Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

another no arms tackle to the head by England - FFS

i don’t blame Vunipola - he shouldn’t be on the pitch in the first place. 

So glad Borthwick has selected several number 8s for the World Cup squad… oh wait!!!! 

Edited by theboyangel

As soon as the name Borthwick was mentioned you just knew what we were in for. 

At least cricket had the balls (pun unintended) to make an unpredictable appointment, look out that's turned out. Shaun Edwards would have at least attempted to somehow put a shine on this dull, plodding boring crap that has far passed it's sell by date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB said:

What a moron Vunipola is. Nasty, nasty hit. Clearly doesn’t fancy the World Cup. 

It seems to be an issue across English and New Zealand rugby, not learning to adjust to the new tackle height rules. I know here in Ireland we do a lot of training with top referees in camp. Players like Aki over here have had to work really hard to take this out of their game

On 19/08/2023 at 21:08, pete101 said:

It seems to be an issue across English and New Zealand rugby, not learning to adjust to the new tackle height rules. I know here in Ireland we do a lot of training with top referees in camp. Players like Aki over here have had to work really hard to take this out of their game

With the Billy tackle, height wasn’t really the issue, he is crouched down, as was the Ireland player. It’s more the fact that there was no use of the arm. 

So Farrell now getting a ban. It’s fully deserved, but what a shambles the WRC have made of it. There was a hearing, they chose who judged it, then went against that as it wasn’t the result they wanted. Just makes a mockery of everything 

4 match ban so will miss the two most difficult matches in the World Cup against Argentina and Japan.

Haven’t heard the outcome of Vunipola’s hearing but expecting at least a 3 match ban so will miss just Argentina.

At least Borthwick had the nous to pick more than one proper number 8… oh wait! 

Borthwick was never the right man for the job. They also had a chance to sack Eddie jones long before they did but hung on to him when he was never going to turn it around. That said, given the ridiculous draw England and Australia should both make the semi finals. 

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Borthwick was never the right man for the job. They also had a chance to sack Eddie jones long before they did but hung on to him when he was never going to turn it around. That said, given the ridiculous draw England and Australia should both make the semi finals. 

Agree with everything bar the last sentence.

I see no attacking positives under Borthwick and will lose to Argentina, possibly Japan and the current hoofball tactics will undoubtedly play into the hands of the Samoans.

I fear this is a wasted opportunity to install a dynamic forward thinking manager and not the yes man the outdated RFU craved.

There’s an excellent article on the Guardian website today that sums up pretty much exactly how I feel.

Essentially, Borthwick’s been thrown a hospital pass by the RFU in having to sort out the absolute chaos left by Jones with a World Cup on the horizon.

He’s resorted to ‘English rugby 1.0’ and playing to our perceived strengths to try and keep things as respectable as possible. This is obviously failing miserably as most other nations do our perceived strengths better than us, and he might have been better building things around Smith, but I can kind of understand the reasoning.

He’s inherited a squad with a fair number of guys whose priorities seem to be to try and prove how big and tough they are, and celebrate turnovers by whooping and jumping around like utter gimps rather than play heads-up, smart rugby. When the opposition not only have more nous and skill but are also at least as big and strong, then they’re ****. 

There are pretty unique, systemic issues with English rugby that mean that, barring another golden generation, we won’t be seriously competitive on the world stage.

• Like 2

Anthony Watson now ruled out. 

Too many of our squad are beyond their prime and already injury ridden.

Feel bad for him to miss the tournament though. 

I’d select Slade (especially with Farrell missing the first two games) to give us better options instead of just the crash ball in centre with Marchant able to deputise on the wing. 

Bit out of the loop as I haven't seen much/any rugby for a while but I can't believe how many seats are still available for Saturday vs Fiji. Are England really that bad that nobody wants to watch them? 

I'll be there cheering on the Fijians.

20 minutes ago, choffer said:

Bit out of the loop as I haven't seen much/any rugby for a while but I can't believe how many seats are still available for Saturday vs Fiji. Are England really that bad that nobody wants to watch them? 

I'll be there cheering on the Fijians.

Unless you like watching the ball up in the air - going to an England game at the moment is not for you.

To be honest, the recent prices at Twickenham have been astronomical and when you’re paying that to watch turgid rugby no wonder people are staying away. 

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

To be honest, the recent prices at Twickenham have been astronomical and when you’re paying that to watch turgid rugby no wonder people are staying away. 

Last time I was there, I was on the back row of the top shelf. Half the pitch obscured by the scoreboard (which they'd blu-tacked two tiny telly's to the back of so we had an indication of what was going on in the bits we couldn't see. £125 a ticket. Absolute insanity, quite apart from the fact that it's generally impossible to find any tickets. Then again, it's England and that's not generally something I'm all that interested in (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿).

• Shocked 1

Â