Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Waterstones are doomed.

I hope not as it is my favourite shop. However, I fear you are right!

The smell of books......mmmmmmmm

You are a freak! :lol:

Then I'm a freak too. Books have so many different - and evocative - smells. The shiny glossy ones, the cheap ones, the foreign ones, the dusty old 1960s paperbacks... Sniffing a book is part of the ritual of reading it, much like getting the aroma of wine before tasting.

The smell of the book is one of the main reasons I will never own a Kindle.

Waterstones are doomed.

Then I'm a freak too. Books have so many different - and evocative - smells. The shiny glossy ones, the cheap ones, the foreign ones, the dusty old 1960s paperbacks... Sniffing a book is part of the ritual of reading it, much like getting the aroma of wine before tasting.

The smell of the book is one of the main reasons I will never own a Kindle.

I much prefer the smell of petrol if im honest.

Actually, on that note, 3D-TVs. They don't piss me off so much, more I don't see the point. The family all sitting round with glasses on to make the screen look like it's ever so slightly coming at them, if they're sitting at the right angle.

It doesn't work a lot of the time for me either, I just see the picture twice. I'm not against '3D' as such, but it needs to be 10 times better than it is now for me to fork out for a TV.

3D is pointless. When it came out I was convinced it would juts become "the norm", just like HD will become the norm, and colour before that etc.

But now I'm not convinced. I think it'll die a death. It's just a gimmick.

3D is pointless. When it came out I was convinced it would juts become "the norm", just like HD will become the norm, and colour before that etc.

But now I'm not convinced. I think it'll die a death. It's just a gimmick.

I've thought this from day 1, 3D won't catch on.

Only ever seen a couple of IMAX documentaries in 3D. It was a fun experience, but it certainly didn't make me want to ever see feature films that way.

I don't even like watching Pixar-type animations, they **** with my eyesight/brain. Took me ages to work out why - I think it's to do with depth of field. In a 'flat' animation, it's just like looking at a painting. The Pixar movies have a 'solidity' that simulates 'real life' viewing. But in real life viewing, our eyes can only focus on one distance zone at a time - if we concentrate on the foreground, the background goes slightly blurry, and vice-versa. Our brains accept that and it doesn't present any problems, as we can adjust very quickly without even thinking.

Pixar films are pin-sharp from the (apparent) 'foreground', right through to the (apparent) 'distance', so when we give out attention to one, the other stays in focus. Which is 'wrong'.

3D produces a similar effect - it **** with your head (well it does with mine, anyway). Do not like.

Waterstones are doomed.

I had a Saturday job in a bookshop from the age of 15 to 18. I love bookshops and books, and the smell is a big part of that. There used to be a wonderful second hand bookshop in Wigan that was essentially a three storey house with just piles and piles of books everywhere. God knows how they passed any sort of Health and Safety visits, as you literally had to climb over piles, but I have a feeling you'd have loved it Mike.

Does anyone else get a headache after watching a 3D TV?
No, but I do have dry tired eyes after watching a 3D movie in the cinema. Probably because I must simply stop blinking unbenounced to myself.

The only time 3D looks particularly impressive on films is when the film is specifically made to enhance the 3D (stuff flying at the screen and all that)

But that, to me, would take away from the film itself if you have to build in stuff like that to the scenes.

Genuinely the only movie I've seen where I've thought "That film wouldn't have been as good if it wasn't for the 3D" was Jackass 3D

Agreed. I've talked about Jackass 3D before. Couple of beers and watched it with mates in the cinema. It was proper funny. I'm not a big jackass fan but that was hilarious.

Â