Our three up front

hanxamillion

My feelings of optimism are gathering momentum each time I see further progress from our pre- season warm up matches.  

Would it be a bit premature to start comparing our present front three with some illustrious names from the past.

Given that last season our front  three Netted 47 in total 

Agbonlahor (12) Benteke (23) Weimann (12)  if we can build on that and get some from around the rest of the team we could well be going places this year.

We seem to be a little under the radar for the media too given our struggles and heavy defeats from last year. I bet Dicanio will remember his visit to

Villa Park.

How does the potential of these compare to some from yesteryear ?

Going back to the late 70's Deehan, Little and Gray or early 80's Withe , Morley and Shaw ? 

We have some back up too with Helenius, Bowrey, Carruthers and Greilish 

Bring it on.

Our backup worries me

None of the players mentioned are ready for the premier league (you missed Tonev and N'Zogbia, the latter I don't rate)

Perhaps for the last 10 or 15 mins they would be OK, but certainly not for 90 mins every week.

So if either CB, GA or AW get injured, I suspect we may struggle a little

the only thing that worries me is the fear Lambert will try more of a front 4 and leave the midfield woefully exposed like he did last season (before he learnt his lesson)

you can't, well we can't with our defence afford to play just two midfielders.

the only thing that worries me is the fear Lambert will try more of a front 4 and leave the midfield woefully exposed like he did last season (before he learnt his lesson)

Yeah .. This !

+ I'm afraid he'd play Gabby or Tonev in the middle .. which I think they must play wide .. While Andi could do in the middle or Helenius if needed ..

In which case your gripe will be with the manager rather than the personnel.

Quite refreshing to have a manager who our main worry is that he's too attacking, compared to "he who shall not be named" lining us up with 2 right backs isn't it ?

For me, 4-3-3 is the best formation in the majority of the games with the players we have and especially against the better teams in the league where we cant afford to have just 2 midfielders ( as Utd away showed ). 4-2-3-1 to be brought out when we are chasing a game or against the weaker teams perhaps ?

Our backup worries me

None of the players mentioned are ready for the premier league (you missed Tonev and N'Zogbia, the latter I don't rate)

Perhaps for the last 10 or 15 mins they would be OK, but certainly not for 90 mins every week.

I realize that the top of the league is a more difficult situation than it was 30 odd years ago but then our back up was  David Geddis alone up top.

Tonev is an attacking midfielder although he might be called on for forward duties if injuries force it to happen. Nzogbia is not in the plans at present so omitted him from the scenario.

Anyhow we have plenty of attacking midfielders that could support a forward two if required.

Since Delph and Sylla established there places either side of Westwood the goals against improved considerably. With forward minded wide defenders who can support the midfield

and attack we have a great shape and fluidity. 

AW  and Gabby have the energy to track back when needed and give us some width when the midfield pushes forward.

i wouldnt see a problem with playing gabby centrally with tonev and andi either side

were fortunate to have good selections for both central and wide attacking play now, youthful and energetic, no more dead donkeys

benteke, helenius, bowery and even gabby for centre

andi, tonev, albrighton, nzogbia, drennan and gabby again for wide places

These three are a threat to anyone, Benteke is massively strong, quick and can score all sorts of goals - you want to put two men on him. Gabby is strong, quick and direct - he's a handful for a right back and you want to get some help over to cover him - Weimann is everywhere at once, he's quick enough and he never gives you a break.

Between them, they must make life very difficult for a defence, no one will be looking forward to facing these three this year.

I can really see some great goal - fests coming this season, with a stronger defense and better options in midfield hopefully we will shore up the goals against column. The forward

threat this year compares well with the classes of '77 and '80. I love the lack of media attention too which will i'm sure adds more gravity to some of the back page headlines the'll

begrudgingly have to produce.

I think the spurs match would be my preferred choice for a landslide result. :D

The last time we had three players up front as good as those was when we had Yorke, Milosevic and Collymore.  Unfortunately, Little wasn't that good at making the three of them work together, and combined with Collymore's problems, it was an absolute disaster. :(

It would not surprise me at all if lambert played 4-2-4 for a few games next season. Madness. Beautiful, glorious madness.

tumblr_lxuv0i7vFH1qaee3oo1_400.gif

Our backup worries me

I realize that the top of the league is a more difficult situation than it was 30 odd years ago but then our back up was  David Geddis alone up top.

Tonev is an attacking midfielder although he might be called on for forward duties if injuries force it to happen. Nzogbia is not in the plans at present so omitted him from the scenario.

Anyhow we have plenty of attacking midfielders that could support a forward two if required.

Since Delph and Sylla established there places either side of Westwood the goals against improved considerably. With forward minded wide defenders who can support the midfield

and attack we have a great shape and fluidity. 

AW  and Gabby have the energy to track back when needed and give us some width when the midfield pushes forward.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing!

To summarise - I don't think our backup players are good enough (yet). If one of the three lads get injured, I know we have players who can come in, I just don't think they are up to the standards required. I'm sure lots of people will disagree and I hope I'm wrong

It would not surprise me at all if lambert played 4-2-4 for a few games next season. Madness. Beautiful, glorious madness.

Until you take a battering ala Chelsea, Spuds, 

yeah outside the top 6 teams I dont think their is a better attack in the league and when they gelled at end of season they showed their class and quality

Absolutely. I'd question whether we don't nip into that top 6 ahead of a Suarez-less Liverpool, a Rooney-less United and especially a Bale-less Tottenham or indeed the current Arsenal set up.

We are very, very good up there.

Until you take a battering ala Chelsea, Spuds,

In neither of those games did we play 4 up front. 3 at the back wasn't it?

Â