Our Next Premier League Clean Sheet?

villa-revolution

It's now 26 consecutive Premier League games that we have now gone without keeping a clean sheet. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that this is now a Premier League record. Embarrasing or what?

I think the majority of us would accept that it is the collective responsibility of the team to try & solve this depressing issue though ultimately it is usually individual errors that lead to the majority of silly goals that we concede. Take the Newcastle game for example. El Ahmadi caught in possession & Lowton turned inside out by Remy on the first goal. Then, both Luna & Clark allowed Ben Arfa to cut in from the left & get a shot away on target that Guzan did well to parry only for Gouffran to put away the rebound. Luna was most culpable here as he should have forced Ben Arfa down the line & away from goal. I'm not making the bearded one the scapegoat here though because so far he has acquitted himself well to the Premier League & Ben Arfa is a very tricky player indeed. However, this is still basic defending.

Whisper it too, but we have now at least appeared to have learned how to defend corners & only an offside Ivanovic goal for Chelsea in the second half at Stamford Bridge has breached us from a set piece so far this season.

So, encouragingly, we do appear to be learning, but more worryingly, we are now conceding regularly in open play.

The most logical & worrying aspect of all this is pretty simple, if we don't score at least one goal ourselves we will get nothing from the game.

We also appear to be very slow starters & keep conceding within 20 odd minutes of matches. This immediately nullifies our counter attacking threat as teams just drop off & sit in deep leaving us with no space to run into behind them.

This inability to keep a clean sheet needs to be rectified asap. However, because we are such an attacking side I don't expect it to end anytime soon.

Infact, I'll make a really daft prediction & say that our next clean sheet in the league will probably be against Man Utd at Home on the 14th December 2013.

My logic is based purely on the possibility that we will claim that elusive clean sheet against an opponent more likely to hammer us than draw a blank but in an odd sort of way that is the way these ridiculous sequences come to an end & finally break when you least expect them too.

Hopefully, we will have sorted this problem out long before then because we have fixtures against Hull, Cardiff & Sunderland in which you would at least expect one shut out surely?

Anyway, against which opposition do other posters think this nightmare sequence is finally going to end this season, even if at all?

We will get a clean sheet probably in the next game we have where we are able to dominate possession against a weaker team. 

Last season we had a few games where we dominated possession, including Stoke and Reading @ home where we got a couple of shut outs.

Question is: do we now have the players this season to dominate possession against the Stokes and Readings of the league?

Not sure exactly but on current form it will be a fairly short time after I win a multiply rolled over Euromillions jackpot, buy some defenders who are better than Vlaar (supposedly the best of the lot?) et al, drive them to Bodymoor Heath myself and introduce them to Lambert.

"Paul, these are good defenders. They don't make basic errors every **** game. This kind of player you are not used to managing but they will surprise you. You will like them. You'll like the feeling of having a zero against the opposition on the scoreline. I know you are unfamiliar with it and it's maybe even a little scary for you. I understand that, the unknown is often an uncomfortable concept.Trust me on this one, you will like it one you've tried it."

• Like 1

Not sure exactly but on current form it will be a fairly short time after I win a multiply rolled over Euromillions jackpot, buy some defenders who are better than Vlaar (supposedly the best of the lot?) et al, drive them to Bodymoor Heath myself and introduce them to Lambert.

"Paul, these are good defenders. They don't make basic errors every **** game. This kind of player you are not used to managing but they will surprise you. You will like them. You'll like the feeling of having a zero against the opposition on the scoreline. I know you are unfamiliar with it and it's maybe even a little scary for you. I understand that, the unknown is often an uncomfortable concept.Trust me on this one, you will like it one you've tried it."

Then they'd all tear their acl the next game.

Stoke at home

If we can't keep a clean sheet against a Stoke side managed by Mark Hughes we never will

Aren't stoke having their best start to a Premier League season?

I think you might need to have a rethink on your opinion of Hughes. He has done pretty well everywhere except QPR.

Â