VillaGoMarching

I agree that Spurs aren't title contenders but I'd have to back them for at least 4th if they keep Bale. After the investment they've made it would have to be considered a failure for them not to get there.

Not sure about that. There are such random variables that even a side with the quality Chelsea possessed a couple of seasons back could finish outside the top four. I think ourselves, Liverpool, and Arsenal are much of a muchness, if you were forced to rank us you'd probably, as it stands, go Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, but the quality difference is so slight that randomness means it could go in any order.

I agree that Spurs aren't title contenders but I'd have to back them for at least 4th if they keep Bale. After the investment they've made it would have to be considered a failure for them not to get there.

Not sure about that. There are such random variables that even a side with the quality Chelsea possessed a couple of seasons back could finish outside the top four. I think ourselves, Liverpool, and Arsenal are much of a muchness, if you were forced to rank us you'd probably, as it stands, go Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, but the quality difference is so slight that randomness means it could go in any order.

I honestly think Liverpool are nowhere near either of you cockney spiv brigades in terms of quality of squad. :)

They were 11 points off last season, their signings aren't a patch on yours and their star man is a raving lunatic.

• Like 1

I honestly think Liverpool are nowhere near either of you cockney spiv brigades in terms of quality of squad. :)

They were 11 points off last season, their signings aren't a patch on yours and their star man is a raving lunatic.

I think the points difference between us can be explained by random variables as much as a quality difference. Perhaps we were over all a couple of points better, but if randomness causes Liverpool to achieve five points less than their expected total, and we achieve five more for the same reason, then you easily get that 11 point gap.

You need incredible consistency to win the title these days.

Incredible to think that Man. United went until May before they actually went two league games without winning. They won 29 of their 38 league games (and could easily have been more but they eased off in the last few weeks like that West Brom game), could Spurs do that? I don't think so.

Around 85-90 points to win the league these days, Spurs got 70 didn't they last time (and I'd argue 20 of those came pretty much singlehandly from individual brilliance from one man)

Opposition teams will look at Spurs at home as a game more likely for them to pick up points than say the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea and will put in a performance accordingly.

Only way us or Spurs will ever win the league again is if it's a Dubai scale takeover I'm sorry to say. And even then it's not cast in stone.

If we sell Parker, BAE and one of Adebayor or Defoe, that'll come down another £14m or so to around £20m. 

No chance you'd get £14m, even if you sold all four of those players. Spurs would be lucky to give Adebayor away given the wages he's on.

Edited by villa89

Can't see either coming in unless Bale leaves tbh otherwise you're running out of first 11 spots as I assume Paulinho will just play off the striker and Chadli will be on the right?

Spurs won't keep everyone happy just rotating for the domestic cups and Europa league anyway.

You need incredible consistency to win the title these days.

Incredible to think that Man. United went until May before they actually went two league games without winning. They won 29 of their 38 league games (and could easily have been more but they eased off in the last few weeks like that West Brom game), could Spurs do that? I don't think so.

Around 85-90 points to win the league these days, Spurs got 70 didn't they last time (and I'd argue 20 of those came pretty much singlehandly from individual brilliance from one man)

Opposition teams will look at Spurs at home as a game more likely for them to pick up points than say the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea and will put in a performance accordingly.

Only way us or Spurs will ever win the league again is if it's a Dubai scale takeover I'm sorry to say. And even then it's not cast in stone.

Borussia Dortmund!

If we sell Parker, BAE and one of Adebayor or Defoe, that'll come down another £14m or so to around £20m. 

No chance you'd get £14m, even if you sold all four of those players. Spurs would be lucky to give Adebayor away given the wages he's on.

Adebayor's on £90k p/w. We've already had an offer of around £8m from Besiktas. Defoe will also go to a mid-table type club for a similar price. Parker is subject to a £3.5m bid from QPR. BAE I imagine will raise about £3.5m. So 8m + 3.5m + 3.5m = £15m.

Spurs aren't finishing top 4 this season, you can bet your house on it.

Expert knowledge, or wishful thinking?

Adebayor's on £90k p/w. We've already had an offer of around £8m from Besiktas

You'll find that was Euros not £'s (there is a bit of a difference) and with the lack of interest since it's safe to say the £8m Spurs want (according to his agent) isn't going to be achieved and they will more likely to settle for £5m.

I think Spurs will be close to the top 4 if the new striker stays fit and they keep Bale and he stays fit. Failure of either of these and it'll be the same top 4 again with Wilshire like a new signing for Arsenal

Adebayor's on £90k p/w. We've already had an offer of around £8m from Besiktas. Defoe will also go to a mid-table type club for a similar price. Parker is subject to a £3.5m bid from QPR. BAE I imagine will raise about £3.5m. So 8m + 3.5m + 3.5m = £15m.

Really, he took a 130K a week pay cut to join Spurs or is that 90K that spurs are paying him not counting the rest that Man City have to pay him? Also if Spurs had an offer of around £8m for him then why haven't they accepted it?  Finally 30 year old Jermaine Defoe worth £8m?  

I thought he was on 100k p/w?

Adebayor's on £90k p/w. We've already had an offer of around £8m from Besiktas

You'll find that was Euros not £'s (there is a bit of a difference) and with the lack of interest since it's safe to say the £8m Spurs want (according to his agent) isn't going to be achieved and they will more likely to settle for £5m.

I think Spurs will be close to the top 4 if the new striker stays fit and they keep Bale and he stays fit. Failure of either of these and it'll be the same top 4 again with Wilshire like a new signing for Arsenal

Really, he took a 130K a week pay cut to join Spurs or is that 90K that spurs are paying him not counting the rest that Man City have to pay him? Also if Spurs had an offer of around £8m for him then why haven't they accepted it?  Finally 30 year old Jermaine Defoe worth £8m?  

Defoe and Adebayor won't both leave. Unless you're happy with Harry Kane up top when Soldado picks up an injury?

Adebayor negotiated a £5m pay-off from City, the payment of which was the point of argument between Spurs and City for most of last summer. That £5m was in lieu of silly wages. Hence he's on £90k a week.

I accept it may only be £5m that we get.

He hasn't gone to Beksiktas because he didn;t want to. He may choose to remain and fight for his place. Something I'd be happy for him to do. I;d prefer Defoe to go than Adebayor, even though Adebayor's not got us in his blood and Defoe has.

I said Adebayor or Defoe deliberately.

We finished top four for two out of the last four seasons and finished 5th in the other two. Hopefully we'll be in and around there again, and I hope we'll even push on beyond that. I think there are three or possibly four teams of similar quality this season and that realistically places from third down are up for grabs. I think we're stronger in respect of our rivals than ever before, however I think we're not stand-out stronger than any of them, and because randomness plays a huge part it's quite possible we finish 6th or below.

Â