Rocket League

hogso

6 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Why do you sometimes not move division win or lose?

As far as I can tell, how far you go up or down is dependent on how good your matched opponent is.

I'm a scrub, bouncing between prospect divisions, and every now and then i'll get matched against a team full of people in Challenger Elite or whatever, and provided I don't get spanked by double figures I never seem to move down after those losses.

• Like 1

Contrary to what lapal might tell you, I'm fairly decent for my level which like you, is bouncing between prospect divisions. Annoys the hell outta me when I am matched against veterans or experts. What the **** are they doing down there anyway?

• Like 1

Expert and veteran just means you've played a lot of games. Doesn't mean you've won any of them. I was playing against some bloody terrible 'veterans' while I was still a rookie.

I'm surprised at how much disparity there is even within the ranks. My rank is fairly stable at challenger elite, I lost a couple by three or four last night, then won a game against people in the same division, 9-1 and scored 7 of them.

I need to practice in the air really, I'll never get any higher with my current approach, which is basically throwing myself at the ball with the hope that it goes vaguely towards the right goal.

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Expert and veteran just means you've played a lot of games. Doesn't mean you've won any of them. I was playing against some bloody terrible 'veterans' while I was still a rookie.

That's true, but you do rank up quicker the better you perform, so winning and playing well does matter. It would take a long long time to get to Veteran if you were completely shite at the game.

Yeah, don't read too much in to a players level. Some 'Master' and 'Legend' level players in the Champion ranks are very ordinary, on the contrary though, when you see a 'Rocketeer' level they're pretty much guarenteed to be a bit special. Psyonix have confirmed it's capped at level 100, but once people start to hit it, they may make a new rank. No idea if anyone has yet, though.

I think I have finally come around to this game, its bloody addictive.

Yes I am one of the Xbox noobs who was late to the party... I think I'm ok but have no way of telling really as I can go from winning 2-3 games comfortably to getting my arse kicked in the following game.

I still haven't quite worked out how much to toggle the ball cam on, I've seen videos online where people have it on the whole time , I've tried that but still unsure if its better to toggle on and off.

Androidsheep. I can't remember why :P

I think I have a couple of people on here, but rarely play on the PS4, I bought it on PC a couple of weeks ago, and now have 70 hours in it :blush: I'll play a bit more on PS4 if you guys play regularly and I don't suck too much, though, probably more fun than playing with random people in matchmaking. Anyone about tonight?

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I have finally come around to this game, its bloody addictive.

Yes I am one of the Xbox noobs who was late to the party... I think I'm ok but have no way of telling really as I can go from winning 2-3 games comfortably to getting my arse kicked in the following game.

I still haven't quite worked out how much to toggle the ball cam on, I've seen videos online where people have it on the whole time , I've tried that but still unsure if its better to toggle on and off.

Stefan and Jono hardly ever use Ball cam. They're very much in the minority as far as I'm aware, as most people (including myself) seem to use ball cam almost exclusively, only turning it off to do things like go and fetch some boost, dribble or demolish other players.

However, tryhard Hogso aside, Stefan and Jono are the best players on here so maybe they're onto something!

Cross network play announced for XBox ONE and PC, with strong hints that XBox to PS4 could be next.

Could we get the PS4 vs XBox showdown that VT has been crying out for?!

I don't really know what the advantage is in using ball cam, I always know where the ball is, I only ever use it to see which direction the opponent is going to hit the ball. In terms of using it to hit a ball, it's a total nightmare for me. I make a mistake that leads to a goal way too often when using it.

And I don't think we will get PS4 vs Xbox battles on here, because you can't party up just like you can't right now with Steam players. I hope it happens in the future as I can play you from my PC with no input lag.

Edited by villarule123

33 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I don't really know what the advantage is in using ball cam, I always know where the ball is, I only ever use it to see which direction the opponent is going to hit the ball. In terms of using it to hit a ball, it's a total nightmare for me. I make a mistake that leads to a goal way too often when using it.

For me the advantage isn't when you're hitting the ball, it's when you're off the ball that it's such an advantage. When I'm flying back towards the goal to defend it helps to know exactly where the ball is at all times. I'm adamant the reason you and Stefan have a tendency to hit the ball backwards and across goal and stuff is because you don't use ball cam. Ball cam makes it much easier to head back to the centre of the goal and then hit the ball outwards instead of meeting the ball sooner and hitting it the wrong way.

But essentially, it's like most things, you just use what suits you best. If I don't use ball cam I can't hit the **** thing because I'm so used to how the camera moves when you approach it. The only reason I'm training myself not to use it is because dribbling is nearly impossible with ball cam on.

I do use ball cam when not on the ball by the way, I'm constantly switching between them both when not attacking the ball. I hit the ball backwards because I get cocky and try to be clever, but end up looking like a clearing in the woods.

It took a lot of getting used to as sarp didn't have an auto ball cam, but I use it exclusively now, my positional sense is such that often  times I can leave it on  when getting boost. It's essential for defending especially. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogso said:

It took a lot of getting used to as sarp didn't have an auto ball cam, but I use it exclusively now, my positional sense is such that often  times I can leave it on  when getting boost. It's essential for defending especially. 

This is it for me. I don't know how people defend effectively without it. Especially high crosses.

When it comes to hitting the ball it's purely what you're used to I think. There's little difference there, imo.

Downright weirdest thing ever just happened.

I'm playing 2v2 randomly and we're 3-1 up with like 1:30 to go.

They score a decent goal to make it 3-2, my teammate votes to forfeit and just gives up, sits on our goal line. We're still winning.

They score again and he stops playing outright.

We lose 5-4.

What the ****

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â