Rocket League

hogso

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why do you never play with us :(

No, TP!

I don't think we've ever played with him. You ninja'd me @Stevo985!

(wrong quote too!)

EDIT 2: I guess being in Australia is a good enough excuse :D

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No, TP!

I don't think we've ever played with him. You ninja'd me @Stevo985!

(wrong quote too!)

EDIT 2: I guess being in Australia is a good enough excuse :D

I do work shiftwork, so i'm often free at the right times!

I'm also on PS4, which might make it hard if you guys are on PC?

I'm on annual leave for 3 weeks starting Monday and I absolutely will get involved in a VillaTalk game at some point in that time :)

My PSN thingo is ThunderPower14 (without the _) if anyone wants to add me.

God, the joys of picking my unchangeable locked in forever PSN (and VillaTalk) name as a teenager and having to live with it more than a decade later.

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

God, the joys of picking my unchangeable locked in forever PSN (and VillaTalk) name as a teenager and having to live with it more than a decade later

It's not that bad, imagine being actually born with a name like 'Stefanie' or 'Stevo'

• Like 2

On 27/02/2014 at 21:26, hogso said:

The reason football/soccor/soccar isn't mentioned in the title is that they want it to be accessible and open to all possibilities. So races, destruction derbys, maybe some other sports like tennis and basketball in there aswell.

Called it! :D

• Like 4

It would be awesome, but it would also be a totally new game, the mechanics and arenas would have to be completely altered. Perhaps if Sony were to request a spinoff stand alone title, though, call it Rocket League Sports, like Wii Sports, but with cars..................

Played against a Steam player yesterday who had no name, just a kind of blue orb above his car. When they scored it just said "scored!". I thought that this perhaps meant they were some sort of RL God, but they were merely just alright. Must have been some sort of PC hoodoo.

RE the new ranking system, it really does a great job of matchmaking. I dropped from Champion Division II to Champion Division I in Solo Standard, and have found that I'm winning far more frequently now. I had gone on a run of 1 win in 5 before I got 'relegated', and that one win was with a Pro player on my team!

I've also switched from Backfire to Octane which feels a bit better, but might try the Dominus next as looking at some hitbox models it suggests that might suit me best

Edited by hogso

16 minutes ago, hogso said:

It would be awesome, but it would also be a totally new game, the mechanics and arenas would have to be completely altered. Perhaps if Sony were to request a spinoff stand alone title, though, call it Rocket League Sports, like Wii Sports, but with cars..................

Played against a Steam player yesterday who had no name, just a kind of blue orb above his car. When they scored it just said "scored!". I thought that this perhaps meant they were some sort of RL God, but they were merely just alright. Must have been some sort of PC hoodoo.

RE the new ranking system, it really does a great job of matchmaking. I dropped from Champion Division II to Champion Division I in Solo Standard, and have found that I'm winning far more frequently now. I had gone on a run of 1 win in 5 before I got 'relegated', and that one win was with a Pro player on my team!

I've also switched from Backfire to Octane which feels a bit better, but might try the Dominus next as looking at some hitbox models it suggests that might suit me best

tis' odd you mention hitboxes.  The only car I can be consistent with is Gizmo.  I have tried most of (not all) the others, but Gizmo just feels right for me. Kinda rounded, so I can play nice little lobs over players rather than just smashing shots hard and straight.  I kinda like it :)

Not played ps4 in over a week now! :o

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

tis' odd you mention hitboxes.  The only car I can be consistent with is Gizmo.  I have tried most of (not all) the others, but Gizmo just feels right for me. Kinda rounded, so I can play nice little lobs over players rather than just smashing shots hard and straight.  I kinda like it :)

Not played ps4 in over a week now! :o

It's actually nothing to do with it being rounded, the hit boxes of all the cars are rectangles, they don't match the shape of the car exactly. Some are talller, or wider, or thinner, but the differences aren't massive and as such, for most players, there's no advantage to be had with a certain car, it's just whatever you prefer and what feels best. 

When the difference between scoring an aerial and hitting the post is a few pixels though, the top players can garner an advantage. At the moment they're mostly all using octane, because of the hitbox and also it has a better turning circle, apparently. Psyonix monitor it though, so could patch a car if it offers too much of an advantage 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

It's actually nothing to do with it being rounded, the hit boxes of all the cars are rectangles, they don't match the shape of the car exactly. Some are talller, or wider, or thinner, but the differences aren't massive and as such, for most players, there's no advantage to be had with a certain car, it's just whatever you prefer and what feels best. 

When the difference between scoring an aerial and hitting the post is a few pixels though, the top players can garner an advantage. At the moment they're mostly all using octane, because of the hitbox and also it has a better turning circle, apparently. Psyonix monitor it though, so could patch a car if it offers too much of an advantage 

Yea, I remember you saying the difference were as negligible as the devs could possibly make them, so there were no unfair advantages.  I just "feel" like Gizmo helps me out more.  Probably placebo, but I'd say I've extensively tested most of the cars and I always perform better in Gizmo.. Weird ay?!

I know people say the cars don't matter, but I swear that they do. I really wanted to use the Breakout but struggled a bit and changed back to X Devil/Venom and I just seem to make good contact more often.

I also struggle with the Merc and Roadhog because i'm used to being able to chip the ball up a bit if I don't jump, and it doesn't work as effectively with the bigger cars.

On a sadder note, I left my mates and went home tonight because we wanted to play Rocket League and it's easier when everyone has a full screen and a headset, and when I got home the servers were down, so i'm now home on a Saturday night for no good reason. Brutal.

Â