• 34 Lowton
  • 15 Westwood (Ireland - 56' )
  • 25 Bannan
  • 31 Herd
  • 14 Holman (Bowery - 79' )
  • 20 Benteke
  • 26 Weimann

whatever formation the Chelsea debacle was, that is no midfield

Jesus that is a poor team. If you see that team now there is no wonder we were so shit.

• 22 Guzan
  • 06 Clark
  • 30 Lichaj (Bennett - 56' )
  • 32 Baker
  • 34 Lowton
  • 15 Westwood (Ireland - 56' )
  • 25 Bannan
  • 31 Herd
  • 14 Holman (Bowery - 79' )
  • 20 Benteke
  • 26 Weimann

Those four aren't here anymore or won't get anywhere near the starting XI. Clark will probably not be in the starting XI as well. Huge improvement

• Like 1

Our backup worries me

None of the players mentioned are ready for the premier league (you missed Tonev and N'Zogbia, the latter I don't rate)

Perhaps for the last 10 or 15 mins they would be OK, but certainly not for 90 mins every week.

So if either CB, GA or AW get injured, I suspect we may struggle a little

I realize that the top of the league is a more difficult situation than it was 30 odd years ago but then our back up was  David Geddis alone up top.

Tonev is an attacking midfielder although he might be called on for forward duties if injuries force it to happen. Nzogbia is not in the plans at present so omitted him from the scenario.

Anyhow we have plenty of attacking midfielders that could support a forward two if required.

Since Delph and Sylla established there places either side of Westwood the goals against improved considerably. With forward minded wide defenders who can support the midfield

and attack we have a great shape and fluidity. 

AW  and Gabby have the energy to track back when needed and give us some width when the midfield pushes forward.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing!

To summarise - I don't think our backup players are good enough (yet). If one of the three lads get injured, I know we have players who can come in, I just don't think they are up to the standards required. I'm sure lots of people will disagree and I hope I'm wrong

I am not disagreeing with the comment that you don't think the back up is that good. BUT my point is the front THREE ( not two or one as we have had in the last say 20 years) is

VERY GOOD. Geddis was the only back up in the title winning season and with some decent new midfielders and additional defenders this time around, the whole team is a good

step up from last season. If one of these three got injured i'm sure the alternatives included with using the other two we can still carry a threat.

I'm sure we will have to be satisfied with a draw from time to time.

the only thing that worries me is the fear Lambert will try more of a front 4 and leave the midfield woefully exposed like he did last season (before he learnt his lesson)

you can't, well we can't with our defence afford to play just two midfielders.

It would not surprise me at all if lambert played 4-2-4 for a few games next season. Madness. Beautiful, glorious madness.

tumblr_lxuv0i7vFH1qaee3oo1_400.gif

Until you take a battering ala Chelsea, Spuds, 

We may take a battering anyway. Lambert my simply decide he needs to attack MORE against the top teams and roll the dice at the back.

I am all for it. What the hell, we all hated seeing AMC try and limit the damage to a goal or two, if we lose 6 or 8-0 again so what? We have endured much worse and come out the other side.

Â