The Battle Of The Beards!

villa-revolution

Time for some fun VT - The  arrival of `Tony Moon` & his magnificent beard is great news for us Villa fans because over the years such a distinguishing feature is often associated with success for our great Club. Peter Withe, Chris Nicholl & Dennis Mortimer being a case in kind. ( Before anybody starts, yes I know Dennis wasn't sporting one when he raised `Big Ears` in 1982 & neither was Big Chris when he unloaded that exocet missile from 500 miles out at Old Trafford in 1977) The point here though is that they did sport beards at some point in their remarkable Villa careers & Dennis certainly did during our championship winning season of 80-81.

Big Chris also has the distinction of scoring  all 4 goals in the same match which he did at Leicester City's old Filbert St ground in a 2-2 draw in March 1976. Yes, that's right 2 own goals as well. I still have the match programme in my possession and still blame him for 2 of the goals to this day ;) .

Another very famous Beard was King Olof Mellberg who is not just a legend for his beard but also for his continually magnificent & commanding defensive performances & for his magnanimous gesture of leaving 3200 replica shirts as a `Thank You` to Villa supporters in the away end at West Ham for his & our last game of the 2007-08 season. Who can ever forget too that magnificent raised two fisted gesture of triumph & mock  as he left the field to a standing ovation in our famous 5-1 hammering of small heath alliance at Villa park in April 2008? That really put them in their place that day didn't it? :)

Another famous Villa beard that may surprise a few was occasionally sported by the most skilful player I have ever seen pull on the claret & blue Villa shirt. Step forward & take a bow son Brian Little a man who truly could walk on water. His hat trick against QPR in the 77 league cup semi final replay always stands out for me, as does his 2 goals, including the late winner in the 2nd League Cup Final Replay against Everton at Old Trafford the same year.

Although Little didn't sport a beard during his managerial reign at Villa Park, he did triumph at the helm 3-0 against Leeds in the 96 League Cup Final at Wembley thanks to 2 Yorkie goals & even Savo scored from 500 miles out ala Nicholl too. Therefore just by virtue of association, I submit that his beard during his playing spell also comes into play here to cover his managerial success too.

So, the big question is? Who wins the legendary Villa Park battle of the beards. Luna? Withe? Little? Nicholl? Mortimer? Mellberg? Or have I missed anybody out?

Before you answer,  consider this, the inventor of the Football League, Former Villa Chairman & the man with the most legendary beard of all, step forward Sir, collect 1st prize & take a bow son, take a bow.

William McGregor, a truly great man. :hooray:  The football world applauds you. :clap:

My Top  5 selection:

1 William McGregor

2 Dennis Mortimer

3 Peter Withe

4 Olof Mellberg

5 Chris Nicholl

Do you agree & if not who do you believe should be crowned Villa Park's King Of The Beards?

• Like 2

Pains me to mention it villa-revolution, but.......Trevor Hockey (ex-nose). Only played a handful of games, but has to be mentioned.

Animal.

Yes - I remember him well, especially his only goal too on the opening day at home to Preston in August 1973. He sadly passed away too from a heart attack I believe in 1987 at the very young age of 44. RIP.

Olof as he had the beard of a viking and always scratched it in interviews. :)

Also, Yorke didn't score two goals against leeds in the final. Savo, Yorke and Taylor, it was. ;) *

*Couldn't help to teach someone who'd seen more Villa games before I was born than I have in my entire life. :D

Olof as he had the beard of a viking and always scratched it in interviews. :)

Also, Yorke didn't score two goals against leeds in the final. Savo, Yorke and Taylor, it was. ;) *

*Couldn't help to teach someone who'd seen more Villa games before I was born than I have in my entire life. :D

Take a bow Pelle  Take a bow - I deliberately put that in to see if anyone would pick up on it & not much get's past you. Tayls goal was pure magic & I think he said himself that he only enjoyed his debut goal in front of the Holte End against Chelsea in December 1994 more.

One interesting fact that you may/may not know about Ian Taylor is that he also played for the City Of Birmingham's 3rd team.

To confirm that order it runs as follows:

1 Aston Villa

2 Aston Villa Reserves

3 Moor Green ;)

Â