FIFA lose free to air appeal for World Cup matches.

The_Rev

Humidity doesn't make it feel  hotter just more uncomfortable. 

It DEFINITELY makes it feel hotter, which is why it's referred to over here as the "feels like" temperature. Case in point it's currently 28 degrees here, which is normally quite nice, with the humidex it's 38 and it feels like a bloody oven outside. 28 feeling like 28 is pleasant, 28 feeling like 38 is a different ball game

ive already got sky and cant stand watching football on BBC or ITV so not actually that for this news, saw someone on twitter moaning that the ashes should be on free tv, why? skys coverage of it is superb

i agree that i dont want FIFA, UEFA or the german (?) company that somehow owns the main rights to it making tons of money either but at the same time i dont want the BBC taking liberties with my TV license and buildig their own tv studio miles away from the designated one just because they can...

and i think you lot arguing about temperatures are forgetting pitchside temperatures, something which wasnt thought about in 94 but will be controlled in Qatar (im sure theyd built in fans / air con in to the stadium designs)

cant agree I remember USA 94 and Ireland played in hostile conditions in Orlando which were a lot higher than 50 degrees in Qatar

Bollocks. 

EDIT In an attempt to be more productive than that  LA times reports 91 degrees (F)

in attempt to be productive you got the wrong game ;):P

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/25/sports/world-cup-94-some-like-it-hot-but-not-ireland-as-garcia-s-goals-pace-mexico.html

Correct game. Same conditions. "Temperature's into the 90s" 

Charlton's 100oF comments are nonsense since he can't even remember which continent its on. 

Also: Average June/July temps for Orlando - 32oC  for Doha? 37oC not quite the same is it? 

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/25/sports/world-cup-94-some-like-it-hot-but-not-ireland-as-garcia-s-goals-pace-mexico.html

Correct game. Same conditions. "Temperature's into the 90s" 

Charlton's 100oF comments are nonsense since he can't even remember which continent its on. 

Also: Average June/July temps for Orlando - 32oC  for Doha? 37oC not quite the same is it?

You're wrong on humidex though. It does make things feel hotter. And given that Orlando would have humidity that Doha wouldn't have ... you know where we're going here :)

well my point in the end :P was that I dont think FIFA will move the World Cup, USA, Mexico were all ridiculously hot for World Cups and have actually been voted some of better World Cups. Russia will be really warm as well.

If players are given fluid breaks and if Qatar can get this air-conditioning it will be ok

They are supposed to have air condition on each seat for the stadium(still seems unreasonable, even with that kind of money) I am guessing they mean the whole stadium, something really sophisticated. There is also that artificial cloud over the stadium. Heck, I read they are supposed to have water taxis that lead into the stadium. That is pretty sick. But still, this might have been changed, been probably around a year at least since I read anything about it. A whole stadium is also supposed to have a screen around it, basically the whole stadium from the outside is a giant oval/square television. Honestly the whole thing should be shut down and moved somewhere else.

At least one player will die due to the heat.

And a homosexual will be beheaded.

This is the reality we are dealing with people!

like the way all the black people would be racially abused and tortured like in Ukraine or all the fans be mugged in South Africa?

get a grip

At least one player will die due to the heat.

And a homosexual will be beheaded.

This is the reality we are dealing with people!

like the way all the black people would be racially abused and tortured like in Ukraine or all the fans be mugged in South Africa?

get a grip

Indeed.

which is surprising seeing as that will send the carbon footprint through the roof

The oil rich middle-east cares about carbon footprints now? /jk

As I've said several times before (and we're straying off topic here), surely the FIRST thing that should be assessed about a world cup host candidate is whether it is actually capable of hosting the event.

And having temperatures of 50 odd degrees is a big X in that box.

Qatar shouldn't have even been considered, let alone chosen.

But when you only have twenty odd people deciding on where the world cup is held, it's quite easy to bribe enough of them so you win a vote.  FIFA is a corrupt organisation and the people at the top of it need taking down. 

• Like 4

As I've said several times before (and we're straying off topic here), surely the FIRST thing that should be assessed about a world cup host candidate is whether it is actually capable of hosting the event.

And having temperatures of 50 odd degrees is a big X in that box.

Qatar shouldn't have even been considered, let alone chosen.

But when you only have twenty odd people deciding on where the world cup is held, it's quite easy to bribe enough of them so you win a vote.  FIFA is a corrupt organisation and the people at the top of it need taking down. 

Well absolutely, which was, indirectly, my point.

If they were actually considering the venues in a normal, non corrupt way, I don't think Qatar would have been given the time of day.

I still can't fully believe the world cup is going to happen in Qatar. I'm still waiting for something to conveniently happen that means the event has to be swapped to somewhere else. It's too stupid a decision to be allowed to stand. It's almost Python-esque :)

Didn't Qatar say they'd build air-conditioned domes? Or is that too expensive now?

article from last december 

qatars 2022 world cup organisers have reiterated their commitment to holding the controversial tournament in summer temperatures of up to 41C (105.8F) despite a growing campaign to move it to the winter. They also claimed that not only would they successfully develop air-conditioned stadiums but would be able to cool entire neighbourhoods for fans.

Hassan al-Thawadi, the secretary general of the Qatar 2022 supreme committee, also rejected repeated corruption allegations and defended the fan experience at a tournament that will take place in a compact area but amid searing heat.

"Fans will come. They will experience a middle eastern World Cup. They will feel safe, they will feel secure, they will feel comfortable and they will have a lot of fun," he said. "They will be physically cool and they will be cool in every sense."

Qatar is believed to be investing £137bn over the next 10 years in infrastructure projects before the World Cup and al-Thawadi claimed that cooling technology would be used over wider areas than originally thought.

"There are two cities where the neighbourhoods use active and passive cooling techniques, whether in terms of shading or the way it brings in the wind," he told the Guardian. "Blowing in the cooled air is the active aspect but at the same time utilising shading techniques. Part of our commitment is that when fans come in they'll enjoy their time here. We made that commitment to the world and we can't back away from it."

Last year the respected stadium designer John Barrow of Populus said the air cooling technology was unsustainable in larger venues. But organisers say the plans are on track. "Populus weren't working on our cooling technology. We've got a prototype coming very soon. It's our commitment, absolutely," said al-Thawadi.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/12/qatar-cool-2022-world-cup

Â