Blatter agenda ;)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. It doesn't mean I should keep it.

How do you know this? Its not been revealed who voted for whom has it? Please don't tell me you are taking his word for it.

How do you know this? Its not been revealed who voted for whom has it? Please don't tell me you are taking his word for it.

think I read in World Soccer who voted for who and had Beckenbauer and Platini voting for Qatar. Blatter didnt have a vote unless its a tie he has deciding vote

he'll win too, got a fair few of the african and oceania nations in his pocket

votes he has obtained by cleverly following Havelange lead as he was made president by promising more World Cup spots in Asia and Africa when the Europeans that ran FIFA ignored these places. These continents have 10 spots and counting in a 32 team World Cup when before 74 I think they only had maybe 2 in a 16 team World Cup. The maths dont look great

Also these continents have maybe 90-100 votes between them which shows Blatter is no fool

There's not much chance of European participation being diluted further. The competition still needs bankable stars, or it ceases to be so much of a money-spinner. 

think I read in World Soccer who voted for who and had Beckenbauer and Platini voting for Qatar. Blatter didnt have a vote unless its a tie he has deciding vote

So if he didn't have a vote how does that show he didn't want the WC in Qatar?

He was publicly against it and supported the world cup in USA. 

• 2 weeks later...

"I personally think that in the end the 2022 World Cup will not take place in Qatar," the German told Sport Bild on Monday.

"Medics say that they cannot accept responsibility with a World Cup taking place under these conditions," the former German football (DFB) chief, who is now a member of the world

football's governing body FIFA that awarded the tournament to Qatar in 2010.

Although Qatar has insisted that a summer World Cup is viable thanks to cooling technologies it is developing for stadiums, training areas and fan zones, there is still widespread concern over the health of the players and visiting supporters.

"They may be able to cool the stadiums but a World Cup does not take place only there," Zwanziger said.

"Fans from around the world will be coming and travelling in this heat and the first life-threatening case will trigger an investigation by a state prosecutor.

"That is not something that FIFA Exco members want to answer for."

FIFA are looking to shift the tournament to a European winter date to avoid the scorching summer where temperatures routinely rise over 40 Celsius.

However, talk of a potential change away from the usual June-July dates has resulted in plenty of opposition from domestic leagues around the world, worried the schedule switch would severely disrupt them.

Both FIFA and Qatar World Cup organisers have also been fending off questions of corruption ever since they were awarded the tournament back in 2010, while Qatar has also been criticised for the conditions provided for migrant workers' in the tiny but wealthy Gulf state.

Link

• 1 month later...
Â