Why do Scotland produce good managers and poor footballers?

PompeyVillan

If you know the answer then you should send it on a postcard to:

The Scottish Football Association, 

6th floor

Hampden Park

GLASGOW

G42 9AY

The winner gets a job with a five figure salary. 

• Like 3

Scottish teams in the 80's used to be decent... as well as the Old Firm, Aberdeen won a European trophy and Dundee United got to a final. I think the decline has been two-fold. Too many substandard overseas players being bought into the league which stopped players developing and TV money. It exploded in England with Sky but didn't really follow suit in Scotland. They just got left behind. Up until the mid 90's you could argue that Rangers were as good as anything in Englland (indeed they beat the English champions, Leeds Utd in the Champions League) but now... Celtic would probably be no better than mid table.  

Scottish teams in the 80's used to be decent... as well as the Old Firm, Aberdeen won a European trophy and Dundee United got to a final. I think the decline has been two-fold. Too many substandard overseas players being bought into the league which stopped players developing and TV money. It exploded in England with Sky but didn't really follow suit in Scotland. They just got left behind. Up until the mid 90's you could argue that Rangers were as good as anything in Englland (indeed they beat the English champions, Leeds Utd in the Champions League) but now... Celtic would probably be no better than mid table.  

Celtic would be relegation contenders, arguably.

Scottish teams in the 80's used to be decent..

And most of the players that made up these teams are now the good managers you speak of.

I fully agree with the rest of that post though.

I think Scotland have got left behind financially, they can't develop the training facilities now needed to create the modern footballer. And if one does manage it they are going unnoticed at the clubs the world forgot.

Managers don't need quite so much advanced training, it's a mental thing and man management, which are skills they already.

Why are Croatia and Uruguay doing so well of late then?  They both have smaller populations than Scotland, and I don't think either country has a richer Football Association either. 

Celtic (and Rangers) would be in the top six or eight of the Premier League within five years of joining it.   If they got £60m a year just for being in the division then they wouldn't be using the players they currently use, and they would be able to secure massive sponsorship deals because of the large support they have.  They would overtake the likes of us very quickly. 

• Like 1

Overtake? I think they already better. Anyway another reason Scotland no longer produces top player's is because are not playing football on the streets anymore as much as they used to.

They play in a shitty league which they want out of and they would gladly swap their league position with us, so on those grounds I'd say they are behind us.   In terms of support and potential, they are miles ahead of course, but a lot of that is down to a hundred years of dominance and exploiting religious and political bigotry. Had they started in the English leagues like Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham did then I doubt either Glasgow club would be as huge as they are today and that is the main reason why they should not be allowed to walk straight into the Premier League. 

• Like 2

Why are Croatia and Uruguay doing so well of late then?  They both have smaller populations than Scotland, and I don't think either country has a richer Football Association either. 

And Bosnia.

And Bosnia.

Why do the Czechs constantly have very strong national teams?  :D

It depends what time scale you are using. If we are talking about right now, as in at this exact moment, then maybe there are not that many but if we say the last 15 years, I can list you loads.

There have been a disproportionate amount of successful Scottish managers over the past ten to fifteen years, I don't think anybody can debate that point.  I think there are four in the division at the moment, Lambert,  Malky Mackay at Cardiff, Steve Clark at the Baggies and David Moyes at Manchester United.  

Â