AndyClarke

I started with Villa this morning. Benteke got injured in the first game of the season and I lost 4-1. This is difficult, but I think it's fantastic so far. Much improved than last year, but £0 budget!

Why is it low? He is great at getting up there but his actual heading has been hit and miss.

I just disagree and would probably put him around 16, he's often heavily marked and if given a run at a ball, gives it a fair old clout with his bonce.

Appreciate how tricky it is though, so tough to align all these players in the same virtual side. Do you guys get given guides as how the stats dished out affect in match performance? For example, if he was flicking it on, or heading for goal, or clearing a corner, are they all directly level in being affected by 'Heading' ability? Or would 'positioning' make him better at defending headers at all?

In terms of flick-ons in reality, I'd have him around 19 or 20, he wins so so many. Attacking for goal, I can see why you've gone 13, I just think it's a shade lower than it should be.

I know you have nothing to do with it but compare it to Kozak's 20 for heading then reading the Kozak thread and comments on his aerial challenges :lol: 

Did any of your Villa rankings get pulled up/down particularly this year? 

Nope, nothing got changed, I thought long and hard about Benteke and his pace in particular wasn't finalised until a few weeks ago. Spent the summer debating him with various people including the Belgian Head Researcher to get him right.

Heading is actually how good he is at heading the ball, so forget him getting to the ball, it is purely about how good his header is. His jumping reach along with things like anticipation, strength etc will determine his leap and what it does to those around him, all heading deals with is how good a job his forehead does. Although at times his heading was wonderful, there were plenty over the bar from very presentable opportunities and after all, he is not the finished article. The Sunderland header (that was more about jumping) is one that lives long in the memory and without completely understanding the attribute skews the opinion. Kozak 20 for heading does looks odd, but to be fair we've not seen many, a 6ft 4 bloke who jumps about 5ft 8!

We have a guide which is similar to what you get in the manual, so I know what attribute does what, most people get confused by certain attributes. For example, Positioning is a purely defensive attribute and deals with how well a players holds a defensive position, Creativity is actually Vision and deals with how well a player spots team mates in a good position. Most people misunderstand this and the Positioning one always causes a row on the official forums as you can guarantee someone will expect Van Persie to have 20 for this attribute!

Benteke wins headers for fun in the game, his flick ons and knock backs are generally very good and in the box he is pretty lethal, at the end of the day 13 out of 20 is a pretty good number.

Edited by AndyClarke

Is it easier than FM13? I bought 13 but never got into it enough and ended up going back to FM12. I could win games in FM12. FM13, for whatever reason, whatever tactic I employed, my team sucked. I think on one occasion I had a good half season then went crap again. I read all the help guides etc.  It's no fun if you don't feel like you are making progress so went back to trusted old FM14.

I didn't want to spend 30 minutes setting up a team for every game and then still to lose game after game.

Ah right cool. I'll miss the sliders, though, as on FM12 if I was losing with 20 to go I'd send it all through the middle, push up high and direct which seemed to work.

Might treat myself to it tonight I think. 

They should put in referee abuse to the touchline shouts. 

Edited by Pilchard

Â